The pirate at the end of the gangway

Mo Jito

In the past when I’ve sailed solo, I’ve avoided the ship’s photographers. I didn’t think I’d want to buy photos of just me standing alone or posed next to a costumed staff member. But I’ve realized that I’ve come home from my solo trips with lots of pictures of beautiful places and interesting things, but very few photos of myself experiencing those places and things. 

So I’ve decided that on my next solo sailing, I am going to take advantage of every photo opportunity available, and I am going to do it with gusto. I will pose with whatever character or creature awaits at the end of the gangway in every port - be it pirate, lobster, moose or Viking. And I will put on my fancy duds and strike a pose on the grand stairway or beside the grand piano. I treasure the memories of my solo cruises just as much as I treasure my  memories of cruises shared with family and friends, and I’ve decided it’s time to have some of those solo moments packaged up in the same kind of official memento I’ve taken home from shared trips.

How about other solos - do you take advantage of photo opportunities with official ship’s photographers, or do you do your best to avoid the pirate at the end of the gangway?

• Like 8

7 hours ago, Mo Jito said:

In the past when I’ve sailed solo, I’ve avoided the ship’s photographers. I didn’t think I’d want to buy photos of just me standing alone or posed next to a costumed staff member. But I’ve realized that I’ve come home from my solo trips with lots of pictures of beautiful places and interesting things, but very few photos of myself experiencing those places and things. 

So I’ve decided that on my next solo sailing, I am going to take advantage of every photo opportunity available, and I am going to do it with gusto. I will pose with whatever character or creature awaits at the end of the gangway in every port - be it pirate, lobster, moose or Viking. And I will put on my fancy duds and strike a pose on the grand stairway or beside the grand piano. I treasure the memories of my solo cruises just as much as I treasure my  memories of cruises shared with family and friends, and I’ve decided it’s time to have some of those solo moments packaged up in the same kind of official memento I’ve taken home from shared trips.

How about other solos - do you take advantage of photo opportunities with official ship’s photographers, or do you do your best to avoid the pirate at the end of the gangway?

I haven't sailed solo (yet). I will just be "embarking" (pun intended) on sailing solo. But, I think you have the right attitude. Absolutely get in those photos! You're right, later on, you'll have those photos to spark certain memories of past solo cruises. And, as you mentioned, I'm sure you have plenty of photos (& memories) of past cruises shared with family and friends.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mtwingcpa said:

I bought 2 or 3 photos on one of my first cruises, but thereafter I've been an avoider. 😕  

Never too late to "change course" (again, pun intended). Hopefully, all of us will be solo cruising again sooner rather than later. And, we can take advantage of the many photo ops (who cares if we're solo).

• Like 2

Well, the OP asks an interesting question.  The "correct" answer will depend on each one's own views, of course.  And, I would suggest that "correct" answer might differ from one cruise to another.

Gangway embarkation photos:  I now avoid them as often as I allow my picture to be taken.  Once upon a time, I would buy such a picture.  Now, I never search for the photo unless I had it taken at the start of a "significant" cruise to me.  

Photos taken by a ship's photographer with a scenic backdrop:  Yes, I would allow the photographer to do his/her job; whether I buy the photo....?

Photos taken at my dining table:  no, I don't want a picture of me sitting there eating.  But, if I can get my tablemates to agree for a group picture--which was once easy to do, but recently, not so easy for whatever reason--yes, I have found those photos to be important in my memory of that cruise.  

My favorite photos of such experiences are two.  A picture of Roy, my wine steward on the 2008 world cruise of the Amsterdam with me at my table.  His service was stellar; his wine knowledge was stellar.  And, I happened to meet his family and he at the Grand Asia Mall in Manila during our port visit.  

The other favorite photo:  I am sitting at my table wearing my Gold Mariner Medallion that I received earlier in the day with my dining room team arranged behind me:  Sumi the wine Steward, Agus the Table Captain, Ronnie the Steward, and Joko the Assistant Steward.  Joko was a jokester whom I really liked; a young steward who got undeserved "flack" from a few guests around my table.  In the photo, he tried--unsuccessfully--to give me "rabbit ears".  Every day,  I view that photo and I smile each time.  

OP, don't be shy about asking fellow guests or crew members to take your picture wherever or whatever you are doing.  I have never had anyone refuse to do so when I asked them.  

• Like 5

Nope, no photos for me.  Actually my last 4 cruises didn't have photographers on board so it was not offered.

And I agree with rka,  it is all about our own individual wants.....priorities.

I don't care about having a photo taken of myself. Not something that matters to me. But if you

enjoy it? Go for it.🙂

• Like 2

I'll continue to run away from the pirate. However, upon our return to sea I intend to take advantage of everything else I can! I'm going to attend the art auctions and port talks, albeit mainly because they'll be the basis of a drinking game (take one sip for cliched marketing-speak, two sips for each mention of 'limited quantity so don't hesitate', a full shot if I break out laughing at the hyperbole, etc). I'm going to check out the game shows and silent disco and trivia and all that other stuff.

Heck, maybe I will go see the pirate as well.

Edited by coastcat
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, coastcat said:

I'm going to attend the art auctions and port talks, albeit mainly because they'll be the basis of a drinking game (take one sip for cliched marketing-speak, two sips for each mention of 'limited quantity so don't hesitate', a full shot if I break out laughing at the hyperbole, etc).

I didn't know art auctions and port talks could be that fun. Memo to self filed to memory.

19 hours ago, coastcat said:

Heck, maybe I will go see the pirate as well.

But don't go after attending one of those art auctions and/or port talks (and playing the drinking game). The resulting picture(s) could turn out to be very incriminating...(JK).

• Like 1

I have never purchased ship photos even when I cruised with my son growing up.  I am like you and I have thousands of photos of places and places with my son in them but only a few with me in them.  I did not like my picture until a couple of years ago.  I took a selfie with me in my sunglasses up against Stonehenge.  I liked it so much I started taking them every place I go.  A friend of my started calling them the "Floating Head" pictures.  Now I have an folder on my pubic site full of Floating Heads around the world.

ACtC-3dk1DXfBvi7xkApijBtnSBSxhW5STSPB-P6

• Like 9

23 hours ago, farmersfight said:

I didn't know art auctions and port talks could be that fun

Art Auctions fun?  Not in my experience.  Unless, one defines "fun" as getting a flute or more of a cheap sparkling wine.  Depending upon the speaker, port talks can be entertaining and informative.  But, fun?  

5 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Art Auctions fun?  Not in my experience.  Unless, one defines "fun" as getting a flute or more of a cheap sparkling wine.  Depending upon the speaker, port talks can be entertaining and informative.  But, fun?  

I think the drinking game that @coastcatwas referring to has a lot to do with the art auctions and port talks being "fun".

On 4/11/2021 at 5:31 PM, Traveling Mike said:

A friend of my started calling them the "Floating Head" pictures.  Now I have an folder on my pubic site full of Floating Heads around the world.

I love your floating head picture, Mike! In my family we’ve made a bit of a game out of taking terrible selfies. Here I am in Barcelona - dark circles courtesy of my red eye flight and messy hair courtesy of the rainy weather. But I had a blast exploring Barcelona on my own pre-cruise! 

A21A8C42-D38C-4AFF-884D-47213DB1BF4C.jpeg

Edited by Mo Jito
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, farmersfight said:

I think the drinking game that @coastcatwas referring to has a lot to do with the art auctions and port talks being "fun".

Without the free champagne (well, probably cheap sparkling wine), "fun" would be the wrong word to describe those activities. With it, yeah, bring on the spiels! Or at least that's my working theory. I'll let y'all know how it works out...

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, coastcat said:

Without the free champagne (well, probably cheap sparkling wine), "fun" would be the wrong word to describe those activities. With it, yeah, bring on the spiels! Or at least that's my working theory. I'll let y'all know how it works out...

Now that you mention this, I now recall doing the same thing "back in the day" on the Carnival Ecstasy. We looked in the Carnival Capers (I think that's what it was called) and found all the activities, gatherings & talks that had free drinks (alcoholic, of course). I do remember attending something to do with art (you can see how much I was paying attention. "Next free drink please!"). Oh yeah, and we definitely did the wine tasting event for the free wine. I was a lot younger then and had a lot less $, lol.

Edited by farmersfight
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Oh my I love the idea of floating head pictures. This is the kind of silly thing I could send back to the kids every day. 🙂 I really hope I get to take a floating head pic at Pisa this summer.

Solo cruising is brand new for me, with the first one being (hopefully) in July. I think I'll try stopping for most of the picture stops as a way to keep me engaged, and as a way to document my trip. And I'll make a point of floating head picturing all along as well.

• Like 2

I’ve always hated pictures of myself... so much so when my parents tried to put together an album of pictures of me for my 21st birthday (a long time ago) they could only find a couple after about age 12. At one stage my mum was trying to find a current picture of me to send to my godparents on the other side of the planet and the only one she could find was of me holding someone’s baby. 
On my first cruise I had a clash with one of the photographers who turned out to be a prize PIA as well as an idiot. 
I’ll grin a bear the picture taking as I know the photographers have to take a certain number to meet quotas, but after seeing one with my hair standing on end with one of gangway mascots I don’t do pier side anymore. I can’t comprehend a photographer who thinks that was an acceptable image.

I also discovered when I did the behind the scenes tour they take a picture of you in the main galley with props and then give it to you printed in a presentation binder with the ship itinerary. That photo gift was included in the price of the tour which made it pretty decent value.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, eileeshb said:

I also discovered when I did the behind the scenes tour they take a picture of you in the main galley with props and then give it to you printed in a presentation binder with the ship itinerary. That photo gift was included in the price of the tour which made it pretty decent value.

Yes, those photos are good memory makers for me.  Sometimes, if a visit to the Bridge is included on those tours, a picture with the Captain or one of the Officers on duty is included.  

The end of the tour cocktail party with the bag of gifts one gets really does help make the Behind the Scenes Tours a great value.  

2 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Yes, those photos are good memory makers for me.  Sometimes, if a visit to the Bridge is included on those tours, a picture with the Captain or one of the Officers on duty is included.  

The end of the tour cocktail party with the bag of gifts one gets really does help make the Behind the Scenes Tours a great value.  

I don’t think they include the bridge on any of the tours these days due to security concerns. I’m hoping to maybe get to the bridge viewing room during my cruise on Norwegian Epic. The newer ships I’ve been on previously didn’t have that room so we didn’t get anywhere near the bridge on the tour. 

12 minutes ago, eileeshb said:

I don’t think they include the bridge on any of the tours these days due to security concerns. I’m hoping to maybe get to the bridge viewing room during my cruise on Norwegian Epic. The newer ships I’ve been on previously didn’t have that room so we didn’t get anywhere near the bridge on the tour. 

The Bridge Tours that I have experienced as a part of the Behind the Scenes Tour always had a member of the ship's Security Detail with us, watching us like a hawk.  

What ships have you sailed that had the Tour?  

I was unaware that Norwegian Epic had a Bridge viewing room.  Queen Mary 2 has one where the curtain is open during certain hours of the day.  

On 4/27/2021 at 9:20 PM, rkacruiser said:

The Bridge Tours that I have experienced as a part of the Behind the Scenes Tour always had a member of the ship's Security Detail with us, watching us like a hawk.  

What ships have you sailed that had the Tour?  

I was unaware that Norwegian Epic had a Bridge viewing room.  Queen Mary 2 has one where the curtain is open during certain hours of the day.  

I did the tour on Norwegian Breakaway and Getaway,  not much difference between the 2 except for the backstage in the theatres.  I know the platinum level guests get the option of a tour for free early in the cruise, but us without that level can pay for a tour that’s scheduled towards the end of the cruise. The dressing rooms for the theatres had the most interesting content but we weren’t allowed take pictures in there as the costumes are copyrighted. The main galley was early in the tour too where they took a photo of each person even if booked as a family/group each person got one of the photo presentation sets at the end.
we went down below sea level to the food storage fridges and freezers, then also the recycling centre and laundry. 

If you look at the deck plans there’s no bridge viewing room in the newer NCL ships. Even on Epic the bridge viewing room looks iffy for access as there’s a lot of blank space around it compared to some of the older vessels. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, eileeshb said:

I did the tour on Norwegian Breakaway and Getaway,  not much difference between the 2 except for the backstage in the theatres.  I know the platinum level guests get the option of a tour for free early in the cruise, but us without that level can pay for a tour that’s scheduled towards the end of the cruise. The dressing rooms for the theatres had the most interesting content but we weren’t allowed take pictures in there as the costumes are copyrighted. The main galley was early in the tour too where they took a photo of each person even if booked as a family/group each person got one of the photo presentation sets at the end.
we went down below sea level to the food storage fridges and freezers, then also the recycling centre and laundry. 

Thanks for your reply.  Your tours covered much of the same territory as mine as done.  The backstage area of the theater was, indeed, a very interesting place to visit with all of the stage props/scenery/costumes, etc.  The amount of space that the performers have to get to their dressing rooms and change costumes:  wow!  Not much space!

The visits to the laundry to see how they keep my laundry separate and properly identified from other guests was quite interesting.  We also got to visit the tailor's shop where 4 gentlemen were busy at their sewing machines.  

Was the Engine Control Room a part of your tour?

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Thanks for your reply.  Your tours covered much of the same territory as mine as done.  The backstage area of the theater was, indeed, a very interesting place to visit with all of the stage props/scenery/costumes, etc.  The amount of space that the performers have to get to their dressing rooms and change costumes:  wow!  Not much space!

The visits to the laundry to see how they keep my laundry separate and properly identified from other guests was quite interesting.  We also got to visit the tailor's shop where 4 gentlemen were busy at their sewing machines.  

Was the Engine Control Room a part of your tour?

No access to the engine control room or the tailors but we did see the officers uniform being taken care of in the laundry area.  How long ago was your tour? I’m guessing the bridge and engineering areas are more likely to be off limits these days.