What one book would you recommend to take on a long ocean voyage?

9 hours ago, Teeara said:

Dune and the Dune Encyclopedia would be a good choice especially if you've never read Dune.   Really looking forward to digging back into Dune after a good couple of decades away from the series.  Movie reviews are coming out and they sound pretty good.

Yea - I may have to re-read/re-listen Dune on our December cruise - just to get prepared for the 2021 movie. I enjoyed the 1984 original movie, It added flavor, and visualization to the book, but the book provided so much more depth. I guess that is typical of many movies made from books. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Here's an updated list:

Mark Twain:  Innocents Abroad

The Source  by James Mitchener 

A book with blank pages, i.e. a journal

Anything by James Mitchener

"The Winds Of War” by Herman Wouk

“The Only Way To Cross” by John Maxtone Graham

Jack Reacher book by Lee Childs titled 'Worth Dieing For'

one or more novels set in a place where I'll be

a book about a place, such as the one about the history of the Tower of Pisa I read before that visit

When I am going to be sailing in areas of the ocean where significant maritime events have taken   place, I will try to find some books to read when I am in that area.

Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett

Books by Brian David Bruns, a former Carnival Cruise Lines crew member.  An example of a title:  Ship for Brains:  This ain't no galley tour.

Books by Mark Greaney whose "hero" is a character called "The Gray Man".  An example of a title:  Agent in Place

The Path Between the Seas, the definitive story of the building of the Panama canal.

By David McCullough

Stephen King's "The Stand"

all the books by Daniel Silva

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas

historical fiction or mysteries (paperbacks)

Kon-Tiki by Thor Heyerdahl

Heinlein - Future Histories (A compilation of many shorter stories - In sort of a time line sequence)

Heinlein -Time Enough for Love

Herbert - Dune

Tolkien - The Hobbit/Lord of the Rings Trilogy

Weber - Off Armageddon Reef

War And Peace by Leo Tolstoy.

Dune and the Dune Encyclopedia

Farmer in the Sky and Have Space Suit Will Travel (kid books)

Dragonriders of Pern books by Anne McCaffrey

Clan of the Cave Bear series by Jean Auel

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

"Sisters-In-Law" by Hirshman (about Sandra D. O'Connor & Ruth B. Ginsberg)

Historical Book for any ports or regions you visit to better appreciate them

"Hawaii" by James Mitchner

"The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt" by Morris

Any legal thriller by James Grisham (favorite: The Pelican Brief)

Edited by Thunderbird19

Wandering the World with George by Dorothy Grant Hennings.  This is a travel memoir by Mrs. Hennings concerning their many years of travel by plane and  cruises of all types including river and world cruises.  The publisher is Kean University Press.  Both of the Hennings were Professors at Kean University.  The book is supposed to be available through Amazon, but, I had to contact the publisher in order to get the book.  $24.99; Mrs. Hennings does not profit from the proceeds from the book.  The proceeds go to the Kean University Foundation.  

I have cruised with the Hennings on at least two occasions.  Interesting, curious about what they see/learn, and very pleasant people!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here's an updated list:

a book about a place, such as the one about the history of the Tower of Pisa I read before that visit

When I am going to be sailing in areas of the ocean where significant maritime events have taken   place, I will try to find some books to read when I am in that area.

Books by Brian David Bruns, a former Carnival Cruise Lines crew member.  An example of a title:  Ship for Brains:  This ain't no galley tour.

Books by Mark Greaney whose "hero" is a character called "The Gray Man".  An example of a title:  Agent in Place

The Path Between the Seas, the definitive story of the building of the Panama canal.

By David McCullough

Heinlein - Future Histories (A compilation of many shorter stories - In sort of a time line sequence)

Herbert - Dune

Sisters-In-Law" by Hirshman (about Sandra D. O'Connor & Ruth B. Ginsberg)

The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt" by Morris

Wandering the World with George by Dorothy Grant Hennings

Miguel de Cervantes' Don Quixote

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/15/2022 at 3:19 AM, Thunderbird19 said:

John Grisham.  That would be my recommendation.  The last one I read (didn't finish yet) was Gray Mountain.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/20/2022 at 1:46 PM, cruzin4us said:

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon --- BTW it is a super audio book too (great narrator).

I am currently finishing Voyager. I'm rereading so that I con hopefully be far enough along to bring the newest and maybe the one before it. All of them are ridiculously long.📗

Just now, PurpleHays said:

I am currently finishing Voyager. I'm rereading so that I con hopefully be far enough along to bring the newest and maybe the one before it. All of them are ridiculously long.📗

They are ridiculously long but I love the series anyway.    I highly recommend listening to it on an audiobook.   I added to my iphone and then just carry some earplugs around with me in my purse.   It connects to my car stereo and it makes my 2 hr daily commute go by fast.   The narrator is insanely good.

18 minutes ago, cruzin4us said:

They are ridiculously long but I love the series anyway.    I highly recommend listening to it on an audiobook.   I added to my iphone and then just carry some earplugs around with me in my purse.   It connects to my car stereo and it makes my 2 hr daily commute go by fast.   The narrator is insanely good.

I have a mild hearing loss--I'd rather read than listen. It's easier. However, I get it for a long commute. Mine is only 20 minutes and not long enough IMO.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/24/2022 at 11:36 AM, PurpleHays said:

On 3/24/2022 at 11:58 AM, PurpleHays said:

I have a mild hearing loss--I'd rather read than listen. It's easier. However, I get it for a long commute. Mine is only 20 minutes and not long enough IMO.

Outlander series is well researched (at least as far as I know the Scottish adventures, because my ancestral home of genetic memory is the Scottish Highlands) and simply captivating.  Not being completely educated in American literature apart from some publications I studied at university, I can't vouch for her accurate depictions of historic America.  Clever use of the time tool, and the mystique of, "well, could it be so?".  I have read each and every book in the series.  Also, of course, anything at all by Jodi Picoult and Anita Shreve.   They tackle the edgy topics (particularly Picoult)  and are born storytellers.   I have a degree in professional writing, and I truly believe they are the modern-day classic writers of yesteryear. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

For a TA going east, anything by Edward Rutherford if you enjoy historical fiction. I especially enjoyed Sarum., London, and Paris. They're  loooooong,  and like many of Micheners start millenia ago and proceed forward. 

For Pacific/Asian cruises, then I'd like the historical novels by Janes Clavell. I'm just finishing rereading Shogun, which is set in Japan.  Others, set in Hone Kong that I liked are Noble House and Taipan. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, mom says said:

For a TA going east, anything by Edward Rutherford if you enjoy historical fiction. I especially enjoyed Sarum., London, and Paris. They're  loooooong,  and like many of Micheners start millenia ago and proceed forward. 

For Pacific/Asian cruises, then I'd like the historical novels by Janes Clavell. I'm just finishing rereading Shogun, which is set in Japan.  Others, set in Hone Kong that I liked are Noble House and Taipan. 

Well, I can't believe I've never heard of Edward Rutherfurd and Sarum.  Thanks for the tip; I plan on trying it out without the benefit of a cruise!

• Like 2

Oh, and my favourites to return to many times:  my travel diaries which I keep religiously for every trip.  It's so easy to forget the little details, and just one page can conjure memories of an entire voyage.  The first year (2010 I think) I had an iPad, I thought I was far too clever to keep a handwritten journal, and then couldn't find the texts I'd written.  Back to basics, which I've done ever since😊

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Thank you everyone for your contributions 🙂

Here's an updated list:

By David McCullough

Herbert - Dune

Sisters-In-Law" by Hirshman (about Sandra D. O'Connor & Ruth B. Ginsberg)

The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt" by Morris

Wandering the World with George by Dorothy Grant Hennings

Miguel de Cervantes' Don Quixote

New York Times crossword collections

John Grisham

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon --- BTW it is a super audio book too (great narrator)

anything at all by Jodi Picoult and Anita Shreve.

For a TA going east, anything by Edward Rutherford if you enjoy historical fiction.

For Pacific/Asian cruises, then I'd like the historical novels by Janes Clavell

travel diaries

Ann Rice’s The Witching hour

Stephen King’s 11/22/63

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm a voracious reader, and I don't think a single book could last me a whole voyage, nor could I pick one to save my life!

For audiobooks, I really do need to second (third? fourth?) the recommendation for the Outlander books. Davina Porter (the reader) has the NICEST voice. 

For fantasy-romance (with more than a hint of kink), the Kushiel series (9 books in total, each large) by Jacqueline Carey, would keep someone busy for quite a while. They're a lot of fun.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

I like Alison Weir.  She writes historical fiction and non fiction.  My favorite is 'Innocent Traitor', a novel about Lady Jane Grey.  Currently, I'm working on her 'Six Tudor Queen Series - Anne Bolyn, A King's Obsession'.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1