Jump to content

Florida Looking to Push Back Against CDC


 Share

Recommended Posts

48 minutes ago, kazu said:

 

Just take a look at China & Japan’s covid results and successes where mask wearing is prevalent.  Take a look at the flu cases this year in North America - way down compared to any other year and accredited to mask wearing and physical distancing.

 

Looking at any scientific report shows you how masks help and why they are so effective.  It’s really not rocket science and have been proven  to work - even during SARS and as far back as 1918.

Not to mention no flu outbreaks this winter thanks to masks and social distancing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, T8NCruise said:

Not to mention no flu outbreaks this winter thanks to masks and social distancing.

 

How are the masks stopping influenza but not COVID-19? They're both respiratory viruses with the same transmission modes.

Edited by POA1
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, Wonderingabout said:

So you have statistics?  Is it Social distancing or is it the Masks?  

I live in Tokyo.

Tokyo Metro area has 42 million people - one of the most densely populated places on earth. Proper social distancing is nearly impossible. There is just not enough space.

Masks are strongly suggested, but not required.

EVERYONE here wears masks EVERYWHERE, ALWAYS

All businesses are open.

The government subsidizes businesses who agree to close early in the evenings.

 

Japan’s population is125 million. From the beginning of the pandemic, our COVID infection and death numbers have been lower than most individual US States, where the populations are far smaller.

Its all about taking social responsibility for your fellow citizens.

  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, BruceMuzz said:

I live in Tokyo.

Tokyo Metro area has 42 million people - one of the most densely populated places on earth. Proper social distancing is nearly impossible. There is just not enough space.

Masks are strongly suggested, but not required.

EVERYONE here wears masks EVERYWHERE, ALWAYS

All businesses are open.

The government subsidizes businesses who agree to close early in the evenings.

 

Japan’s population is125 million. From the beginning of the pandemic, our COVID infection and death numbers have been lower than most individual US States, where the populations are far smaller.

Its all about taking social responsibility for your fellow citizens.

Are they allowing cruise ships?
 

 And to your point, one thing i agreed with early on in this crisis was when one of our local officials reported on TV that he had removed his aged parent from a congregant living facility and he recommended all to do this.  He even went on to say that people were going to be locked down so they could easily take care of their parents, in most cases.  Of course some people need advanced medical care.  This alone could have saved thousands of lives.  That is personal and social responsibility .  This is what my family did, it was good advice. 

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Are they allowing cruise ships?
 

 And to your point, one thing i agreed with early on in this crisis was when one of our local officials reported on TV that he had removed his aged parent from a congregant living facility and he recommended all to do this.  He even went on to say that people were going to be locked down so they could easily take care of their parents, in most cases.  Of course some people need advanced medical care.  This alone could have saved thousands of lives.  That is personal and social responsibility .  This is what my family did, it was good advice. 

Domestic cruising in Japan never stopped. There are several Japanese cruise ships sailing around Japan right now. All passengers are Japanese residents. There are no COVID problems on the ships. Foreigners are not allowed to visit Japan; we do not trust them to follow the rules and prevent outbreaks.

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Wonderingabout said:

So you have statistics?  Is it Social distancing or is it the Masks?  

Here is a study that covers both.  Both reduce transmission masks a bit more effective that distancing.  But as they say more is better. 

 

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31142-9/fulltext

Our search identified 172 observational studies across 16 countries and six continents, with no randomised controlled trials and 44 relevant comparative studies in health-care and non-health-care settings (n=25 697 patients). Transmission of viruses was lower with physical distancing of 1 m or more, compared with a distance of less than 1 m (n=10 736, pooled adjusted odds ratio [aOR] 0·18, 95% CI 0·09 to 0·38; risk difference [RD] −10·2%, 95% CI −11·5 to −7·5; moderate certainty); protection was increased as distance was lengthened (change in relative risk [RR] 2·02 per m; pinteraction=0·041; moderate certainty). Face mask use could result in a large reduction in risk of infection (n=2647; aOR 0·15, 95% CI 0·07 to 0·34, RD −14·3%, −15·9 to −10·7; low certainty), with stronger associations with N95 or similar respirators compared with disposable surgical masks or similar (eg, reusable 12–16-layer cotton masks; pinteraction=0·090; posterior probability >95%, low certainty). Eye protection also was associated with less infection (n=3713; aOR 0·22, 95% CI 0·12 to 0·39, RD −10·6%, 95% CI −12·5 to −7·7; low certainty). Unadjusted studies and subgroup and sensitivity analyses showed similar findings.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, POA1 said:

 

How are the masks stopping influenza but not COVID-19? They're both respiratory viruses with the same transmission modes.

 

I don’t understand your question Brian. I am sorry if I wasn’t clear in my post.  It was to prove that masks help stop air borne viruses from spreading.   Masks do stop covid 19 if both people wear them.  They prevent the spread.  It’s a proven fact.  Take a look @BruceMuzz’s post that demonstrates how effective they have been.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Just posted on KTUU (Anchorage TV)the state of Alaska has joined the lawsuit against the CDC.

I thought the main issue with cruising to Alaska was the PVSA because Canada closed its borders until early 2022? But I guess if Canada opens their borders in July for some odd reason, I guess CDC would be the next stumbling block. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

   Google scholar has lots of peer reviewed studies.   Flu is spread by droplet, Covid, by droplet and air.  Wearing a mask is common sense and the right thing to do in public. 

  Get a vaccine folks! 

  This is one time that I am trying to preach to the masses. I am a front line RN who was planning on retiring in 2020, but instead stayed on to fight this disease. Let me tell you, those months from March to December were the scariest of my 46 years of bedside nursing.  Every day I was terrified, but I put on my protective gear and my big girl panties and went in to work. I care for intubated patients, so my risk was high.  I did not contract any respiratory diseases!!! I witnessed an extreme downturn in Flu cases for the very first time in my career.  Wear a mask!!!

  I had 3 cruises cancelled and lost hard earned money on Hyatt hotel---still waiting for my refund from January.  The cruise lines were  great and I received complete refunds.  I have booked 2 more cruises for next year and am praying that people ante up and do the right thing so we can get this show on the road already!

  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, POA1 said:

 

How are the masks stopping influenza but not COVID-19? They're both respiratory viruses with the same transmission modes.

Masks are helping, however there are two differences  1. Covid is far more infectious and is spread more by aerosols, flu by surface contact and droplets 2. Covid was more wide spread before mask use became widespread.  

 

Influenza never really got started because masks were in use prior to the start of normal flu season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, BruceMuzz said:

Domestic cruising in Japan never stopped. There are several Japanese cruise ships sailing around Japan right now. All passengers are Japanese residents. There are no COVID problems on the ships. Foreigners are not allowed to visit Japan; we do not trust them to follow the rules and prevent outbreaks.

Japan is even saying no tourists attending the Summer Olympics. I imagine these Olympics after having been cancelled last summer and now with no foreign attendance will be a big money loser for the Japanese. But they are still doing this ban proving how serious they are about it.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/21/2021 at 7:07 AM, POA1 said:

 

How are the masks stopping influenza but not COVID-19? They're both respiratory viruses with the same transmission modes.

How are automobile seat belts preventing some people from dying in car crashes, but not others? 

Since we cannot explain this, shall we just stop wearing seat belts until we know the answer?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Donald said:

How are automobile seat belts preventing some people from dying in car crashes, but not others? 

Since we cannot explain this, shall we just stop wearing seat belts until we know the answer?

Except that we CAN explain that, using fairly basic physics.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m sure surgeons don’t like wearing masks either. Maybe there should be a consent form. Doctors who feel masks are useless should not be forced to wear them. I mean maybe only 2% will die of infection. Insurance can cover that. I mean, open heart surgery already carries risk. What’s a little more give or take?  Yeah sure.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Donald said:

How are automobile seat belts preventing some people from dying in car crashes, but not others? 

Since we cannot explain this, shall we just stop wearing seat belts until we know the answer?

Much depends on the force of the accident, the weight of the vehicles and the angles of impact.

 

I don't think the seat belt analogy is even close. However, if face masks work so amazingly well, I'm really surprised that they didn't recommend them for the flu all along. In fact, they only recommended them for care givers dealing with flu-infected people. They even did a bunch of studies to come up with that recommendation.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, POA1 said:

Much depends on the force of the accident, the weight of the vehicles and the angles of impact.

 

I don't think the seat belt analogy is even close. However, if face masks work so amazingly well, I'm really surprised that they didn't recommend them for the flu all along. In fact, they only recommended them for care givers dealing with flu-infected people. They even did a bunch of studies to come up with that recommendation.

As has been explained by others on this thread, the common flu spreads by surface contact and droplets, while COVID-19 spreads by aerosols.  It is far more contagious and deadly than the common flu.  That is why masks were recommended for widespread use.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, POA1 said:

Much depends on the force of the accident, the weight of the vehicles and the angles of impact.

 

I don't think the seat belt analogy is even close. However, if face masks work so amazingly well, I'm really surprised that they didn't recommend them for the flu all along. In fact, they only recommended them for care givers dealing with flu-infected people. They even did a bunch of studies to come up with that recommendation.

After the impact this last year I expect masks will be recommended during flu season. However, without a mandate not enough will wear them so flu will return.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, nocl said:

After the impact this last year I expect masks will be recommended during flu season. However, without a mandate not enough will wear them so flu will return.

Do you think if it becomes a necessity to get a yearly booster shot for Covid could it be combined with the yearly flu shot?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Do you think if it becomes a necessity to get a yearly booster shot for Covid could it be combined with the yearly flu shot?

Moderna is reported to be working on exactly that.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, POA1 said:

Much depends on the force of the accident, the weight of the vehicles and the angles of impact.

 

I don't think the seat belt analogy is even close. However, if face masks work so amazingly well, I'm really surprised that they didn't recommend them for the flu all along. In fact, they only recommended them for care givers dealing with flu-infected people. They even did a bunch of studies to come up with that recommendation.

Now that they know how successful it is, perhaps it will be recommended in future.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: Virgin Voyages. It's Go Time
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...