Florida Looking to Push Back Against CDC

Mtn2Sea

1 hour ago, KirkNC said:

I suspect going forward baring a significant uptick in cases, you will see more and more political pressure on CDC.

The uptick in cases seems to be starting.  

The Chairman of CCL, who was friends with the 45th President of the United States, reportedly had conversations with him about the condition of the cruising industry.  If that report is true, it surely didn't make any difference.  

I think the cases will force the CDC to expose their plan.  A government agency cannot simply shut down a legal enterprise without giving them a due course of action.  I really don't think the CDC has anything except something they wrote on a barroom napkin.    In the US we have something called due process which is available to all individuals and entities.

Think of it like a restaurant.  The health inspector may close the restaurant once but he must give a checklist to the restaurant of the health violations and the course of action to correct those violations and reinspect.   He cannot permanently shut down the restaurant on the first violation.  

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 3

If i am not mistaken, the CDC did state what they were doing and used the November 1 date for not allowing sailing from US ports. 

What disturbs me are comments that i have read with DeSantis stating that lockdowns don't work. You only need to look at Australia and New Zealand which had very stringent lockdowns for months but have now opened the countries within their borders without any restrictions. My friend in Melbourne told me last night that they attended a venue last week with 7,000 people in attendance! Australia and New Zealand are now considering opening their borders to each other.

I have two cruises booked over the next year which will require transiting through Florida. Hopefully conditions over the next six months greatly improve.

• Like 10

19 minutes ago, FlaMariner said:

Thank You Florida!

Seems like a ship full of vaccinated passengers and crew would be safe.....If it is not, then why did I get vaccinated?

Let's get going!

If they persist in the lockdowns after many are vaccinated they are going to have a lot of trouble getting the others to vaccinate.  Instead of carrot and stick the policy seems to be stick and stick

• Like 14

Have the cruise lines sailing from the US complied with the first part of the CDC response? Test sailings, increased hygiene, crew accomodations, etc. were part of that. It seems as if the cruise lines are just waiting for vaccine to reach a certain level so that sailing can resume. Nothing has been shared by the cruise lines as to their response on changes being made!

Remember last year how Florida fought the cruise ships that had infection on them from disembarking. Maybe Florida needs to have a plan as well.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Good for DeSantis and the others who are working with him  on getting the Ships up and going from Florida. If one can fly into Nassau or St. Maarten for a Cruise from a U.S. City  then fly home after the Cruise to the U.S. City,  it seems very silly to not allow the Ships to Sail from the U.S. Ports.  Common Sense!  

• Like 10

3 hours ago, Heartgrove said:

Have the cruise lines sailing from the US complied with the first part of the CDC response? Test sailings, increased hygiene, crew accomodations, etc. were part of that. It seems as if the cruise lines are just waiting for vaccine to reach a certain level so that sailing can resume. Nothing has been shared by the cruise lines as to their response on changes being made!

Remember last year how Florida fought the cruise ships that had infection on them from disembarking. Maybe Florida needs to have a plan as well.

My thoughts exactly.  I'm surprised by all the vitriol aimed at the CDC.  Do we know what the cruise industry has provided to them?  Have they complied with suggestions?  Are the cruise companies partially to blame?

And as to why St Maartan or Nassau can do this but not us, it's simply economics and risk analysis.  Tourism is a component of the US economy but it doesn't make or break us.  For those islands in the Caribbean, what else to they have?  Tourism is everything so of course they're willing to take risks.  

I really hope these Caribbean sailings work out, I really do.  And there's nothing stopping US citizens from flying down there and cruising just like they used to fly down to Ft Lauderdale or Miami.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Himself said:

Good for Florida and Governor DeSantis.  The CDC is like the Illinois governor--The goal posts keep moving.

What goal post keeps changing??? The most recent conditional order is dated October 30, 2020. It is nearly five months old. One of the requirements is that the Secretary of Health and Human Services needs to declare that COVID-19 no longer constitutes a public health emergency.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Heartgrove said:

What goal post keeps changing??? The most recent conditional order is dated October 30, 2020. It is nearly five months old. One of the requirements is that the Secretary of Health and Human Services needs to declare that COVID-19 no longer constitutes a public health emergency.

Whichever of the three conditions is met first. That's probably why CDC is saying it's not up to them. The government has to let the health emergency expire and not renew it. Which would be April 21

Screenshot_20210327-135721.png

Governor DeSantis wants to start cruising from Florida as early as possible.

Florida already has one of the highest COVID numbers in America.

Carnival Cruises President Christine Duffy announced that Carnival will keep most of its ships in American Ports (many in Florida).

She also announced that Carnival will be one of the few cruise lines that will not require COVID vaccine to board their ships.

What could go wrong?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Himself said:

The CDC is like the Illinois governor--The goal posts keep moving.

Father, why does this seem to be so?

It's because we are in the early stage of the learning curve about this virus and the vaccines that have been created.  Created almost, I think, miraculously in the time span that it has occurred.  

Happy Easter to you, Sir!

• Like 7

21 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Created almost, I think, miraculously in the time span that it has occurred.

I am so thankful to those scientists.  They should be congratulated heartily yet rarely do I see a news report on their achievements.   So let me say out loud to them - Thank you. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Heartgrove said:

No they haven’t, because the CDC still hasn’t followed through with the details they were supposed to provide on accomplishing the necessary steps. It’s like having two hours to complete an exam, but an hour into the time frame the test papers haven’t been handed out yet.
And absolutely, there’s almost no point in the ships having a plan in case of infection if the ports don’t.

• Like 8

38 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

I thought the ships plan had to incorporate a port plan.

They do and many, many locations have already provided those plans to the cruise ships including the various open Caribbean Islands, the EU and the UK. The big issue is the US really needs to provide the plan.  The cruise lines have already spent countless dollars on vast improvements with no plan.   So what's the hold up with the US?

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

No they haven’t, because the CDC still hasn’t followed through with the details they were supposed to provide on accomplishing the necessary steps. It’s like having two hours to complete an exam, but an hour into the time frame the test papers haven’t been handed out yet.
And absolutely, there’s almost no point in the ships having a plan in case of infection if the ports don’t.

Wrong. The Federal Register for November 3, 2020 (published November 4, 2020) contains the initial Technical Instructions for the condition of resumption of sailing. The Federal Register has also been updated on December 23, 2020 and December 31, 2020. Do we know if they have worked on this? Just asking as i am anxious to cruise this year. The ball appears to be in the cruise companies`s court.

Regarding the ports having a plan, that was addressed in the Federal Register on April  21, 2020 and clarified April 28, 2020. Given Florida`s track record this past year, have they complied? Just asking.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Heartgrove said:

Regarding the ports having a plan, that was addressed in the Federal Register on April  21, 2020 and clarified April 28, 2020. Given Florida`s track record this past year, have they complied? Just asking.

My thought as well. I wonder if Florida has done the arrangements with cruise lines required by the CDC to resume sailing. Like plans for receiving sick patients from a ship. Or is it their contention that, by "following the science" they don't have to do those, and the CDC is overreaching. That would be an interesting argument. 

• Like 2