New promotion 60% off for second pax. US only

oddjob16

5 minutes ago, royallondon said:

Was the Majestic Line featured in Cruising with Jane McDonald?  If so, I’d love to do that as the scenery looked fabulous.  Not sure my sea legs (or lack off) however would be suited.  Just about managed the Waverley! 😂

Back on topic, we look forward to hearing of “Onwards” 2022 itineraries and hope that the pricing for the UK market returns to a level in line with it’s offering.

Regards

Yes it was - they have two newer boats than she was on both with stabilisers but its the same principle, cruise after breakfast and lunch, short stops ashore in bays or little towns (or to the pub after dinner) and always at anchor during meals and at night.  It doesn't suit everyone as there is no set itinerary just a cruising area, the itinerary is worked out each day before based on tides and weather.

Like you I am just waiting for 2022 all the updated itineraries taking account of Onwards and hoping in the short term they make a quick decision about the July itineraries as we all realise they arent extremely unlikely to happen as advertised and having a horse in that race........

Edited by uktog
  • Like 1

The UK does now have a new offer called Destinations to Inspire you, Prices to Match.  Trouble is, I cannot see any "offer" prices are still the same as yesterday, maybe the pricing is still to catch up

2 hours ago, uktog said:

The UK does now have a new offer called Destinations to Inspire you, Prices to Match.  Trouble is, I cannot see any "offer" prices are still the same as yesterday, maybe the pricing is still to catch up

I’ve just looked at the prices for our 2022 cruise, it’s covered by the new offer but the price is the same as it’s been since the last offer ended.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Riocca said:

I’ve just looked at the prices for our 2022 cruise, it’s covered by the new offer but the price is the same as it’s been since the last offer ended.

Thats what I found for the one we are following so I cannot work out what the offer is

We’ve been tracking the June 2022 Greece intensive and no change in price.  Interesting to see many July & August 2021 cruises included in the promotion.  I can’t see them sailing and so to include them in a new promotion seems very strange.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, royallondon said:

We’ve been tracking the June 2022 Greece intensive and no change in price.  Interesting to see many July & August 2021 cruises included in the promotion.  I can’t see them sailing and so to include them in a new promotion seems very strange.

Yes I spotted that, and the prices are pretty high so I am not sure they are really wanting bookings.  Its a weird offer and its name could be open to some humorous responses.  The cruise I am booked on - ok 18 nights - is currently priced at £18,000 for 2 in the lowest grade balcony cabin 🙂 

Edited by uktog
  • Like 1

I think it might be possible to get started in late summer, maybe in August. July is a thad too early IMHO. 
They could also consider starting with Brittish Isles cruises and domestic pax only, - even maybe a few cruises to nowhere out of Southamton.

Cruising could happen, -problem is to get the overseas pax to Europe and to convince european ports to open up for cruises. 
I would definately consider a cruise to nowhere. 🤪🤪🤪

I tend toward cynicism, but for cruise lines to hype "60% Off..." is really just smoke and mirrors.   60% off of what?   There is no fixed base price.  The prices can be changed daily, or even more frequently.  If you're not regularly tracking a specific cruise in detail it seems you have no objective metric to judge what constitutes an actual "sale."

I've noted elsewhere that we're booked on the Sept 28 2021 Pursuit, Athens to Rome, and I watch the cruise just about every day.   A week or so ago the Club Continent Suite was about $7K and the Spa Suite was about $13K (Avg Per Person).

Today the Club Con Suite is  $10,399, and the Spa is $10,799.    Each stateroom category is tagged "60% Off Second Passenger."   Again I ask off what?     My interpretation would be "Off of the arbitrary (and temporary) price we have currently set in order to run this promotion."

This is not a ding specifically on Azamara; my sense is that these practices are common across the industry.  And indeed across many industries that do not have set prices for their product.

Apologies for the repetition if others have already posted similar comments.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/5/2021 at 1:02 PM, govanguy said:

UK consumer rules dictate that a higher price must have been shown in the last 28 days before a price comparison can be made. i.e. was £9000, now £7000.

I`m assuming and hoping that the initial new pricing will drop at the 28 day stage in UK. Sometime around 28/4/20.

Thanks UKTOG for jogging my memory on this on a previous post

Any  thoughts around a May Bank Holiday Sale this weekend coming? Buy One Get One Half Off?

On 4/9/2021 at 8:32 AM, mwf7501 said:

I tend toward cynicism, but for cruise lines to hype "60% Off..." is really just smoke and mirrors.   60% off of what?   There is no fixed base price.  The prices can be changed daily, or even more frequently.  If you're not regularly tracking a specific cruise in detail it seems you have no objective metric to judge what constitutes an actual "sale."

I've noted elsewhere that we're booked on the Sept 28 2021 Pursuit, Athens to Rome, and I watch the cruise just about every day.   A week or so ago the Club Continent Suite was about $7K and the Spa Suite was about $13K (Avg Per Person).

Today the Club Con Suite is  $10,399, and the Spa is $10,799.    Each stateroom category is tagged "60% Off Second Passenger."   Again I ask off what?     My interpretation would be "Off of the arbitrary (and temporary) price we have currently set in order to run this promotion."

This is not a ding specifically on Azamara; my sense is that these practices are common across the industry.  And indeed across many industries that do not have set prices for their product.

Apologies for the repetition if others have already posted similar comments.

The BOGO60% off second person really boarders on fraud since the cost for the first person is not disclosed until after you have worked through the booking process. I have never seen this happen on other cruise lines. There have been many BOGO offers where the first person’s fare is higher with the second person’s fare considerably less. The current promotion is not really transparent or a bargain.

Edited by Mapu
Spelling
  • Like 1

On 4/26/2021 at 6:24 AM, govanguy said:

Any  thoughts around a May Bank Holiday Sale this weekend coming? Buy One Get One Half Off?

If that promotion is similar to the BOGO60% offer here in the states it will not really be transparent. Look at it carefully.

37 minutes ago, Mapu said:

If that promotion is similar to the BOGO60% offer here in the states it will not really be transparent. Look at it carefully.

So probably would not be allowed under UK Sale advertising legislation

• Like 1

I booked several 2022 cruises early March, for a reasonable price (and hope to pay the balance with FCC which, until yesterday, was to be used in 2021). When the US promotion was recently introduced, I calculated that we had paid the AUD equivalent to the new US price. However, the current AUD price is prohibitively high - apparently jncreased so they can introduce the same “discount” deal here at some near future date and people will think they’ve saved thousands of $. Even so, I felt we did get a good price when we booked, so to that extent this promotion should result in fair prices if it’s introduced outside the US. 

They don’t seem to realise we are able to compare pricing across different countries, helped always by the cross information shared on cruise critic, and that we get annoyed when we don’t get the same relative pricing at the same time. 

Also, watch out for how FCC applies. Although, as couple, we think in terms of the total price, the practice is to show individual prices on invoices.  So, if a couple each have say $10k FCC, there may be problems applying it when the new booking is $10k for one and $4k for the other, resulting in $6k FCC which can’t be used. If that happens (as it did with us for 2021 bookings) be prepared to be persistent and patient to seek having the full FCC applied to the full cost of the new booking.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Mapu said:

The BOGO60% off second person really boarders on fraud since the cost for the first person is not disclosed until after you have worked through the booking process. I have never seen this happen on other cruise lines. There have been many BOGO offers where the first person’s fare is higher with the second person’s fare considerably less. The current promotion is not really transparent or a bargain.

I don't think you can say "fraud" because you can either buy it or not.  It's no worse than the BOGO offers at Publix where the price of the first item is elevated. 

We just booked a 2022 leg - I think the first person fare was a bit elevated, but the second person fare was quite a bit lower than I would expect.  Perhaps it evened out, but who can say what a fair price is, when restarting?

I agree with your statement about Publix, however when the price for the first person is the same as the second person is not really the case. First person price should be 60% higher than the second, not averaged so they are the same.

2 hours ago, Mapu said:

I agree with your statement about Publix, however when the price for the first person is the same as the second person is not really the case. First person price should be 60% higher than the second, not averaged so they are the same.

That's because everybody trained in the 'new[-new-new] math' is incapable of calculating 60%.  The hope is that they can figure times 2 [although I have my doubts about that, since their never had to learned 'times tables'].  I can tell you that on my Azamara cruise, which was booked at the previous 30% off [both fares] sale, the new one is not confusing at all.  The actual price is almost the same [1 @ 100% + 1 @ 40% = 2 @ 70%; and the website price is basically right except for some small rounding error].  No fraud.  Just a different promotion.  

1 hour ago, KevintheIrishDJ said:

I am confused.  Are the port taxes included?

No, Azamara lists them separately on the website and on your invoice – and no discount.