The Daily for Saturday Mar 27, 2021

richwmn

Today is World Theater Day, Brothers and Sisters Day, and Passover begins at sundown

Why do you have to be a nonconformist like everybody else? - James Thurber

Meal suggestion for today - Thai Red Curry Chicken & Vegetables

Drink of the Day - Bronx Cocktail

Wine of the day - Marchesi di Barolo Barbera del Monferrato Maraia 2017

Port of the Day - Manaus Brazil

At Sea Pacific
Westerdam Destination Long Beach eta 3/28
Zuiderdam Destination Long Beach eta 4/1

Brest FR
Oosterdam

Corfu GR
Volendam

Great Stirrup Cay
Nieuw Statendam Anchorage

La Paz MX
Nieuw Amsterdam Anchorage
Noordam Anchorage

Long Beach
Koningsdam Anchorage

Torquay UK
Eurodam Anchorage
Zaandam Anchorage

0327World.png

• Like 32
  • Thanks 4

Thank you for the Saturday Daily, Rich.  An interesting collection of days, and Happy Passover to those who celebrate it.  I love Thurber and his quote.  Been to Manaus twice, both times on the Prinsendam.  The Chicken Curry  sounds nice.  My alternative is Strawberry-Banana-Blueberry, Thai Chicken and Forbidden Rice Soup, Boneless Lamb Loin, and Liner Torte as served on MS Zaandam March 27, 2017.

https://aroundamericabitbybit.files.wordpress.com/2017/03/dishes27.jpg

Today's care list:

Have not heard from Gsel since September 20

myself facing cardiac surgery

NextOne DH facing chemo

RIP Cunnorl’s BIL

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Occasional contributors including sososailor

Welcome aboard SusiKIslandGirl

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

Potential trial for StLouisSal

Jabs booked for superoma, Mrs Vmax

Jabs for lindaler

Welcome home Mary229

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 31
  • Thanks 5

Good morning, everyone.

I'm so happy to be reading about so many people being able to schedule vaccinations.  What a great step forward to get us out of this pandemic.  

Internet was out for most of yesterday.   That kind of left me in a quandary as I have a 9:00 am Zoom meeting scheduled with my board this morning.  I was so happy when it finally came back on late yesterday.  Relief!   Apparently, the outage was pretty widespread here.  Cleveland people had internet, but most of the Akron area didn't.  We've become so dependent on being connected.  

After yesterday's wind storms, today is supposed to be partly sunny and 70.  We'll see!

Today's meal sounds easy and is a quick one to get to the table on a busy day.   Most comments are on how to spice it up a bit.  

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/thai-red-curry-chicken-vegetables/

Thai red curry chicken and vegetables.jpg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 4

Good morning Dailyites.  Happy Saturday.  Happy Passover.

Thanks for the Daily Report.

Love the quote.

Thanks for the recipe, looks delicious.

Looking forward to reading about the wine and the drink of the day.

Have a wonderful Saturday everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 19

Good morning

It is with a heavy heart that I must be the bearer of very sad news.  Yonnie (Krazy Kruisers) apparently passed away on March 16 according to bellebaby in the solo thread. 😢 

I have asked her to email me.  My last email to Yonnie had not been answered longer than normal but I knew she wasn’t well.

Her husband Joe does not use the computer so I understand why I did not hear.

I am very 😢 and will be back later when I can be more cheerful.

RIP Yonnie ♥️ 🙏🏻 

Edited to say, I have now found her obituary, sadly.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 13

RIP Krazy Kruisers.  

Comfort and hope for those in need, Congratulations to all who have gotten or scheduled their vaccine

Thank you all for the updates.  We are looking forward to Manaus as my DH's long dreamed of cruise was cancelled in November.  I will check in later to see all of the photos. 

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 17

21 minutes ago, ksmaxey said:

RIP Krazy Kruizers.  She was such a welcome presence here when we started cruising HAL.  Can anyone share a link to her obituary?

I don’t think it is in violation of CC guidelines at this stage since her real name is given, at least, I hope not.

Here is the link - https://www.strifflerfuneralhomes.com/obituaries/Minyone-Makar/#!/Obituary

• Like 11
  • Thanks 10

10 minutes ago, kazu said:

I don’t think it is in violation of CC guidelines at this stage since her real name is given, at least, I hope not.

Here is the link - https://www.strifflerfuneralhomes.com/obituaries/Minyone-Makar/#!/Obituary

Thank you for sharing this. RIP Krazy Kruisers.

Edited by VintageGeo
Sp.
  • Like 9

Good morning.  Such sad news about KK.  I've enjoyed her posts so much.  Love the Theater, hope to have it resume soon.  Love my brothers and sisters.  Great quote.  Will pass on the curry meal.  DH has been to Brazil on business but never to Manaus.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Bronx Cocktail with a little information:

The Bronx is a cocktail. It is essentially a Perfect Martini with orange juice added. It was ranked number three in "The World's 10 Most Famous Cocktails in 1934" behind the Martini and the Manhattan. In the movie "The Thin Man" 1934, the lead actor compared the methods for shaking the Manhattan, Bronx, And Martini. Wikipedia
Ingredients: 1 oz (6 parts) Gin, 1/2 oz (3 parts) Orange juice, 1/2 oz (3 parts) Sweet Red Vermouth, 1/3 oz (2 parts) Dry Vermouth
Preparation: Pour into cocktail shaker all ingredients with ice cubes, shake well. Strain in chilled cocktail or martini glass.
Served: Straight up; without ice
Standard garnish: Orange twist

Screen Shot 2021-03-27 at 7.43.32 AM.png

• Like 20
  • Thanks 3

Good morning and thanks for the update.

So sorry to hear about KK. She was a great contributor to this forum.  
        Today is supposed to be another sunny day, but rain tomorrow.

My local high school is playing tonight for the state title in boys basketball. 4 years ago they did win it. (Go Red Knights).

Not sure about dinner tonight. 
   Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

• Like 18

Jacqui, thank you for sharing your sad news with us. Hopefully knowing how much so many of us appreciated Yonnie and her vast source of info - as well as her willingness to help all of us - will help ease your sadness. I never sailed with her unfortunately, but I know my cruises were better thanks to her help. Prayers for her family and friends. 

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! A wonderful combo of days.

Roy, thank you for or lists! Good morning Dailyites & my Sisters.  A fun quote. The meal sounds delicious. Pass on the drink. 

It was fairly humid yesterday for the first time, with more promised for today. I will get my garden clean up done early. Bindi’s long walk, too!

Prayers for all who need our support, especially Yonnie, Joe and their family & friends. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Today’s wine has quite a fan club. In addition to excellent ratings, one of the many online distributors offered it for as little as $13.99! I wonder what “toasted oak” tastes like? 

Winemaker Notes

#50 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2019
In Piedmontese dialect, the term Maraia is synonymous with little rascals. Liveliness, exuberance, and sometimes a bit mischievous, this is a fitting name for a young, fresh, fragrant Barbera.

Terroir: The grapes used in producing Barbera del Monferrato come exclusively from best vineyards located in the community of Maranzana in Asti province. The vines are grown with Guyot (VSP trellised) system on hills with favorable inclines and terrains that are prevalently calcareous-clayey.

Vinification: The grapes are hand-picked, destalked and softly pressed. Fermentation takes in tanks at controlled temperature of 82-86°F. After eight days of maceration, the wine is racked and aged for one year in traditional Slavonian oak barrels.The color is a lively and brilliant dark ruby-red. The perfume is fresh and intense with clean scents of wild berries, currants and sour black cherry. A light hint of vanilla and toasted oak. The flavor is warm and robust, full-bodied, pleasant and balanced.

WS91 Wine Spectator:  A sleek, racy style, this red boasts raspberry, boysenberry, graphite and spice flavors. Balanced and focused, with lingering echoes of fruit, mineral and spice. Drink now through 2024.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Good  morning. My  DB  and  I  are  the  last  of  our  "clan"  and  call  ourselves  the  "old  folks". I will  celebrate Brothers  and  Sisters  day with  this  photo  of  our  Veendam  MDR  on  the  VOV a  long  time  ago.

We  will  also  celebrate  International  Theater  day  with  the  news  that  Broadway  may  open  in  September.

So  sorry  to  hear   about KK's  passing. She loved  cruising and  was  always  ready  to  assist  others.

Terry

IMG_0762.JPG

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

I'm sorry to hear of KK's passing. I thought of her as sort of a CC institution and could always count of her information and suggestions. I will miss her posts. RIP KK.

• Like 13

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  First, let me add my sympathy on the passing of KK; I always enjoyed reading her posts.  May her soul rest in peace.

We haven't been to the theatre in I don't remember how long - it will be great to be able to see wonderful performances again in the future.  For so much of my life I thought I was an "only", as I was adopted, but then discovered I was a big sister to my half siblings, a brother and 2 sisters, so I'm happy to be able to celebrate Brothers and Sisters Day!   Happy Pesach to all those who celebrate Passover tonight!

I'd love to try today's cocktail, in fact I think I'm going to start a list of drinks to try on our next cruise.  I'm going to go back over a number of different Daily's to see what I'd like to add to it.  I'll have to warn my liver in advance that it's going to be a rough few weeks!

Our DDIL makes a great green curry Japanese dish (she's from Tokyo), so we've learned to really appreciate them.  I'm going to tuck this recipe away to make when I thaw some chicken, as it sounds quick and easy.  For tonight though, because I made pasta last night, we're having a delayed Friday night pizza instead.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Raising the glasses to toast all on the celebration list tonight.  Stay safe, be well, wash your hands and wear your mask.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 24