Greece - Ship Excursions Only Or DIY Allowed Also?

N 2 Sun

Early in the Pandemic, there was speculation that some cruise ports around the world would not allow “free range” cruisers off the ships....in other words,  only cruisers on authorized excursions would be allowed to visit. Of course, much has thankfully improved in many parts of the world since the early days of fear and uncertainty. 

Based upon current knowledge, can I assume that Greece will be open to DIY explorations?

Edited by N 2 Sun

I cannot imagine how anyone can predict when Greece will re-open to tourists and certainly not if it does will cruise line only excursions be permitted.   

There are simply too many moving parts.

The covid situation in Greece is much worse than it was in the late fall timeframe....and getting much worse since the first week or so in February. . Not certain why some people, including travel writers, are claiming the contrary.

https://graphics.reuters.com/world-coronavirus-tracker-and-maps/countries-and-territories/greece/

Edited by iancal
  • Thanks 1

The answer to your question may vary from port to port. One location may allow DIY and the next one not. And it might also very overtime, one week it’s OK, the next week it’s not. If you are thinking of booking some private tour, I would make darn sure that you can get your money back if it is not allowed.

• Thanks 1

I am booked on the Apex July 31...the itinerary that goes out of Athens to Santorini, Rhodes, Haifa and Ashdod...

Nothing I have received thus far from Celebrity indicates that we are restricted in port choices.  We did see one email that "strongly encouraged" that we take their shorexes--as they will have high standards for safety protocols including smaller than usual groups.

I normally prefer doing private tours...BUT, OTOH, I have a LOT of cruise line OBC on this one ($650)...and since I also have gratuities and unlimited drinks included (AND, I believe someone is also gifting me two specialty restaurants), I have little to spend that OBC on other than shore excursions...

SO, I am perfectly fine with doing the two Greek ports with that OBC (and, even taking two of the higher priced shorexes currently offered, that would only eat up $520 of that OBC)...

Theoretically, I could use OBC on shorexes for Israel as well...BUT, the Israeli shorexes currently being offered leave EXTREMELY poor choices.  For example, they only list four excursions out of Haifa...and three of them are specifically Christian in nature--1) "most significant sites of Jesus' ministry" in the Galilee, 2)  "a number of sites which are important to the Christian faith" in the Galilee, 3) Half day tour to Nazareth "where Jesus spent his youth"...and 4) a half day tour of Haifa and Acre--which includes a visit to a monastery and to a crusader's hall and crypt.  We are NOT Christians.  There is a lot to see in this area that is NOT specifically aimed at a Christian audience.  Last time we did a cruise stop in Haifa, we formed a small group and had a wonderful tour to Caesarea and Megiddo (two incredible archaeological sites) plus a visit to an historical kibbutz and a tour of Haifa itself.

The Jerusalem offerings are almost as bad.  At least there, they were more inclusive and have tours aimed at multiple interests, the choices are still unsatisfying.  For example, there are three tours which appeal to a specifically Jewish audience--one is a "small group" tour to Yad Vashem and the Jewish Quarter...another is a 5-hour tour to Jewish sites and the third is a 9.5 hour version...The "small group" tour would appeal to me since it would be, at last, closer to the private tour experience...Problem is that it is a 6 and1/4 hour tour!!!  One has to realize, for two of these three shorexes, that we are scheduled to be in port in Ashdod from 6:00 am to 11:00 pm...The drive between Ashdod and Jerusalem, depending on traffic, takes at least an HOUR each way--often more.  So, on a day where we might otherwise leave after breakfast and have many hours to explore an area with a LOT to see, we'd be taking a shorex to get in maybe 2 or 3 hours of touring!!!

• Thanks 2

Thank you all for the information and opinions on Greek  travel this summer.

I’m encouraged to hear that Steve is booked already for July and has so far received nothing to say that DIY explorations are banned. 

Thank you iancal for the link. I will check it often updates on greece and other areas around the Mediterranean. 

Be careful.   There may be two issues. The cruise lines may be very reluctant to answer a question directly about excursions. They very much need, and want your money.

Also, the rules can be changed at any time, as can the itinerary.  A week before sailing or even on your date of embarkation.   You may  have no recourse but once you are there your are there as they say.

We go to Greece fairly often and we have taken a number of cruises. We are hoping to go in the late fall.  We are not considering a cruise for the above reasons unless there is a drastic turnaround.  We are not very optimistic but remain somewhat hopeful that we can get there in late Sept/early Oct.   Certainly not making any non refundable air or accommodation reservations at this juncture.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, N 2 Sun said:

I’m encouraged to hear that Steve is booked already for July and has so far received nothing to say that DIY explorations are banned. 

Don´t place you bet on that conclusion!

I am not going into the problem IF those cruises will be doable for Americans or not. So far they are not... let´s see what happens.

However, I can tell you that Greece had and has the regulation that excursions need to be done in a "bubble concept" - cruise line tours only. It was part of the agreements to allow cruising again in Greece. Regardless of Celebrity.

I can say so out of our own experience. We sailed on a cruise to Greece under the Covid-guidelines already with TUI Cruises. I reported here when we did.

The second clue: in their emails about the St. Maarten cruises Celebrity made it a point and clearly stated that you can do DIY tours. 

Their silence about that subject in their information on Greek cruises is deafening 🙂
They know why... 😉

Edited by Miaminice
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I would not take comfort in what others are planning nor would I assume that covid is going away.

Greece can close it's borders, change excursion rules on a dime as it were depending on their covid situation.  This is extremely fluid at the moment.   It is far from over and there is no telling which way it will go over the next six months or for how long.

That is why we have been relying on the numbers, not the rhetoric, to give us an indication of what might happen. That includes optimistic bumph from the various cruise lines.

We came home early from Mexico last March.  At that time we were being told that covid was flu like, that it would not last, that we were over the worst of it, yata yata yata.  

A year later we are still seeing a very significant increase in covid infections and hospitalizations due to covid where we live. 

Edited by iancal
  • Like 2

They still haven't finalized the protocols in Greece.  https://cruiseradio.net/celebrity-still-negotiating-health-protocols-for-summer-cruising/

As many have mentioned above, the situation is VERY fluid.  That said, there is enormous pressure in Greece to come up with a workable solution to allow tourists to enter over the summer.  The country simply can't survive another full summer with ZERO tourism dollars.  While the vaccine rollout has been slow locally, they have focused on people in the hospital and tourism industry in the hope of opening up.  Cruises are but one small part of the tourism equation, but Celebrity is not alone in announcing cruises out of Athens and I suspect there will be a lot of work done to ensure those that are scheduled are able to go ahead as planned.

The UK will be operating a traffic light system of countries. Greece is meant to be in the Green list which means no requirement for quarantine on return, but there is a need for a pre departure test, and a further test on return.

These tests currently cost £120pp which adds a significant sum to the holiday ($164pp per test)

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, little britain said:

The UK will be operating a traffic light system of countries. Greece is meant to be in the Green list which means no requirement for quarantine on return, but there is a need for a pre departure test, and a further test on return.

These tests currently cost £120pp which adds a significant sum to the holiday ($164pp per test)

It seems it will be several weeks yet before the traffic light system is rolled out and initial country designation known. Even then it will be fluid and subject to change at any time. The additional cost of testing for green zone countries will be an issue for many. In real  terms travel will only be for the hardy and desperate!

1 hour ago, kittywife77 said:

I got an email last night with a link to the Healthy at Sea protocols. It states initially you are bound to go on ship excursions. That may change though. 

It’s a requirement by local authorities, not the cruise line. And Greece has had this requirement since cruising started there last summer - they won’t change it anytime soon.

FYI: Celebrity don’t have the requirement on their St. Maarten cruises.

Edited by Miaminice

1 hour ago, george_sf said:

kittywife77, can you please share the link? No where do I see that online. Thank you. George

I don't know if this is the same document, but it would appear to be:

https://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Celebrity/General_Info/CEL_Healthy_at_Sea_FAQs.pdf?fbclid=IwAR1BV5fsidLTVA3eUnTR2ArtcUhb3PdNZLA3aVG4DKIFuPdjLDxnIBbi4nQ

1 minute ago, george_sf said:

Thanks. See it now... Was just about to book a non-ship excursion. Glad I waited! 

George, we were all set to try to put together a small group and private tour for the Israel ports...

BUT, we just renegotiated our deal and moved to a Sky Suite...and now have $1750 in onboard credit and nothing to spend it on other than shore excursions...So, for us, private tours are out the window.

The current list of Celebrity excursions still suck...So, I sent an inquiry to their "Private Journeys" department to see what we might be able to come up with that's different than what's offered...

1 hour ago, Bruin Steve said:

George, we were all set to try to put together a small group and private tour for the Israel ports...

BUT, we just renegotiated our deal and moved to a Sky Suite...and now have $1750 in onboard credit and nothing to spend it on other than shore excursions...So, for us, private tours are out the window.

The current list of Celebrity excursions still suck...So, I sent an inquiry to their "Private Journeys" department to see what we might be able to come up with that's different than what's offered...

How does one renegotiate their cruise deal?

13 minutes ago, KWW88 said:

How does one renegotiate their cruise deal?

Without getting into the whole story, the simple version is that you say, "Gee...You have a lot of unsold Sky Suites...what would it take to move to one of those?"  Of course, like any negotiation, there is give and take...I got my suite, I got some better perks...but I also paid more money.  What spurred me to do this was moving to the Athens cruise...Usually, I watch the pricing on the website...and when I see a drop in price...or the opportunity to upgrade for a small price, that is when I call...

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Bruin Steve said:

Without getting into the whole story, the simple version is that you say, "Gee...You have a lot of unsold Sky Suites...what would it take to move to one of those?"  Of course, like any negotiation, there is give and take...I got my suite, I got some better perks...but I also paid more money.  What spurred me to do this was moving to the Athens cruise...Usually, I watch the pricing on the website...and when I see a drop in price...or the opportunity to upgrade for a small price, that is when I call...

Ahh, so you call Celebrity directly and do not use a TA, or so it sounds?

2 minutes ago, KWW88 said:

Ahh, so you call Celebrity directly and do not use a TA, or so it sounds?

Well...that was the "simplified" version...I actually call my TA and have them call Celebrity...In the case of this last one, it was a three-way call...But, if you book through a TA, the TA has to be involved.  If you book directly, you can call directly.

• Thanks 2