Deceased cabinmate question??

zoncom

I have just found out my longtime cabinmate has died. W had several long cruises deposited and one waitlisted. My other cabinmate cannot go or does not want to go. Cruisemates site seems to be gone. How does O handle this  situation?  I do not trust O and want real experience answers only, no guesses.  Would like to go but  I cannot pay the double tab  .Are there any cruise share sites out there currently?

Only actual website I knew of was Cruisemates but I believe if you search something like "cruisemate wanted" or Cruise companion (which I did a few years ago), there were other sites that showed up...not as specifically targeted as Cruisemates used to be.  Do not have any knowledge about Oceania's handling of the other question,

QUESTION:  Have you tried other friends who might be willing to take one (or other) of the booked cruises?  I sympathize with your problem!

I had booked a TA from NY-Southampton in April 2018 for myself because my husband's vision problems had become so serious that he did not want to travel any more.  I contacted a best friend from grammar school days and she joined on.

In the end we both had to cancel, which was in the end a good thing -- weather on the cruise was terrible (ask Lyn) and there are other reasons I won't go into, just because they are extraneous.

But when I first decided I wanted to look for a travel companion I had a list of friends to ask, and the first one I asked was all for it.

I think it's better to cruise with someone you know that someone you do not!  But you may not have that choice ...

Good luck.  This isn't an easy situation to deal with ... and I don't think I'd trust the cruise line to catch me up with another single traveler either!

Mura

Professional Travel Agents often have a large cadre of varied clients with multiple needs. My Travel Agent puts together cruise groupsthat typically involves matching single cruisers with partners.

If you utilize the services of a professional travel agent , I would suggest that is the natural place to start your quest.

On 3/24/2021 at 9:06 PM, Mura said:

and I don't think I'd trust the cruise line to catch me up with another single traveler either!

Because of liability issues, I don't think any cruise line would dare be a part of that.  I recall when HAL used to do that...if they couldn't find someone of the same sex, they would give you the whole cabin for half price, but that practice ended long ago...

Found out from O deposit is returned to card it was issued from with death certificate I met the deceased lady on CruiseMates.com, which does not come up.. We are mostly well traveled and have our particular tastes and budgets. My BF does not like S.Pacific. So I just cancelled and moved my deposit over.

Too bad about Cruisemates.  I know of several people who traveled literally the world with someone they met through that site.  Not everyone knows someone else who has the time, money or interest to travel extensively and I think it was a great benefit.  Long ago I was a member of a female only group called JUGS (Just Us Girls) that did annual cruises & did several cruises with the group & had a cabinmate I first met on the ship (we ended up on 3 cruises together over time)...but not sure if they still exist.  And I wouldn't currently know anyone else beside my former college roommate who has the interest or funds for extensive travel.  There are still travel (not strictly cruise) companies that will try to match people with someone else on a tour...don't recall company names but know a few people who have used them.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/28/2021 at 11:29 AM, zoncom said:

Pinot, whats contact of TA that makes up groups?   I went with JUGS many years ago. Thanks.

When did you travel w/ JUGS?  It's been a long time - 2000 - 2003 - since I did!  Amazing they are still around.