When are 2023 dates released?

Wordzz

Hi PG experts,

We've never sailed on PG before, and were looking forward to our first trip in 2022. Circumstances mean we're now having to defer and look at 2023. From past experience, roughly when are PG likely to release their dates for 2023? 

Second question: we normally cruise in a balcony cabin, so on PG would probably be thinking of deck 7 midships. Is that a good or bad choice? e.g. in terms of movement, noise, etc.?

Many thanks for your help and advice!

5 hours ago, Wordzz said:

Hi PG experts,

We've never sailed on PG before, and were looking forward to our first trip in 2022. Circumstances mean we're now having to defer and look at 2023. From past experience, roughly when are PG likely to release their dates for 2023? 

Second question: we normally cruise in a balcony cabin, so on PG would probably be thinking of deck 7 midships. Is that a good or bad choice? e.g. in terms of movement, noise, etc.?

Many thanks for your help and advice!

Figure the end of 2021 before the 2023 dates will be released. 

Midships is always good but the most stable cabins will be midships in the lower decks though deck 7 isn't bad, especially if you want to be gently rocked to sleep which I love ....

Thanks, Tahitianbigkahuna!  As first-timers to PG and the islands, this seems like THE part of the world to have a balcony, and the idea of being rocked gently to sleep is very appealing!

I know it's a very long time off yet, but it's exciting to look forward to. Thinking of the 11-nighter to include the Cook Islands, but still drooling over all the possibilities. It will likely be around August or September when we travel.

7 hours ago, Wordzz said:

Thanks, Tahitianbigkahuna!  As first-timers to PG and the islands, this seems like THE part of the world to have a balcony, and the idea of being rocked gently to sleep is very appealing!

I know it's a very long time off yet, but it's exciting to look forward to. Thinking of the 11-nighter to include the Cook Islands, but still drooling over all the possibilities. It will likely be around August or September when we travel.

Every year we do the Society/Cook Islands itinerary, along with others but it's one of our favorites.  

9 hours ago, Wordzz said:

You'd think so, wouldn't you?  But the ship is small, and very invitingly "outdoors"--i.e., there is plenty of outdoor spaces, so a balcony isn't really that important.  At least I have found that--we decided at the beginning (20 years ago), that we'd rather go back another time than pay for a balcony.  We've almost always had a window cabin on deck 4--really quite perfect.  The balcony cabins on deck 6 are the same size and the ones on deck 7 only a tiny big larger.

Only once did we get a deal on a deck 8 cabin, which is also marginally bigger, with a balcony.  But I found that it was not very useable, frankly.  When the sun was on it, it was too hot, and the ship tends to rotate while at anchor.  When at sea, it can be too windy.  It's nice to have the big window, but that was about all, frankly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A Balcony is great..some don’t like them or use the phrase “the ship is your balcony” ..you decide...I like the fresh air, being able to sit quietly in the morning, afternoon or evening out in the balcony..I love to have breakfast early in the am by ourselves  or dinner on the balcony if I’m tired after a long day ..fresh air.......I love the passengers and crew but also like alone time which provides a good balance ..either way You are on the ship ! 

Here is my personal take on a balcony on the PG ...

I'm usually up early ... before sunrise, camera in hand snapping away. I have a few cups of coffee and then grab a cup and bring it down to my Better Half. I then go back on deck and take some more pictures while my Better Half enjoys her cup of coffee out on the balcony. I then bring her a small plate of morning goodies and another cup of coffee which she enjoys while putting enjoying the balcony some more.

So  ... a balcony is nice but not imperative for myself but my Better Half totally loves a balcony and uses it often especially in the morning. We will often pull back the curtain in the early morning and open the slider all the way ... early morning is very nice temperature wise, later in the day in can be hot/humid.

Decisions, decisions.... I can see that we may have to try both, which is an even better prospect to look forward to!

Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions - I may be back for more!

2 hours ago, Wordzz said:

Decisions, decisions.... I can see that we may have to try both, which is an even better prospect to look forward to!

Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions - I may be back for more!

Interestingly this topic came up on my livestream show last night. Many returnees pick deck 4 as they would rather go more often thus they give up the balcony. food for thought  ....

• Like 2

Yep to all of the above.  Since we're east-coasters, we become early risers in FP due to the time change.  It's lovely making one's way to La Palette in the early hours, with the deck doors open, a coffee and croissant in hand while reading the Ia Orana (daily passages) or the printed Canadian (country-specific news updates.)

Later in the day it's the pool bar, in the evening La Palette again.  During sailing events, it's definitely the pool deck, or deck 9 for railside viewing.

Oh, and then there's the secret forward viewing deck on 8.  That's one argument for a deck 8 cabin--these are the best location on the ship, but not worth the price, unfortunately, unless they're discounted.

All this is making me homesick for my favourite ship, but after the way Ponant has treated those who were booked prior to the pandemic, you won't be seeing me on the PG any time soon, which probably means never again.  I would want to get evidence about how Ponant is managing the ship first as well, before ever booking again.  Sad, but then again I first travelled on the PG in 2000, so we had a pretty good run of it.