Suez Canal is blocked by mega cargo ship Ever Given

Ever Given, a mega cargo ship, is currently blocking the Suez Canal.  150 ships are waiting for the ship to be refloated.  Taiwan, Japan, and Holland are working, together to try to refloat the ship.  

If the ship can't be refloated, it is a long cruise around South Africa to Asia or Europe.  On my first cruise overseas, I did that route, because the Suez was closed at that time.  

29 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Ever Given, a mega cargo ship, is currently blocking the Suez Canal.  150 ships are waiting for the ship to be refloated.  Taiwan, Japan, and Holland are working, together to try to refloat the ship.  

If the ship can't be refloated, it is a long cruise around South Africa to Asia or Europe.  On my first cruise overseas, I did that route, because the Suez was closed at that time.  

Extra 7 days around ye olde Cape of Good Hope. I bet the insurance company is cringeing.

41 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Extra 7 days around ye olde Cape of Good Hope. I bet the insurance company is cringeing.

Blockage is costing $400 million an hour, can you believe?

Will be an interesting exercise if they are able to refloat the ship, without an oil spill.

Evergreen is gobsmackingly big. It was parked next to Ruby Princess in San Pedro LA when I went on Ruby. I simply couldn't believe the size of it compared to all the ships there that day. I tried to get a decent picture but as we were so close I couldn't even get one.

46 minutes ago, Cruisegroover said:

Evergreen is gobsmackingly big. It was parked next to Ruby Princess in San Pedro LA when I went on Ruby. I simply couldn't believe the size of it compared to all the ships there that day. I tried to get a decent picture but as we were so close I couldn't even get one.

You would understand just how huge this ship is!

I just read Ever Given is longer than four football fields.  It is stuck diagonally across the Canal  Some ships are making plans to cruise around South Africa.  

1 hour ago, Cruisegroover said:

100m longer than Ruby, I belive, almost 400 m to 290m.

3 hours ago, Cruisegroover said:

I think you will find evergreen is the company name and the ships name is evergiven.

So there more than one.

6 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

I think you will find evergreen is the company name and the ships name is evergiven.

So there more than one.

No it was the same one as I was fascinated with it and sat on deck watching the loading of it for an extended period of time taking note of its name Ever Given  (my mistake putting green instead of given but when I realised to late to edit).

Edited by Cruisegroover

I suspect that it's not an accident at all, given the route plotted out by the ship's Captain before entering the Suez Canal (drawing some very large male genitalia in the Red Sea).  A deliberate act of sabotage by the ship's Captain makes more sense than the "strong wind" excuse being peddled to the media.

Don't ask me why he/she would want to do it.  Presumably they have some grievance.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Vader1111 said:

I suspect that it's not an accident at all, given the route plotted out by the ship's Captain before entering the Suez Canal (drawing some very large male genitalia in the Red Sea).  A deliberate act of sabotage by the ship's Captain makes more sense than the "strong wind" excuse being peddled to the media.

Don't ask me why he/she would want to do it.  Presumably they have some grievance.

I wonder where the Captain comes from and their background.

8 hours ago, Vader1111 said:

Ahh, the conspiracy theories are out already.

• Haha 1

Lose of power? Gust of wind? if the wind pushed the ship it would have moved laterally. It looks like the bow was driven into the bank at considerable force and the stern swung across under power. How do you ground your ship across the channel?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Vader1111 said:

What next the earth was spinning and it stop for a moment....

Could it have been Aliens? 

They were using Google Maps ??

Maybe  time for a second Suez, so a lane each way ??

Well it happened..... but can they fix it ??  Soon ??

One point since the Suez was built ship have got somewhat bigger.

An interesting one to watch......

Don

35 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Lose of power? Gust of wind? if the wind pushed the ship it would have moved laterally. It looks like the bow was driven into the bank at considerable force and the stern swung across under power. How do you ground your ship across the channel?

It depends on the angle at which the wind strikes the ship.  If the ship is head north, and the wind is coming from the north-west, then the tendency would be to rotate rather than move laterally.

However, I agree with you 100%.  I do not believe that there is any innocent explanation for the ship ending up in the position it did.  I believe it was a wilfull act, by the ship's Captain.

I also wouldn't rule out the possibility of a cyber attack, from a country which is currently very upset with Europe and Australia.

I believe that this was a malicious act by someone - it sure as hell wasn't due to high winds and a loss of power.

4 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

Don

I don't think it's that hard to believe that this was a malicious act, given the (snopes confirmed) reports of the ship's course prior to entering the Suez Canal:

https://www.news.com.au/finance/economy/world-economy/catastrophic-oil-prices-spike-after-grounded-mega-ship-blocks-suez-canal/news-story/19d9322de92f703442b3aecccf8a7ffd

Apparently they are in the process of duplicating the canal, but the section they've duplicated is further north of where the "accident" happened.

I'm not big on conspiracy theories. It does not have to be a "conspiracy" the skipper could have acted alone. Who knows for sure but it would need to be a really significant package of failures happening with remarkable precision to park that ship across the channel with such force to stick it there for a week and I really don't think they will move it with tugs.

It wouldn't take a lot of wind to affect a ship of that size. All those above deck containers are one massive sail. When I was on Oasis OTs 2017 it had a lot of trouble navigating into Napier and it was not a strong wind. Those container ships are much bigger again and, due to restricted speed in  the canal they can't have a lot of momentum to continue on a straight course and if it does deviate, engine response would be slow.

But, everyone these days seem to love a conspiracy.

Edited by lyndarra
  • Like 2

I have been through the Suez couple of times, re the high winds alleged, that ship is loaded with containers, full I expect, thus very heavy.  Wind would not blow the ships around like a cruise ship with a high, lighter superstructure, my theory anyway. Poor navigation or a deliberate act IMO.   Lloyds of London insures a lot of shipping, I wonder if they insured 'Ever Given.'  The insurance company will be cringeing.

We were on Arcadia off east coast of Africa in 2012 when a 90 knot wind keeled us over, we were like a racing yacht for over half an hour, before water ballast was moved to level the ships. Scary.

Edited by NSWP

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

We were on Arcadia off east coast of Africa in 2012 when a 90 knot wind keeled us over, we were like a racing yacht for over half an hour, before water ballast was moved to level the ships. Scary.

They should have done what racing yachts do and get all the passengers to go to the side when the wind is coming from and act as ballast.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

Don

Heard an interesting comment this morning that these mega ships have got much bigger, but the support ships (like tugs, etc.) and salvage equipment are still same size!  Eg containers have to be removed from the top, but no equipment in canal of height required.