Apex moving to Athens for 7 night cruises for summer 2021

TMaine

18 minutes ago, Miaminice said:

There´s talk about a EU vaccination passport. Some are in favor, some are against it.
However, most have always had official (WHO) vaccination booklets for regular vaccinations like flu, hepatitis, tetanus etc.

I had my first shot two days ago and the small AstraZeneca sticker was added and it was stamped. 
Additional to that I received a confirmation of my first vaccination by the vaccination center.

Thanks for the info.  Do you know if this process is unique for Germany or if most of the EU countries follow this procedure with a record at a vaccination center?

16 hours ago, voyager1964 said:

Does anybody know or have past experience with Celebrity moving the flights to a new itinerary? I wonder if they can keep same dates and class of services.

Thanks!

I changed flights through Celebrity air when we moved our cruise to Spain from May to September and booked the air at the prevailing price at time of rebooking. We were on Business class and ticket cost went from $2400 to $3020 pp when we changed.

1 hour ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Thanks for the info.  Do you know if this process is unique for Germany or if most of the EU countries follow this procedure with a record at a vaccination center?

The UK is no longer part of the EU although of course still in Europe.  As far as it goes here you are given a card when your first dose is given and updated with the second dose. I went into my online medical records that is held by my GP and it shows there too. 

Phil 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

I know for sure that this is the case - in one form or another - in some other countries. 
I am certain some form of record exists in all of the countries.

I had 2 B2B on the Apex around Italy, France and the Med starting 24 July.  Just had confirmation on Thursday they have cancelled those and transferred the itineraries over for same dates and cabin to the Greek Island cruise, B2B, starting from Athens, and the next week a similar itinerary but also 2 ports in Israel.

Some details on my planner, but a bit mixed up with old/new details and I cannot book anything as yet, re trips etc, but at least I know what is happening. I am guessing come Tuesday, the planner will be updated and we can book tours etc. Didnt have to do anything, all details and offers are the same. Interesting to compare prices - will I get a refund, or asked to pay any difference, or just leave things as they are!?  We are in an Aft Sky Suite, so hopefully will be fun....

Quite excited now!

2 hours ago, kittywife77 said:

I wonder how many cabins will actually be available on Tuesday morning? They seem to be shifting people previously booked on the now redundant Apex itineraries to this one. 

I have a feeling it will be a bun fight!

Indeed! wish there was some idea of pricing now. TA has no more info than CC on that.  I only have 1 date that works for us so it could be a non-starter.....

Edited by librarylady19

On 3/25/2021 at 4:01 PM, Miaminice said:

Greece can‘t decide on lifting entry restrictions alone... it‘s a European decision. And as long as Europeans are banned from the US, not much will change in Europe.

Miaminice you are getting much too caught up in the actual facts.  Americans cannot fly back and forth to Greece.  Just a minor inconvenience here I guess.  

Edited by TeeRick
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Miaminice you are getting much to caught up in the actual facts.  Americans cannot fly back and forth to Greece.  Just a minor inconvenience here I guess.  

yeah, I keep forgetting... facts are so old school.

Nothing beats unsubstantiated gossip 😉

• Like 2

I just want to thank all the brave souls who will lead us back to the crusing era, testing the waters, so to speak, along with many uncertainties.  We certainly have to start somewhere, so many thanks for being willing to do whatever it takes to get us all back to our love of the sea.  We are vaccinated and ready for the Fall.

Thank you!

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 1

According to NYT:

"Greece, one of the most popular European summer destinations for Americans, announced this month that it would reopen for all tourists in mid-May, as long as they show proof of vaccination, antibodies or a negative Covid-19 test result before traveling. All visitors will be subject to random testing upon arrival."

No, it's not a fact yet, but I'm willing to book now and hopefully we can go, otherwise it's just another cancelled cruise.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, librarylady19 said:

According to NYT:

"Greece, one of the most popular European summer destinations for Americans, announced this month that it would reopen for all tourists in mid-May, as long as they show proof of vaccination, antibodies or a negative Covid-19 test result before traveling. All visitors will be subject to random testing upon arrival."

No, it's not a fact yet, but I'm willing to book now and hopefully we can go, otherwise it's just another cancelled cruise.

This is good news indeed and I am sure that is why Celebrity has moved the Apex to Athens for the summer.

On 3/24/2021 at 4:16 PM, TMaine said:

It seems like this deserves its own thread.  Documents showing port traffic in Pireas shows Apex there every Saturday. 

Cruise_PDF_2021_23-03-2021_1.pdf 125.72 kB · 80 downloads

TMaine,

Thanks for advance posting. Would you be able to find similar schedules for Apex ports of call?

Thanks

I've been in contact with both my travel agent and with Celebrity.  Both have been doing a lot of work to move my cruises to the new itineraries...and I don't think they do that if Celebrity hasn't been working behind the scenes to pave the way...and, since they've announced it and started moving people, I feel pretty confident they wouldn't waste all that time if they didn't have some assurances that they'd be able to deliver...

As far as I am concerned, I fully believe that I will be onboard Apex this July...

• Like 3

4 hours ago, BigAl94 said:

Shengen area only apparently

Where did you read that? From The Guardian online:

"Greece hopes to reopen its doors to visitors on 14 May, the country’s tourism minister has said as he announced a much-awaited date for the tourist season to officially begin.

Haris Theoharis told the IBT Berlin tourism fair, the world’s largest, that Greece would after this date welcome anyone who had been vaccinated, had antibodies or had tested negative for coronavirus.

“We aim to open tourism by 14 May with specific rules and updated protocols,” he said. “Until then, we will gradually lift restrictions if conditions allow.”

See also:

https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/ports-destinations/greek-tourism-ministers-cruise-outreach-triggers-eekfn-blowback

Edited by librarylady19

On 3/25/2021 at 4:01 PM, Miaminice said:

Greece can‘t decide on lifting entry restrictions alone... it‘s a European decision. And as long as Europeans are banned from the US, not much will change in Europe.

From the article posted above:

Most of Europe has been off-limits to most U.S. citizens for over a year, and the continent is currently grappling with a third wave of coronavirus infections and a surge in new, more contagious variants, making it unclear when its borders will reopen. But some European countries have started to welcome vaccinated travelers, including American tourists, and others are making preparations to ease restrictions in time for the summer season.

Vaccine and health certificates that would help speed travel are under development, which could make it easier for tourism to restart. The 27 member countries of the European Union have endorsed the idea of a vaccine certificate. While individual European countries will still set their own rules, the initiative is expected to establish a coordinated approach across the continent."

23 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Miaminice you are getting much too caught up in the actual facts.  Americans cannot fly back and forth to Greece.  Just a minor inconvenience here I guess.  

Guess it is a good thing none of the cruises are scheduled for today.  Greece is not opening to US travelers until May, so today's restrictions are subject to change just like everything else this past year.  Those who don't want to hope for the best don't have to.

I have been following this because although I've been able to travel there as a dual citizen I am still waiting until my husband can also come with me.

Edited by vjmatty
  • Like 1