mobility scooter in Balcony Cabin

trtog7

My husband and I are planning a cruise for May 2022. We were unable to get a Accessible Cabin and he will have a scooter to get around. It is a breakdown scooter not a folding one.

We will be cruising on Azamara Journey. I do not think we will have trouble getting it through the door even if we have to take it apart to get it in.

Anyone have any idea if it will be OK in the cabin?

Sometimes the problem is not getting it through the door, but turning it in the narrow hallway in order to position it to go through the door.  I would ask on the Azamara board here about the arrangement of the cabin.  For instance, the bed in a balcony cabin is by the bath, sitting area by the balcony, so the plugs for charging will likely be at the vanity on the far side of the bed.  Can you get the scooter past the end of the bed?  Have you used a regular balcony on any other ship when taking the scooter?  EM

17 hours ago, trtog7 said:

My husband and I are planning a cruise for May 2022. We were unable to get a Accessible Cabin and he will have a scooter to get around. It is a breakdown scooter not a folding one.

We will be cruising on Azamara Journey. I do not think we will have trouble getting it through the door even if we have to take it apart to get it in.

Ask the cruise line if there is a "waitlist" for the accessible cabins.   Also closer to final payment lots of people cancel and you might get an accessible cabin at that time.   You need to keep checking or have your booking agent check for you.   It could be really tight to get the scooter in the cabin and have it there to charge it etc.   You can't leave them in hallways at all.   Good luck and hope you get an accessible cabin.

On 4/5/2021 at 11:50 PM, trtog7 said:

It's like having kids.  You learn that stepping on little toys is a part of it.  Same with your scooter.  Dealing with a scooter on a ship can be a pain.....and maybe a stubbed toe.  However, that's not important.  What is important is that you are still able to travel.  With that being said, I brought a scooter and fit it in the Empress of the Seas.....and those are the tiniest cabins ever.  So as long as you know you might have to break it down and that it will be a tight fit to have it.....you will be fine on any ship.  Have fun!

• Like 1