I hope Azamara is still small

uktog

14 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

The article says “large ships”, but doesn’t define what that is. Does it mean that small ships can dock in city center? Aren’t Azamara  ships small? I wish this was clearer!

Unfortunately the figure I saw was under 10,000 tons which would rule Azamara out

39 minutes ago, uktog said:

Unfortunately the figure I saw was under 10,000 tons which would rule Azamara out

I saw 40,000 mentioned which would be ok. The term "large" would logically not include an Azamara ship, but who knows the way the Italian authorities think?  They've been dithering over this for years!

I've written here before that I'm so over Venice. It's been spoiled and that in part has been due to the influx of cruise ship tourists. 

Phil 

• Like 3

Trying to find any tonnage figures from the latest announcement is not easy!  Figures mooted about over the years mention over 96,000 and then 55,000 tonnage. 
I’d like to think that Azamara at  approx. 30,000 stands a chance to dock at the very convenient small dock. When you compare them to the top ten largest cruise ships at all over 170,000 , there may be room for the little ones!! 🤞

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, CYNSport said:

I am hoping that reporting which Seatrade is also saying is correct as Azamara would still be OK

• Like 3

I have been to Venice on cruises but, to be honest, I think the Venetian authorities should ban cruise ships.  The impact on the city with large numbers of passengers is not sustainable nor is the damage done to the lagoon.  There are other ways to visit Venice.  I'm ducking!

• Like 6

I

On 4/3/2021 at 6:13 PM, welwyngirl said:

I have been to Venice on cruises but, to be honest, I think the Venetian authorities should ban cruise ships.  The impact on the city with large numbers of passengers is not sustainable nor is the damage done to the lagoon.  There are other ways to visit Venice.  I'm ducking!

I love Venice and have been lucky enough to have enjoyed  land trips and cruise visits there.

I agree that all cruise ships should be banned.

I remember the first time I saw cruise ships pass by my hotel window. I was shocked.

They just looked so colossal and really out of place and they were really “small” ones .

image.thumb.jpeg.e903a51ac856a567c3d94bda4e7a162d.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.ee302081476b278e6fc5dbc83f97c7ae.jpeg

1 hour ago, combine said:

The ship on the right is one of many that I think gives cause for concern and rightly so.

Azamara in comparison on the left could  hopefully fall within the guidelines .🤞

249F6B0F-F7A0-479A-8F50-7CBDC1BADFED.png

A picture is worth a thousand words! 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, flyingshoes said:

A picture is worth a thousand words! 

I must just acknowledge this picture was from Capt. Carl last May when they were repatriating crew to Harmony of the Seas at Cococay.