NCL from Seward in late May 2022

magicsoccer

3 hours ago, magicsoccer said:

I have been reading posts and think that we will fly into Anchorage and maybe take the train to Seward.  Are there places to stay near the cruise port in Seward if we took the train in the day before the cruise?  

Others have given you information on hotels/motels, I just wanted to put my 2 cents in on the train ride.  We took the train from Anchorage to Seward during the month of May -- there was snow on the ground and the ride was beautiful.

• Like 1

I think coming in a day early is a great idea. But keep in mind the regularly scheduled Alaska Railroad Coastal Classic train to Seward departs Anchorage at 6:45am. So you'd probably have to fly in the evening before that and overnight in Anchorage to catch the train's early morning departure. https://www.alaskarailroad.com/ride-a-train/schedules

Seward is where Alaskans go for recreation.  While tourism is important to Seward's economy, the town certainly is not dependent on tourism and doesn't have the touristy feeling of the cruise ports in SE Alaska.  

The major attractions include the Kenai Fjords National Park, which includes the Harding Icefield and Exit Glacier.  Additionally there are boat excursions into fjords where there is abundant marine wildlife.  The SeaLife Center is also located in  Seward.  Folks can easily spend a day or two in Seward.

Our favorite fjords boat excursion vendor is Major Marine.  Major Marine purchased a hotel in Seward and now operate it has the Harbor 360.  We had stayed in the facility when it was branded as a Holiday Inn and have also stayed there since it has become the Harbor 360.  It actually is our preferred hotel in Seward.  Since Major Marine purchased the building they have at times offered package deals including  day excursion and hotel stay.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Northern Aurora said:

Seward is where Alaskans go for recreation.  While tourism is important to Seward's economy, the town certainly is not dependent on tourism and doesn't have the touristy feeling of the cruise ports in SE Alaska.  

The major attractions include the Kenai Fjords National Park, which includes the Harding Icefield and Exit Glacier.  Additionally there are boat excursions into fjords where there is abundant marine wildlife.  The SeaLife Center is also located in  Seward.  Folks can easily spend a day or two in Seward.

Our favorite fjords boat excursion vendor is Major Marine.  Major Marine purchased a hotel in Seward and now operate it has the Harbor 360.  We had stayed in the facility when it was branded as a Holiday Inn and have also stayed there since it has become the Harbor 360.  It actually is our preferred hotel in Seward.  Since Major Marine purchased the building they have at times offered package deals including  day excursion and hotel stay.

We have gone to Seward a couple of times for a few days pre-cruise.  We had stayed at the Holiday Inn as well.  How is the Harbor 360? 

3 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

We have gone to Seward a couple of times for a few days pre-cruise.  We had stayed at the Holiday Inn as well.  How is the Harbor 360? 

The rooms look to me to be the same as when the facility was branded a Holiday Inn.  

The breakfast area as been changed, and in my opinion, improved with some bench seating along some outer walls; the bench seating allows a more flexible arrangement for groups.  It also seems to me that the breakfast buffet had more hot items since it has become Harbor 360.  Breakfast was still included in the room rate.  We didn't drive down to Seward this past summer so I have no idea what management has done with their breakfast buffet given Covid-19 restrictions.

When you enter the front door the hotel check-in area is still in the same location.  But a break-out room which had been located to the right has been modified into the Major Marine excursion check-in area.  A wall has been removed so the excursion check-in counter is quite large.  Since Major Marine wants folks to check-in an hour before the excursion departure it was so handy to finish breakfast, grab a cup of coffee to go, check-in for our day trip and then go to our room to prepare for the day excursion.

Since becoming the Harbor 360 the indoor pool has also been worked on and upgraded.

I am trying to remember if the Holiday Inn offered shuttle since when we stayed there we had driven one of our vehicles to Seward.  But the Harbor 360 offers shuttle service.

• Like 1

Northern Aurora, thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it.  Sounds like some things have changed over time.  We enjoyed our stays when it was HI -- the only thing that was lacking was efficiency of housekeeping -- our beds somehow never got made even with us being out of the room early.  We took it in stride and didn't let it spoil our visit.  As for shuttle service, we can't remember either.  I know on one trip, DH dropped me off at the cruise terminal and returned the rental car.  On two other occasions when we did not have a car, we just walked with our luggage to the terminal.  Thanks again for the update.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Italy52 said:

Others have given you information on hotels/motels, I just wanted to put my 2 cents in on the train ride.  We took the train from Anchorage to Seward during the month of May -- there was snow on the ground and the ride was beautiful.

I completely agree with this. I was there in May also.

• Like 1