10% OBC offers refundable or not

clojacks

The TA we routinely use has recently been offering OBC in the amount of 10% of your cruise fare, where in the past, it was often $200, $300, etc. This was almost always refundable, but now with the amounts being higher, I'm wondering if fellow CC members have an opinion on whether these higher amounts will still be refundable. We are looking at a couple of cruises where the OBC will be around $1000 pre cruise, and with all the perks available for the category we are looking at, its going to be tough to spend that. I know this is a Celebrity board and not a general question board, but I was just curious if anyone in here had an opinion.

42 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Why not just ask your TA? 

Why not ask if I have? I have asked them and they said, "They don't know". I'm sure they would rather we spend it all on things we don't need than them lose a possible return of it from Celebrity? Just speculating here on my part....as I would bet that if it all gets used, and there is accounting tools in place to indicate it was, that thee may be a "reward" to our TA. "Call me naive"

42 minutes ago, clojacks said:

Why not ask if I have? I have asked them and they said, "They don't know". I'm sure they would rather we spend it all on things we don't need than them lose a possible return of it from Celebrity? Just speculating here on my part....as I would bet that if it all gets used, and there is accounting tools in place to indicate it was, that thee may be a "reward" to our TA. "Call me naive"

LOL. If your TA doesn't even know, I don't think anyone here will have the answer. FWIW, my TA's OBC has always been refundable. It has been in the 8% range, not the $200-$300 range. In all of the threads dealing with TAs and/or OBC, I don't recall having seen a post saying that the writer's TA had upped the amount but changed it to non-refundable.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

LOL. If your TA doesn't even know, I don't think anyone here will have the answer. FWIW, my TA's OBC has always been refundable. It has been in the 8% range, not the $200-$300 range. In all of the threads dealing with TAs and/or OBC, I don't recall having seen a post saying that the writer's TA had upped the amount but changed it to non-refundable.

The big volume TA we use in NH has always based OBC on # of nights, cabin category, etc... and it was always a set amount. Lately we have been researching getting on water again in 2022, and that was where I noticed this particular TA offering 10% based on cruise price for almost all Lines. I found that unusual in my experience. Consequently, it made me question if there was a way they could change it to NROBC. Like you, I believe mine has ALWAYS been refundable WHEN IT CAME FROM THE TA, but "the times they are achanging" so I had to ask. By the way, I did post this in the general questions section as well and got this very detailed informative reply....

Depends on the TA

...as well as the true source of the SBC.

Firstly, there’s plenty of unscrupulous TAs who make it sound like the cruise line’s perks are theirs.

So, after you’ve established what are all the cruise line perks for your chosen itinerary, it’s time to “deal” with the TA in terms of what they can add.

IMO, the cleanest/most desirable TA perk is shared commissions resulting in a rebate check or refundable SBC. On average, we’re talking about 5-10% of the COMMISSIONABLE fare. And this is not unusual in longstanding TA/cruiser relationships.

However, it should be noted that TAs may also have access to “incentive” funds provided by travel consortiums to which the TA belongs as well as the cruise line itself. This often translates to coverage of gratuities, new cruiser discounts, “quiet” sales, etc - none of which come out of a TA’s pocket.

And it is these incentive funds that make identification of your desired cruiseline’s “preferred” TA partners so very important.

That said, it is still important not to be blinded by an offer of $$$. There’s something to be said about any particular TA’s ability to quickly and successfully handle any problem that may arise. And now, with the somewhat uncharted Covid territory, gaining exceptions to previously “hardline” cruiseline positions on things like FCC deadlines has taken on a whole new significance.

So, do your homework.

If they can't answer the question about the conditions refundable or not of the OBC they are offering I wouldn't book with them.   There are other reputable agencies who give 10% refundable on the commissionable cruise fare and also don't charge any fees.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

If they can't answer the question about the conditions refundable or not of the OBC they are offering I wouldn't book with them.   There are other reputable agencies who give 10% refundable on the commissionable cruise fare and also don't charge any fees.

Agreed. It wasn't apparent from the OP that it was a new TA offering the higher OBC but not able to say whether it was refundable or not, but if they can't/won't provide details, I'd definitely steer clear of them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

Agreed. It wasn't apparent from the OP that it was a new TA offering the higher OBC but not able to say whether it was refundable or not, but if they can't/won't provide details, I'd definitely steer clear of them.

I should clarify a couple of things, it appears. This is not a NEW TA, at least not for us. We have been booking with them for 15 years or longer. It is not a little Mom and Pop agency either. They are one of the largest in the country and are affiliated with a larger travel consortium group. So, I would be confident offering that they are "reputable". I don't know if the customer service desk has been advised to use the "not sure" line or not, but my relationship with them as a customer isn't going to cause me to not book with them. It was probably a stupid question for me to initiate....

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Wondering how an OBC by a TA could not be OBCR?  If you did not use it the Cruiselines would keep it.  It is $$ simply paid by your TA to the cruise company as a credit on your account.  

2 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Wondering how an OBC by a TA could not be OBCR?  If you did not use it the Cruiselines would keep it.  It is $$ simply paid by your TA to the cruise company as a credit on your account.  

In over 35 cruises booked with TAs I have had 2 occasions where the TA OBC was not totally refundable.  In both case part of the OBC was a joint marketing promotion with X  ($200)non-refundable and the remainder ($525) was refundable. 

Yes, it happens that TRavel Agent on board credit is part refundable and part non refundable.  Most of the time it’s 100% refundable but not always.  

I suspect that your Travel agent has chosen not to reveal what he or she probably knows about the refundability of the onboard credit that they are offering you.  It’s possible that they truly don’t know, but I am skeptical of that.

3 minutes ago, jelayne said:

In over 35 cruises booked with TAs I have had 2 occasions where the TA OBC was not totally refundable.  In both case part of the OBC was a joint marketing promotion with X  ($200)non-refundable and the remainder ($525) was refundable. 

I've also read about some less than fully honest TAs claiming to offer OBC that is in fact a perk given by the cruise line. I don't think that any experienced cruiser would fall for this, but there are plenty of neophytes booking from a wide variety of TAs.

They are not "giving you" anything.  It's coming from the fare you pay in one way or another.  I personally would not take "I don't know" as an answer.   The proper response is "I will find out and get back to you".   I would push on this harder.   It does make a difference. 

2 hours ago, Fouremco said:

I've also read about some less than fully honest TAs claiming to offer OBC that is in fact a perk given by the cruise line. I don't think that any experienced cruiser would fall for this, but there are plenty of neophytes booking from a wide variety of TAs.

You are so right, from time to time there is a post on here from a relatively new cruiser whose wonderful TA gave them a beverage package or $300 OBC, never knowing that those came from Celebrity not the TA.  

That is a back door deal between you and the TA.  The cruise line has nothing to do with it, as they have a no-rebate policy.  (We all know that is ignored on a regular basis, but the policy does exist).  So if the TA won’t give you a straight answer, then don’t expect to get it back, if you book with them. 

On Celebrity any “extra” OBC that I have received from my TA has always been refundable in the past.  I would shocked if this did not continue.  One knows for sure when it shows up on your account once on board.

I do not recall my invoice ever stating that the TA OBC is refundable, although it has always been refundable.

I suspect the OP’s TA is just being cautious.  I would certainly think that whether an OBC (even one purchased by the TA or yourself) is fully refundable would  be subject to Celebrity’s terms and conditions.  There might be some fine print that states the policy could change.  If the policy changed my TA would just issue me a cash rebate.  

OP, I used to use that same TA.  The answer to your question is it depends upon where the OBC comes from.  One of my cruises with them, the extra OBC came through a TA promotion from Celebrity.  If any of the OBC comes from a Celebrity backdoor promotion it is non refundable.  I learned that the hard way.

I suggest you call the TA and speak with a different rep. They may be able to determine the OBC source and whether it is refundable.

The TA I've used for the past several years is sending me an 11% cash rebate on my Regent cruises since it's all inclusive and Regent does not refund any OBC. On my Celebrity cruises I go to the ship's customer relations desk to get my refundable OBC . I have them peel out the cash. 

Your cabin TV billing page will show you which amounts are Refundable OBC and Non-Refundable OBC.  The reason I don't let them put it back on my credit card is the card will take back my cash back credit.  This way I keep that and get the cash to spend in ports.

Usually TA "OBC" is refundable.  The easiest way to find out , is to log into your cruise at the X website and look at your cruise planner.  In the planner it will show how much OBC you have to spend in the cruise planner.  If nothing shows the "OBC" from your TA is refundable, if a dollar amount shows available to use, then you know that it is non refundable.  The TA "OBC" will not appear on your cruise planner and will show up a few days after your board on your on board account as OBCR (on board credit refundable. 

7 minutes ago, CulverCityCruisers said:

Usually TA "OBC" is refundable.  The easiest way to find out , is to log into your cruise at the X website and look at your cruise planner.  In the planner it will show how much OBC you have to spend in the cruise planner.  If nothing shows the "OBC" from your TA is refundable, if a dollar amount shows available to use, then you know that it is non refundable.  The TA "OBC" will not appear on your cruise planner and will show up a few days after your board on your on board account as OBCR (on board credit refundable. 

Excellent suggestion about the cruise planner.  I've done that before too to verify amounts. Although when their TA gave me XX promotional OBC it didn't show up on the web site but showed up onboard as OBCN. But that was several years ago.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

I believe that Celebrity has a TA incentive program where passengers who book within a group can receive extra OBC per cabin that is non-refundable. This would look like extra OBC from a TA, but it's  from Celebrity so non-refundable. In the past we've booked from an online TA who gave 10% OBC that was refundable.