Balcony vs. Club Balcony Suite....is it worth the difference?

debbeck

We are planning a trip to Alaska in 2022.   We love the balcony experience but noticed there is a Club Balcony on the Jewel.    Does anyone have any experience with this category that they would share?   Any other perks other than the extra room?   Just 2 of us on this trip.   

club balcony suites were originally called mini-suites. they are a little larger, and now come with a few (but not many) extra goodies. out 1st ncl cruise was on the pearl, we had a mini and my sister-in-law and her husband had a regular balcony. our next cruise they opted for the mini. if its just the 2 of you and you dont need the extra space by all means book the balcony.  personally, i'd go for the club.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It sounds like you already know that the “club balcony suites” are not suites and do not have suite amenities and perks.  Do keep in mind that they are located on Deck 11 and thus under the noisy and potentially noisy public spaces of Deck 12 (like the pool and the buffet).  Personally, we prefer cabins above and below us; YMMV.  If you go with the CBS, choose your location wisely, paying attention to what is above you. 

Also know that the bathroom in the club balconies has a tub/shower combo. The tub is quite narrow (okay for kids) and the tub wall is quite high, so climbing in and out to shower can be a challenge for short people and folks with knee or mobility issues, especially when the ship is feeling the motion of the ocean. 

On the Jewel-class ships, we like the balconies on Deck 10. 

Enjoy whatever you decide!

• Thanks 1

I have sailed in an Aft Mini-Suite (now a club Balcony Suite) on the Jewel back in 2010. Loved the aft balcony. The rear open decks were above us, but only heard a little noise when out on balcony during a sea day. My Mini-Suite did NOT have a tub, shower only.

Really liked the Jewel as a ship. Sailed a second time in an Aft Penthouse. Would sail her again with the right itinerary.

285 sq.ft. in a club balcony vs. 205 sq.ft. in a regular balcony. The biggest bonus, to us, is the size of the balcony itself. 54 sq.ft. compared to 38 sq. ft. The extra 16 sq. ft. makes a world of difference!Getting in and out of the tub/shower, as stated previously, could present a challenge for anyone with mobility issues. When it was a mini-suite, the price difference was acceptable; now that they have changed it to a club balcony I'm sure NCL has found a way to raise the price!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 4/4/2021 at 6:54 PM, debbeck said:

We are planning a trip to Alaska in 2022.   We love the balcony experience but noticed there is a Club Balcony on the Jewel.    Does anyone have any experience with this category that they would share?   Any other perks other than the extra room?   Just 2 of us on this trip.   

The room is a lot bigger on the Jewel. We normally pick the mini-suite/club-suite for the bigger bathroom. As we get older and have a bit more problems moving around, the extra space in the shower/bath is greatly appreciated. 

• 1 year later...
On 4/4/2021 at 9:22 PM, zerooveride said:

I have sailed in an Aft Mini-Suite (now a club Balcony Suite) on the Jewel back in 2010. Loved the aft balcony. The rear open decks were above us, but only heard a little noise when out on balcony during a sea day. My Mini-Suite did NOT have a tub, shower only.

Really liked the Jewel as a ship. Sailed a second time in an Aft Penthouse. Would sail her again with the right itinerary.

Glad to hear that, we just booked an aft facing cabin on deck 11 for November Asian cruise. Was a little worried about the noise, but as long as it’s not when I’m sleeping, I’m fine with it.