Skagway White Pass Train Excursion - 2.75 hour or 3.5 hour?

mcert

Hi,
We just booked an Alaska cruise. Very excited!

We have been looking at the White Pass train excursion out of Skagway. There are 2 options. One is 2.75 hours and is the train only. The other is 3.5 hours and also includes a bus as well, stopping at a few more places. It’s also $40 more per person.

My question is whether or not the 3.5 hour tour is worth the additional time and money.

Thanks for your help!
Edited by mcert

• mcert changed the title to Skagway White Pass Train Excursion - 2.75 hour or 3.5 hour?
23 hours ago, mcert said:

My question is whether or not the 3.5 hour tour is worth the additional time and money.

Welcome to Cruise Critici, mcert!

When I did a tour that involved the White Pass Railway, my tour went all the way to Carcross in Canada.  Bus their and the train back to Skagway.  I don't recall the length of time of the tour, but I am sure it was longer than 3.5 hours.  I saw more than the shorter tours and I would recommend that tour if such is available.

I assume your cruise will be in 2022.  Canada, hopefully, will be open by then, so getting into and out of Canada ought not to be a problem.  

• Like 1

I'm not sure what your comfort level is but another suggestion is to rent a car and drive. The train parallels the road most of the way so you'll see most of the same things. We rented a car for our party of four and saved A LOT of money over the cost of the excursion. There are many scenic spots along the road to pull over in the car for pictures. And... you can stop when you want for as long as you want. You don't have that option on the train/bus. There's only one road from Skagway to Carcross so you can't get lost. We drove to Emerald Lake and then stopped in Carcross for lunch. We were gone a total of about 6 hours.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, oaktreerb said:

I like the combo with the bus trip first.  Enjoy the scenic views you get from the train as you near Skagway on the return trip.  It’s worth the extra $40.

I agree.  That tour was a very good tour.  My tour also visited Emerald Lake as well as having lunch at Carcross.  I found the small museum there to be quite interesting, particularly related to the RCMP.  Whatever the tour cost, it was money well spent.  I did the tour sailing Northbound on the Westerdam.   Also booked the tour on my Southbound cruise on Coral Princess, but cancelled it before we got to Skagway, thinking, I'll do it the "next trip".  Sorry that I did that now!  When's that "next trip" going to be?  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

When's that "next trip" going to be?  

When we planned our 2 week land/cruise vacation in Alaska a few years ago, we planned for a "once-in-a-lifetime" trip. We saw so much and enjoyed everything we saw. However, we didn't get to see nearly enough. There is so much to see and do in Alaska that 2 weeks was not nearly enough time. We realized that our once-in-a-lifetime trip was actually our FIRST in a lifetime. We are currently making plans to go back next year to spend 2 - 3 weeks seeing many of the things we missed out on on our first trip.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

However, we didn't get to see nearly enough. There is so much to see and do in Alaska that 2 weeks was not nearly enough time. 

Each time I have gone to Alaska, even during the Winter, my Nephew finds something "new" for me to experience.  During my last trip, a visit to a fish hatchery in Anchorage was on the list.  Never saw such an opportunity to visit something like that in any guide book.  

Have fun planning your trip and I have no doubt that you will enjoy when you are able to do it.  

• 1 month later...

The White Pass Railroad and/or bus tours will probably be very different this Alaska season (2021). 

Both the train & bus tours go into Canada, requiring passengers to have their passports.  Same is true for renting a car (my personal favorite).

However, this year (so far) the Canadian border is CLOSED!  That will mean much shorter tours.  Keep that in mind when booking sore excursions.

If that closure changes, I'm sure someone will post the news here on CC.

The train and or combo bus train excursions into Canada are not happening unless or until

February 2022.

One train train the trip the Summit does go to the Canada border and briefly crosses it to

loop around and return to Skagway - NO ONE gets on or off the train at the border - the train

merely makes a recently constructed loop back instead of parking on a siding while the

locomotives go from the front of the train consist to the end of the train for return.

Only the train crew sets foot to disconnect and reconnect the cars.

Whether Canada puts the kibosh on this or not has not been published.

The train and bus trips to Fraser Lake Bennett and Carcross are for sure cancelled.

About that Jeep Link:

https://www.diyjeeptours.com

One option is to simply drive to the border turn around and come back - - -

BUT an impressive option would be to take the Dyea Road as far as possible

Use this Google Map Link - zoom in and follow that road to see how far you can go:

Google Maps

The Dyea Road begins about a mile out of Skagway leaving the Klondike Highway 98.

The usual caution about non NCL excursions - watch your time allow time to return

to your ship for sailing - returning rental vehicle and equipment.

There are other excursions available at Skagway - BUT - the primary ones use the

White Pass & Yukon Railway.

Skagway is the only port call on the Alaska cruises that is heavily dependent

on the Canadian border equation.

If you don't do anything else you can get off your ship and stretch your legs and

visit touristy historic Skagway town.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, don't-use-real-name said:

One option is to simply drive to the border turn around and come back - - -

Hi don't use real name!

You've obviously done this before! 🙂  Below is what I received from the jeep tours...does it seem worthwhile without Canada to you?

es, the DIY Jeep Tour in Skagway is open and operating this year while the cruise ships are here.
The trip is altered slightly but still amazing.  You will go up the Klondike Highway but you will turn around at the Welcome to Alaska sign at the top of the White Pass Summit; 
We have added a side trip out to the Dyea Tidal Flats and the Chilkoot Trailhead as a some extra stops so you have an action packed day with the jeep.
Even though we don't go into Canada  you will still see all the best stops on our jeep tour.  

You get to see the following:

Bridal Veil Falls
Pitchfork Falls (2nd largest waterfall in southeast alaska)
Reid Falls 
Captain Moore Bridge
Sawtooth Mountains 
Bracket Wagon Trail
White Pass Summit
Welcome to Alaska sign (great photo stop)
City Overlook
Gold Rush Cemetery
Dyea Flats & old town site.
Chilkoot Trailhead
Slide Cemetery

Your day will be packed with cool things to see and great photo stops.  We still have the audio guide that will talk to you while you drive and you still get the turkey wrap lunches, waters, and a cooler with ice packs.

No I haven't taken this the tour - but when left with few options in a town 6 blocks wide and

8 blocks long I can figure what can be done - especially with a jeep and back woods roads.

One has to factor in the port time available to pull this tour/excursion off.

Judging from the few options to go over the border into Canada this jeep option is going to

be very very popular and would suggest booking it ASAP. 

On 3/28/2021 at 8:30 AM, cruiseguy1016 said:

When we planned our 2 week land/cruise vacation in Alaska a few years ago, we planned for a "once-in-a-lifetime" trip. We saw so much and enjoyed everything we saw. However, we didn't get to see nearly enough. There is so much to see and do in Alaska that 2 weeks was not nearly enough time. We realized that our once-in-a-lifetime trip was actually our FIRST in a lifetime. We are currently making plans to go back next year to spend 2 - 3 weeks seeing many of the things we missed out on on our first trip.

Just my opinion but you can hardly see any of AK on a a 2 week land/cruise trip to AK.  We did a 3 month driving trip in AK several years back including a return on the Alaska Marine Highway w stops at several small towns and we still missed a lot of places that we wanted to visit.  I have been to AK on several cruises when we took our grandkids to AK w/o their parents but my best trips have been either driving trips or cruises on small (<50 passenger) ships.  

We had a ~20 day Hurtigrutin cruise scheduled for this summer that was going to take us out along the Aleutian Peninsula, then  hitting several islands in the Bering Sea end ending up in Nome but it was obviously cancelled.  SOB!!

DON

13 hours ago, marykatherine111 said:

Hi don't use real name!

You've obviously done this before! 🙂  Below is what I received from the jeep tours...does it seem worthwhile without Canada to you?

es, the DIY Jeep Tour in Skagway is open and operating this year while the cruise ships are here.
The trip is altered slightly but still amazing.  You will go up the Klondike Highway but you will turn around at the Welcome to Alaska sign at the top of the White Pass Summit; 
We have added a side trip out to the Dyea Tidal Flats and the Chilkoot Trailhead as a some extra stops so you have an action packed day with the jeep.
Even though we don't go into Canada  you will still see all the best stops on our jeep tour.  

Bridal Veil Falls
Reid Falls 
Captain Moore Bridge
Sawtooth Mountains 
Bracket Wagon Trail
White Pass Summit
City Overlook
Gold Rush Cemetery
Chilkoot Trailhead
Slide Cemetery

Your day will be packed with cool things to see and great photo stops.  We still have the audio guide that will talk to you while you drive and you still get the turkey wrap lunches, waters, and a cooler with ice packs.

This sounds like a great way to spend the day in Skagway.  When we rented a car we first headed to the Dyea site and Chilkoot Trailhead and saw the Slide Cemetery.   Most people just head up the road to the Canadian border and don’t see Dyea and the Chilkoot trailhead which are a significant part of the Gold Rush story.  

Edited by oaktreerb

We liked the train up and bus back. On the train ride up there is narration of history and what you are seeing. On the way back since some of the round trip people already heard the narration the speakers are quiet. The ride on the bus back is across the river so the sights are a little different. If heading up you want to be on the left side looking forward. Heading down looking forward you want to be on the right. On bus just the opposite. Up on right, down on the left. 

The bus and train have slightly different routes. Also with weather, you may end up better off with the different routes. We did the train up and it was rainy and overcast enough you could not see anything, but we could on the bus trip down. 

On 5/28/2021 at 2:17 AM, marykatherine111 said:

Bridal Veil Falls
Reid Falls 
Captain Moore Bridge
Sawtooth Mountains 
Bracket Wagon Trail
White Pass Summit
City Overlook
Gold Rush Cemetery
Chilkoot Trailhead
Slide Cemetery

Marykatherine:  I haven't done the DIY Jeep tour but we have both driven our own vehicles into Skagway and also have rented vehicles from Avis on cruise stops.  We have been to Dyea several times and actually camped there one time when we had one of our own vehicles.  

Dyea is a ghost town and is part of the Klondike Gold Rush Historical Park.  The NPS operates a campground there.  A number of years ago the NPS initiated an archeological dig on the site.  The first time we were there few building sites were identified, but since then the NPS has marked more of them.  Only small remnants of the buildings are left as the Taiya River has changed course and "eaten" part of the original townsite.  Other buildings were "repurposed" and incorporated into buildings in Skagway.  The drive is about 8 to10 miles and runs along the Taiya Inlet.  While Skagway was a relatively deep water port, Dyea was not so along the inlet you will see remnants of the very long pier.  Very pretty views and look for lots of eagles.  Since you won't be able to drive past the Canadian border this is a great option.  And on a nice day you could walk out along the Chilkoot Trail for an hour or so depending on your time in port.

On 5/28/2021 at 2:26 PM, donaldsc said:

Just my opinion but you can hardly see any of AK on a a 2 week land/cruise trip to AK.

So do you think that people who can't spend several months in Alaska should just stay home?

4 hours ago, kochleffel said:

So do you think that people who can't spend several months in Alaska should just stay home?

No.  But they should realize that they are missing 90% of AK.  You can also try to pick a cruise that goes to some of the coastal towns that are not the same ones that almost all the cruises go to; i.e., Ketchikan, Skagway and Juneau.  

DON

10 hours ago, donaldsc said:

No.  But they should realize that they are missing 90% of AK.  You can also try to pick a cruise that goes to some of the coastal towns that are not the same ones that almost all the cruises go to; i.e., Ketchikan, Skagway and Juneau.  

DON

True!

The thing is, people will have a great time even if they don't see the interior of Alaska, don't visit someone else's favorite port, take an excursion that someone else wouldn't like, and so forth. In posts here there is a lot of agonizing about finding the ideal itinerary, the best ship, and the perfect excursion at each port. While all information is helpful and valuable, real life doesn't allow optimizing everything.

One of the best cruises I've had - not in Alaska - was the one where almost everything that could go wrong did. Well, the ship didn't run aground and wasn't set upon by pirates, but there was an itinerary change that eliminated the port I most wanted to visit, another port was missed because the seas were too rough for tendering, a port call was shortened because of an earthquake there (and then all the shops and restaurants that people planned to go to were closed because electricity was out), I disliked one of the ports that we did get to, and then there was a diversion for a medical emergency.

• Like 2