Shore excursions for British Isles cruises

WeeCountyMan

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere.

Does anybody have a handle on FO's intentions for punters who wish to go ashore when in UK ports of call ?

Other cruise lines are only permitting shore visits if on a ship organised tour - I don't fancy that.

Edited by WeeCountyMan
grammar

4 hours ago, WeeCountyMan said:

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere.

Does anybody have a handle on FO's intentions for punters who wish to go ashore when in UK ports of call ?

Other cruise lines are only permitting shore visits if on a ship organised tour - I don't fancy that.

Sadly I doubt you will be allowed anything other than ship's excursions as it is likely a requirement to start the cruises and also possibly a criteria of the ports to be visited.  Admittedly Fred is being very coy about a number of things.  He has produced FAQ's in his safe sailing charter, which you have likely seen, though most of them are very obscure:-

https://www.fredolsencruises.com/travel-confidence 

Fred seem to hope that criteria will change by the time they cruise, but I for one am not convinced they will.  May be worth ringing and if enough people do that they may decide to become a bit clearer about the situation.

I have seen at least one cruise line saying that it will be excursions only, but cannot remember which line that was, but might be Princess.  We have decided to let others be the guinea pigs, but may keep an eye out for departures from Liverpool last minute, if the price is right and things seem to be going OK with the cruises.  Would also be very happy to stick with land hols in the UK this summer as hopefully there will be less restrictions.

Edited by tring

My guess is that they are hedging their bets as no-one knows what the situation may be when the cruises are actually sailing. Even if they were given the go-ahead to allow pax off independently by the govt on 12th April or 17th May, it could change if there is an upsurge in cases in the Summer months.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Update - FO and travel agent advising that guests on L2124 (five nights, out of Rosyth on 5th August) CAN disembark in Shetlands and Faroes without joining ship organised excursions.

That is the situation at this time - subject to revision of course if the health scenario changes.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, July morning said:

Can anyone tell me how to see replies to my topic, I got a message to say there had been a response but I can't see any

If you are referring to the thread you stared to say you have booked a cruise, there are no replies - does not really seem to be something that requires a reply, though three people have clicked "like", which is called a "response".  if you get a reply your notification says that someone has replied, or quoted you.  I see you had two replies to another thread deleted a couple of weeks ago, which was not surprising as they contravened the CC T&C's.

Regards Fred's requirements for a cruise in August, we can all hope that will be the case, though with Fred sitting on the fence with other things, it would not be surprising if the criteria are changed as I think we all realise.  My observation is that some other cruise lines (e.g. P&O) seem to have gone for the worse scenario, perhaps partly because they do not want further bad press if they need to curtail their intentions.  Much less damaging to a brand to be able to change to less strict restrictions than to get bad press as restrictions have tightened up and customers kick up about it.  Having said that we have booked for December so would be nice if things do open up somewhat.   

Edited by tring