Ft Lauderdale Hotel Recommendations Please

Truluv

So many Cruise Critic people are experienced travelers, that I'm hoping to get some recommendations for a great hotel in the Fort Lauderdale area.  It isn't for a cruise this time... one of my kids is getting married on the beach there in a few months.  I'd like to find a very comfortable hotel with some luxury this time (I don't know when or how it happened, but I'm approaching 70 LOL).  A free breakfast isn't a necessity, but is always nice.   I'd love to have a nice pool area.  Please let me know if you have any suggestions!  In the past, I had stayed in Hampton Inns when cruising out of Fort Lauderdale.

I'm going to take a few days to drive South to FL, and plan on being there a few days before the wedding.  Nearby towns are probably ok too, as long as it's not too complicated to get into Fort Lauderdale for wedding festivities.  Thanks for your help!

Congratulations!

A few questions:

• Do you have a budget (and don't forget to include parking since it sounds like you will have your car with you)?
  • When are the festivities (prices vary greatly between high and low seasons)?
  • Do you prefer a hotel on/near the beach or in town? 
  • Do you belong to any hotel loyalty programs that should be under consideration?

11 hours ago, Truluv said:

So many Cruise Critic people are experienced travelers, that I'm hoping to get some recommendations for a great hotel in the Fort Lauderdale area.  It isn't for a cruise this time... one of my kids is getting married on the beach there in a few months.  I'd like to find a very comfortable hotel with some luxury this time (I don't know when or how it happened, but I'm approaching 70 LOL).  A free breakfast isn't a necessity, but is always nice.   I'd love to have a nice pool area.  Please let me know if you have any suggestions!  In the past, I had stayed in Hampton Inns when cruising out of Fort Lauderdale.

I'm going to take a few days to drive South to FL, and plan on being there a few days before the wedding.  Nearby towns are probably ok too, as long as it's not too complicated to get into Fort Lauderdale for wedding festivities.  Thanks for your help!

For my part, my Lady likes a little luxury, so there are two favourites 

The Pillars

W

For a lower price point, being excellent value for money, in the heart of everything

The Riverside

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Truluv said:

I'd like to find a very comfortable hotel with some luxury this time (I don't know when or how it happened, but I'm approaching 70 LOL).  A free breakfast isn't a necessity, but is always nice.   I'd love to have a nice pool area. 

Marriott Harbor Beach will provide some luxury, a nice beach, and a good pool area.  Parking is not free, however.

If not being on the beach is satisfactory, there are several hotels off the Cypress Creek Road exit of I-95 and would be a 20-30 minute drive to the port area; less of a time driving East to the beach.  I have stayed at the Westin,  the Courtyard, and Marriott Fort Lauderdale North.  The Marriott is my favorite of the three and it has a very nice 4th floor Pool Deck.  Not as "luxurious" as some hotels, but the hotel has an attached parking garage and the parking is free.  With a car, there are ample restaurants a short drive away so that one does not have to depend upon the hotel's restaurant.  

Edited by rkacruiser
  • Like 1

On 4/5/2021 at 11:49 PM, capriccio said:

Congratulations!

A few questions:

• Do you have a budget (and don't forget to include parking since it sounds like you will have your car with you)?
  • When are the festivities (prices vary greatly between high and low seasons)?
  • Do you prefer a hotel on/near the beach or in town? 
  • Do you belong to any hotel loyalty programs that should be under consideration?

Thanks!  It will be at beginning of November.  I don't really care about location, as long as it is very comfortable and has a great pool area where I can plant myself and read for a day if I arrive early.  I figure that I'll go down about 3 days before the wedding, and give myself a "vacation day" to recover from the long drive to start off.  I guess my budget is about $300/less (including wifi, parking and breakfast LOL) but I could go higher if the hotel is perfect.  I have hotel loyalty programs with Hilton and Marriott, along with AARP and AAA.   Sigh.  (I had my kids in my late 30s-40s, and my son's bride's parents had their kids in late teens/early 20s.  I bet  someone mistakes me for my  kids' Grandma before the festivities end, not the Mom LOL.)

57 minutes ago, Truluv said:

Thanks!  It will be at beginning of November.  I don't really care about location, as long as it is very comfortable and has a great pool area where I can plant myself and read for a day if I arrive early.  I figure that I'll go down about 3 days before the wedding, and give myself a "vacation day" to recover from the long drive to start off.  I guess my budget is about $300/less (including wifi, parking and breakfast LOL) but I could go higher if the hotel is perfect.  I have hotel loyalty programs with Hilton and Marriott, along with AARP and AAA.   Sigh.  (I had my kids in my late 30s-40s, and my son's bride's parents had their kids in late teens/early 20s.  I bet  someone mistakes me for my  kids' Grandma before the festivities end, not the Mom LOL.)

Take a look at this article from US News and World Report:  Best Pool Hotels in Fort Lauderdale (https://travel.usnews.com/hotels/pools-Fort_Lauderdale_FL/).  It lists hotels by category and has a search engine where you can enter your budget in addition to dates.  Do look out for mandatory resort fees in some hotels (noted in the article) and for parking fees you may need to check each hotel's website.  Personally I would start my search with Lago Mar. It is in a great location, and has free WiFi and free parking according to the article!

Marriott Harbor Beach has the biggest pool, although the restaurant and bar are closed inside at this time. The pool bar is available.

The Ritz Carlton is amazing, but some services are suspended.

The Westin is a very nice property.

2 hours ago, mariner said:

the restaurant and bar

3030 is closed?  I did not know that.  There was another restaurant in an annex building; don't recall its name.  Is it open?  I think it was adjacent to the pool bar.  

5 hours ago, mariner said:

3030 is presently closed. Broward not as open as some of the other counties in Florida.

Thanks for answering my question.  I enjoy 3030.  I have friends who live in Hollywood and that was the impression that I have gotten from them.  

We  love the Sonesta on Fort Lauderdale Beach.  All rooms are ocean view and service is wonderful, as is food.  Lovely pool area.  www.sonesta.com/us/florida/fort-lauderdale/sonesta-fort-lauderdale-beach/our-hotel.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

The beginning of November is the Boat Show...I think. Huge crowds. Hotels very expensive. You might want to do a Google search to confirm your dates versus the Boat Show, and if it is even happening.

This year the boat show is the last week in October (27th to 31st).

• Thanks 1