Can Royal be far behind as NCL freezes voyage bookings until Sept. 1, 2021

NCL has removed the ability to book sailings until Sept 1, 2021 from their website.  When their webpage was questioned about it, this was their response:

"Thank you. With the COVID-19 pandemic continuing to impact communities and ports around the globe, we are working to determine our next course of action. While we evaluate the opportunity to resume with sailings, we have temporarily frozen voyages that might be impacted should we need to delay sailing further. Please bear with us. We will make a decision shortly and will provide information as it becomes available."

22 minutes ago, Joehult said:

Could also mean they’re running out of cash to operate. 

Why stop selling cruises then?

Cruise lines know that this latest round of "guidance" sets back return to cruising even more than they ever thought.

• Like 4

RCL needs to do the same. This is the responsible thing to do. Many of us have cash locked up in hopes of a vacation that isn’t going to happen. Time to move on and it is the responsibility of the company to go ahead and cancel summer voyages in light of the recent announcement by the CDC. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

A long time ago NCL told their investors they are putting all ships into cold layup.  Cold layup can take longer to bring a ship back into full service.

Presuming NCL did not mislead their investors it may take longer for NCL to come back so naturally they will often lead in terms of future cancellations.

42 minutes ago, Kokomo91165 said:

RCL needs to do the same. This is the responsible thing to do. Many of us have cash locked up in hopes of a vacation that isn’t going to happen. Time to move on and it is the responsibility of the company to go ahead and cancel summer voyages in light of the recent announcement by the CDC. 

It's unfortunate that so many people have both their time and their money tied up in summer vacations that in all likelihood will not occur aboard ships. With many people in the position of a having a booking secured with a NRD, their money being tight, and vacation time locked in, all the cruise lines should do the ethical thing and cancel those sailings so that people can either move their vacation to next year (to do it without a cancellation could cost them 2x what they have currently paid) or get a refund quickly so they can salvage this year's family vacation. If this was the first summer where everyone was hanging on in the "hopes" their sailing would embark, it would be different. 
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Why stop selling cruises then?

Cruise lines know that this latest round of "guidance" sets back return to cruising even more than they ever thought.

They might be cutting staff to barely a skeleton and no longer have the manpower to continuously shift reservations every 2 to three months, or take phone calls. 

9 minutes ago, MaritimeR&R said:
 It's unfortunate that so many people have both their time and their money tied up in summer vacations that in all likelihood will not occur aboard ships. With many people in the position of a having a booking secured with a NRD, their money being tight, and vacation time locked in, all the cruise lines should do the ethical thing and cancel those sailings so that people can either move their vacation to next year (to do it without a cancellation could cost them 2x what they have currently paid) or get a refund quickly so they can salvage this year's family vacation. If this was the first summer where everyone was hanging on in the "hopes" their sailing would embark, it would be different. 

The cruise lines have been giving people plenty of options to cancel, change or refund. If someone booked with a NRD, took FCCs or lifted and shifted during these uncertain times it is on them. The cruise lines are going to keep the money for as long as they can so they can operate.

• Like 4

My 8 night on Indy was 'frozen' before the holidays, when the original conditional sail order came out.  Pulled from the site so you can't book it, but never canceled.  We are now past final date and as of today, I can check in for my cruise.  So I really hope they just make a decision, this 'freeze' thing truly leaves you in limbo.  I know it won't sail, they know it won't sail. If I hadn't paid in full using FCC, I would have pulled the plug before final payment.  I know there are quite a few others in the same predicament, whose cruises are frozen but not canceled.  Many are holding out for the actual cancelation so they can get a refund rather than more FCC.  

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, rockmom said:

My 8 night on Indy was 'frozen' before the holidays, when the original conditional sail order came out.

That is due to the prohibition of sailings over 7 days, not really related to this NCL freeze.

2 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

That is due to the prohibition of sailings over 7 days, not really related to this NCL freeze.

Totally get that, but by now they should at least be able to give us an update. They know they are not sailing for 8 days or longer early this summer.  All the other cruise lines either canceled or shortened theirs a while ago so people could make a decision.  As I said, I know it won't sail and since I don't have anything other that port fees and taxes tied up, I'm letting it ride, but I know there are a lot on my roll call that feel like 5 months of limbo is enough and they could have at least extended final payment. I have to agree with them. (Meanwhile, the automated Cruise Planner emails continue to urge us to buy more stuff for our sailing, lol)   I did have another one this summer that I bailed on, it was only a five day, so took the $100 per person FCC.  I also had a Canadian sailing out of Seattle, but it was a 3 night one that won't be replicated next year and only went to Victoria nd Vancouver, so I was able to get that as a refund.  I really don't need any more FCC unless they push the use by date out again.  

• Like 1

If anyone has gone to their website lately, this page will come up with this little info.

Times Change, So Do Our Protocols
We’re continually evaluating our protocols and will make updates as public health standards evolve. Booked guests will be advised of the latest requirements within 30 days of sailing. Learn more.

2 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

The cruise lines have been giving people plenty of options to cancel, change or refund. If someone booked with a NRD, took FCCs or lifted and shifted during these uncertain times it is on them. The cruise lines are going to keep the money for as long as they can so they can operate.

And we only have $529 invested in our upcoming, we can easily float that and keep in place in case a miracle occurs.  Even our flights to Fl. can be refunded, we paid in points.  So we're just gonna be patient for now.

8 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Believe it or not there are people who booked their 2021 summer cruise with NRD back in Nov. of 2019 BEFORE Covid19 ever made its appearance.  They have not been given the opportunity to cancel, change or refund without it costing them, even if its only part of their deposit. 

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

There are some people like me who booked their cruise with a NRD long before Covid was in the picture, but I do agree with you concerning those who continue to book cruises after last April.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, mek said:

There are some people like me who booked their cruise with a NRD long before Covid was in the picture, but I do agree with you concerning those who continue to book cruises after last April.

It's not an issue for those who have unlimited time and/or can afford to have their money tied up after final payment and still be able to book a substitute land vacation

1 hour ago, MaritimeR&R said:

Believe it or not there are people who booked their 2021 summer cruise with NRD back in Nov. of 2019 BEFORE Covid19 ever made its appearance.  They have not been given the opportunity to cancel, change or refund without it costing them, even if its only part of their deposit. 

FCCs were always available for canceling with a NRD before Covid. If it was booked in 2019 then they had plenty of time to cancel before final payment. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Not all of it is on "them"... We booked a July 30, 2021 cruise in early Dec of 2019. I booked a NRD because not only of the huge price difference but I had no thought of cancelling my British Isles cruise with Celebrity at the time. No option has been given yet and our final is due May 1st. which is a lot of $$'s for my suite and business class air. I'm just hoping a decision by X is done before that or at least give me the option to move my $900 deposit to a 2023 X cruise as I'm completely booked up with RCI for 2022.

• Like 2

Wow. Who would of thought that a December 2021 cruise was looking iffy? :classic_tongue: We keep pushing these cruises further and further out, and this is like the pandemic that just keeps on going and extends the cruising pause. It is weird. When you are sitting at home, you think, surely it will be better by then. :classic_smile: And when that one is cancelled or moved forward by another year! You think, surely it will be better by then. :classic_rolleyes: :classic_biggrin:

And it just keeps not happening. :classic_rolleyes: There are still a lot of months left in this year two. :classic_smile:

• Like 3

We were told to quarantine for two weeks to flatten the curve, wearing masks would stop the spread, and now millions of more people are getting vaccinated daily and the CDC still recommends only essential travel? We need to wake up and see what this ploy is all about?

Let us live our own lives and leave it up to the individuals to take and assume the risks.

• Like 11