Tauranga cruise ships visits next year

Here's an interesting piece in today's Herald.  Very speculative of course.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/tauranga-cruise-ship-visits-on-cards-for-next-year/CJRNQSJ4V6R52VUVG5FUDOGDYM/

I think this is behind a paywall but here are the important quotes:

"Tauranga is expected to get its first port call for the 2022/23 season on November 6, 2022, from Radiance of the Seas.

The news has been welcomed by industry leaders but concerns have been raised about the safety protocols in the wake of Covid.

However, the shipping giant said strict procedures were in place.

A Ministry of Health spokesperson said the maritime border remains closed and at this stage, the Government would not be making any changes to the maritime border settings in relation to cruise ships but this would be reviewed in the future."

"A Port of Tauranga spokeswoman said the port was not budgeting for any cruise ship visits in the 2021/2022 season.

''We have some tentative bookings beyond that but shipping schedules are always subject to change.''

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, onlyslightlymad said:

Here's an interesting piece in today's Herald.  Very speculative of course.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/tauranga-cruise-ship-visits-on-cards-for-next-year/CJRNQSJ4V6R52VUVG5FUDOGDYM/

I think this is behind a paywall but here are the important quotes:

A Ministry of Health spokesperson said the maritime border remains closed and at this stage, the Government would not be making any changes to the maritime border settings in relation to cruise ships but this would be reviewed in the future."

"A Port of Tauranga spokeswoman said the port was not budgeting for any cruise ship visits in the 2021/2022 season.

''We have some tentative bookings beyond that but shipping schedules are always subject to change.''

Blackduck59, aka Lyle, is not going to like that news.☹️

October is a bit optimitic - but by Feb  22 everyone who wants a vaccine should have one. Assuming that no other variant gets out of control I can't see why our borders wouldn't be open by then - assuming vaccinated passengers only 

To brighten you all up, most of the article is just speculation.  Even the port is probably just being conservative.  After all, it would be foolish to budget on funds from the upcoming cruise season when it is so uncertain.  Bad business practice.  The truth is nobody knows anything about what the future holds.  Including me.

My own belief is that when the NZ government says that the borders won't be open this year they mean it.  I don't think that will change.  I also don't believe that when everyone is vaccinated the borders will just open as a free for all either.  I can see a gradual opening to approved countries.  I can also see different criteria for different countries ie some needing to quarantine and some not.  I am also hopeful that if some cruise ships can be allowed into Aus and if we can make a travel bubble work they might be allowed to go transTasman but I think Aussies and Kiwis only.  But, as already said, nobody knows anything.

Edited by onlyslightlymad
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, NSWP said:

I have no cruises booked, and unlikely to do so, thus I wont be rolling over either, 🌶.

With jobkeeper  stopping I think we can expect your favourite cruise agents to close down.
Mine went to drive a truck a month ago.

24 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

With jobkeeper  stopping I think we can expect your favourite cruise agents to close down.
Mine went to drive a truck a month ago.

Our local Flight Centre is only open M-F now (not weekends).  The second shop in the Centre shut a while ago.  

Well I expected it.... and there was a glimmer of hope... no rolling over... this time,,,,

It is time to look at the Cruising thing,  as been there done than.....  and more forward with this thing I believe is called "road trip"where you follow a road....... by putting a tiger in your tank adn Go Well... Go Shell   ( or some other place )..     

But for the sea side feel you could fill up at Neptune........   and get a clean windscreen...

Don

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

Our local Flight Centre is only open M-F now (not weekends).  The second shop in the Centre shut a while ago.  

I'm no travel agent, but would think the best chance to pickup whatever scarce business there may be would be on the weekend when prospective customers are not working. My BIL was a car salesman, and all the car sales guys know you sell more cars on Saturday or Sunday then during the week.

21 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Not very optimistic at all, if the ships don't come here for the summer, many more people will be disappointed and some parts of the travel industry will not survive.

Agree. The longer this covid thing goes on, like these new outbreaks in Qld, the less chance the ships from overseas can get in here, the sea borders will remain closed for some time yet I feel.

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Agree. The longer this covid thing goes on, like these new outbreaks in Qld, the less chance the ships from overseas can get in here, the sea borders will remain closed for some time yet I feel.

22 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Not very optimistic at all, if the ships don't come here for the summer, many more people will be disappointed and some parts of the travel industry will not survive.

I think we can write 21-22 season off.

How can you plan anything with random shutdowns.

The head of RCG said it’s the hardest year of his life.
Business school doesn’t teach how to run a multi Billion dollar business with out any revenue.

9 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

I think we can write 21-22 season off.

How can you plan anything with random shutdowns.

The head of RCG said it’s the hardest year of his life.
Business school doesn’t teach how to run a multi Billion dollar business with out any revenue.

Amen to that. Anyone on here want to buy a couple of boutique hotels in Lima and Cusco, Peru? I can get you a discount.

Edited by NSWP

Sigh. Any tourist operations in New Zealand might as well liquidate. By the time another 20 monthes passes, every Local will have seen everything they want to twice and there will be no business.

That being said I'm not big on speculation so while this is a "fluid" situation life carries on. We'll continue to plan and hope for the best.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, Blackduck59 said:

Sigh. Any tourist operations in New Zealand might as well liquidate. By the time another 20 monthes passes, every Local will have seen everything they want to twice and there will be no business.

That being said I'm not big on speculation so while this is a "fluid" situation life carries on. We'll continue to plan and hope for the best.

That's the spirit. aaayah that's the spirit doc. | Make a Meme

On my mini road trips around NSW in the past six months, southern and western NSW, I have called at probably 20 travel agencies in various towns re my son's brochures, only 2 were open.  In my town we had 3 travel agencies, 1 gone permanently - The Captain and two other's temporarily closed, with a contact number for enquiries, on front door. Will they be back? Who knows.