Frank Del Rio Letter to CDC: Requests US Restart on July 4th

mmcguir

A fairly thorough letter from NCL to CDC outlining plans to re-start July 4th, starting at 60% capacity and increasing by 20% in 30-day increments. A good opening offer.  Proof of full vaccination required 2 weeks prior to sailing.  Fingers crossed.  Doesn’t mention how excursions into other countries will be handled.  

• Like 1

The letter doesn’t address a few things, like the 12 hour rule over gangways and terminals or test cruises, but I like the hard, quick return volley to the CDC to make them say yea or nay. Until,now, the cruise lines have been forced to contend with very vague edicts. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jimmcdaniel said:

So, is this proposed July 4 cruise going out of Alaska or is it something totally new?

Five NCL ships have had their schedules cancelled through October; these will be the initial ships.  I believe the initial sailing will be from Miami and Port Canaveral.

If they change the schedules (not keeping what is listed now) how would Regent or any cruise line rebook people by July 4th.  Most cruises can't change other bookings they have (air, hotel, etc), or want limited cruising.  It would be hard for all.

10 minutes ago, ronrick1943 said:

If they change the schedules (not keeping what is listed now) how would Regent or any cruise line rebook people by July 4th.  Most cruises can't change other bookings they have (air, hotel, etc), or want limited cruising.  It would be hard for all.

Actually very easy; just a few cruise ships leaving from Florida; no air required.  I agree with Picard, no Regent ships in near future except maybe in Greece.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrlevin said:

Five NCL ships have had their schedules cancelled through October; these will be the initial ships.  I believe the initial sailing will be from Miami and Port Canaveral.

So, currently nothing in writing about a Regent re-start?

Thanks to all for sharing information!

• Like 1

I think the CDC reply could be quite easy:

You have promised us that all pax will provide proof of vaccination.  Unfortunately you can't deliver on that promise while the Governor's executive order is in effect.

• Haha 1

Regardless of a particular Governor's "Executive Order" on the matter--one way or the other-- 

This may be anecdotal rather than dispositive, but:  Spouse and I have now been fully vaccinated.  In addition to that little White card (not Yellow as to documentation of Yellow Fever shot received required prior to our 2018 Navigator Amazon River experience--and stapled onto our Passports),  have received documentation in the form of Medicare Summary Notices for Part B (Medical Insurance).  These show specific Immunization(s) administered--in my case via Costo Corp.--on specific dates.  Expect, in due time, to get further confirmation and similar documentation from Tricare.  

Such is now in our travel folio for (hopefully) being at Barcelona on October 29th for (hopefully) boarding Mariner on October 31st for transit to Miami.  

GOARMY!

37 minutes ago, crickette said:

I think the CDC reply could be quite easy:

You have promised us that all pax will provide proof of vaccination.  Unfortunately you can't deliver on that promise while the Governor's executive order is in effect.

Does the Governor of  Florida’s order apply to cruise ships flagged in foreign countries? Seems to me DeSantis would not object to the vaccination requirement if that led to cruise restarts.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, marienbad said:

Does the Governor of  Florida’s order apply to cruise ships flagged in foreign countries? Seems to me DeSantis would not object to the vaccination requirement if that led to cruise restarts.

I meant to add the order's wording as I have read it.  According to CNN:

The order prohibits any government entity from issuing vaccine passports and blocks businesses from requiring any such documentation.

As NCLH is a Florida business, it thus cannot require any such documentation.

But I would like to agree with you that the Governor's order may shoot himself in the foot with respect to cruises restarting and the benefits to the state's economy.

24 minutes ago, crickette said:

The order prohibits any government entity from issuing vaccine passports and blocks businesses from requiring any such documentation.

But I would like to agree with you that the Governor's order may shoot himself in the foot with respect to cruises restarting and the benefits to the state's economy.

No requirement for vaccine passport; just proof of vaccine.  Governor's order does not pertain.

• Like 4

The Florida governors comments about a vaccine passport will have no bearing on what happens at the cruise level, out of Florida. Customs and Border Protect could require a vaccine passport through a directive from the CDC, when boarding the ship.  From my understanding, CBP must clear each cruise that leaves port from the US.   So the back and forth regarding the Florida Governors comments are mute.  

Also while NCLH is headquartered in Florida, it is incorporated in Bermuda.   The CDC hasn't made resumption of cruising a high priority, as the majority of major cruise lines aren't headquartered in the US. Unlike major airline and hotel chains.   Major cruise lines have been doing their best to avoid paying US taxes for decades, which is why in times like this, things are taking longer than we'd all like with resuming sailings.   Think we need to point our frustration more at the cruise lines themselves, rather than the CDC in this case.        

• Like 3

Snore 42 - thanks for your well-written, thoughtful and informative response.  Much appreciated.

While I may not agree with you that NCLH would not be deemed a business in Florida (business license, mailing address on all communications), their status with respect to tax laws is unarguably valid.

1 hour ago, crickette said:

Is a vacuum passport the same thing as what a cruise line will require as proof of vaccination. The CDC card may be all the cruise line will require. I hope so.

I believe there is a very clear distinction between a government issued vaccine passport and a proof of vaccination. 

I agree with the cruise line's requirement that all passengers and crew be vaccinated.  Besides my double vaccination shots are in a database and miraculously showed up on my two doctor's patient portals without me telling them I received the vaccination. 

So how hard would it be for the government to allow cruise lines access to the database to verify someone is vaccinated?  If the government paid for the vaccine, you're in the database.  Others not in the database should be able to show their vaccination card.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

58 minutes ago, ChucktownSteve said:

So how hard would it be for the government to allow cruise lines access to the database to verify someone is vaccinated?  

HIPPA regulations make it illegal to release medical info without Authorization.

8 minutes ago, PhD-iva said:

HIPPA regulations make it illegal to release medical info without Authorization.

So you wouldn't authorize release of the vaccination information?  I don't remember authorizing sharing the covid vaccination with others but I may have just to be able to sign up for it.  Regardless, I don't mind sharing the authorization specifically on that.

My patient portals regularly go out to seek insurance/government paid health information then downloads it into my medical records they maintain on my treatment.  They also get my flu shots at the pharmacy.

Just now, ChucktownSteve said:

My patient portals regularly go out to seek insurance/government paid health information then downloads it into my medical records they maintain on my treatment.  They also get my flu shots at the pharmacy.

This is from a routine/boilerplate authorization new patients/returning patients sign before seeing their health care professional. 
Each patient must fill out the forms and submit them to the medical providers, in order for medical information to be shared w a 3rd party. HIPPA regs are quite strict.

6 minutes ago, PhD-iva said:

This is from a routine/boilerplate authorization new patients/returning patients sign before seeing their health care professional. 
Each patient must fill out the forms and submit them to the medical providers, in order for medical information to be shared w a 3rd party. HIPPA regs are quite strict.

True but authorizing the health care professional (doctor) to share is not the same thing as them receiving the info from outside sources.  Insurance companies all share medical information without your authorization.  That's why some people get coverage rejection based upon history.

But the bottom line is it's in the U.S. government data base and whether you authorize it or not, they ARE sharing your information amongst themselves. So why not allow sharing Covid Vaccination authorization with the cruise line?

I may be obtuse but what exactly is FdR expecting to achieve by sending an open letter to the CDC effectively issuing a unilateral ultimatum that NCLH intends to start sailing from U.S. ports in July whatever.

Does he expect CDC to simply back down from their intransigent position? Does he hope that the letter will open up constructive dialogue between NCLH and CDC?

Is there not the danger that individuals in the CDC will be further antagonised; see the letter as a challenge to their authority; and simply dig their heels in?

Also I wonder why NCLH decided to go it alone with the letter rather than joining forces with the other cruise lines through CLIA?