Ship bars while in port

jerseyjjs

1 hour ago, quattrohead said:

And they charge you the ports sales tax !!!!

At embarkation, I know Galveston will charge Texas tax. No tax levied in Florida and no tax levied in foreign ports. Can't speak for NOLA or NYC or Charleston.

34 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

No tax levied in Florida

I've paid sales tax for my drinks ordered while in port or before we've passed the 12 mile limit outbound from Port Canaveral.

Back to the OPs question:

Yes, most if not all are open.  Some might close if traffic is expected to be slow (they'll know this from past cruises) - e.g. Sports Bar might not open up until 4pm (random guess, no facts to back it up).

26 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

I've paid sales tax for my drinks ordered while in port or before we've passed the 12 mile limit outbound from Port Canaveral.

Back to the OPs question:

Yes, most if not all are open.  Some might close if traffic is expected to be slow (they'll know this from past cruises) - e.g. Sports Bar might not open up until 4pm (random guess, no facts to back it up).

Thank you.  The sports bar is what I'm referring to.  Scheduled to be in Nassau until 5, and was curious if the sports bar on board would be showing the 1st round of the NFL playoffs starting at noon.

8 minutes ago, jerseyjjs said:

Thank you.  The sports bar is what I'm referring to.  Scheduled to be in Nassau until 5, and was curious if the sports bar on board would be showing the 1st round of the NFL playoffs starting at noon.

They might not show any of the playoffs, it depends entirely on the license they have from their provider. If NFL games aren't included then they can't show them.

2 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

OK   I never recalled that.  but not doubting you.

1 minute ago, crewsweeper said:

OK   I never recalled that.  but not doubting you.

If you don't have Cheers, you might not notice - it is just another small number near the 18% grat line, in addition to your drink price.

When you have Cheers, you notice when your "free" drink costs $0.65.

2 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

State jurisdiction only goes out 3 miles, so that is where the tax stops.

4 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

State jurisdiction only goes out 3 miles, so that is where the tax stops.

Oh, OK.  I didn't exactly take time to measure 😉  - usually we are up on a top deck watching the port/shore disappear for quite a while before we go grab another drink.

Edited by ProgRockCruiser

1 hour ago, jfaaborg said:

another question. Is the cheers package still good while in port? 

The Cheers purchase is valid for the duration of your cruise. There are a few restrictions (no drinks in souvenir glasses, no tubes/buckets, etc.) but yeah, bottoms up!

1 hour ago, jfaaborg said:

another question. Is the cheers package still good while in port? 

Just now, mondello said:

The Cheers purchase is valid for the duration of your cruise. There are a few restrictions (no drinks in souvenir glasses, no tubes/buckets, etc.) but yeah, bottoms up!

That depends on where the ship sails from.  I know that Carnival out of Texas doesn't start until the 2nd day.

5 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

That depends on where the ship sails from.  I know that Carnival out of Texas doesn't start until the 2nd day.

Correct, I forgot about Texas because I've not sailed from there. I took it that OP was asking about Cheers in foreign ports when most pax are off the ship.

• Like 1

On 4/2/2021 at 3:36 PM, ProgRockCruiser said:

If you don't have Cheers, you might not notice - it is just another small number near the 18% grat line, in addition to your drink price.

When you have Cheers, you notice when your "free" drink costs $0.65.

yup, more annoying than anything.