Ovation sailing from Athens this summer

wesport

10 hours ago, SLSD said:

I think you are misunderstanding our comments.  I am saying two things:  that I don't like to be put in the situation of an in person/onboard conversation (that in some cases is difficult to immediately escape) that centers on dollars spent or not spent on a cruise in a bragging and boastful kind of way.  I find it awkward.  Second, if there are empty berths, why doesn't SB offer the great prices to their loyal customers.  Just my point of view--and not a snobby one.  

One more comment--there are appropriate ways to talk about good cruising deals.  It's all in the tone and motive of having the conversation.  We have discussed discount travel with other guests who have tried to be helpful and share information. There is a difference.  

There is an ugly truth we learned from a lady friend who was a high volume cruise/travel agent for nearly 50 years.  Most cruise lines are not too concerned about loyal customers because they already have their loyalty.  They target more marketing towards attracting new customers and those that have only taken a few cruises.   One major cruise line we know quite well (we have spent more then a year of cruise time on that line) is much more likely to give a free or low cost upsell to a newbie then a long time customer.   The fact that we are in their highest frequent cruiser category actually works against us in terms of getting a decent upgrade or lower cost upsell.

But then you get a few lost souls like DW and myself that have no loyalty to any cruise line (we have been on 16 cruise lines with a 17th booked).   We love variety in our cruising and travel.  While we do have high frequent cruising status in many lines, it is only because we have been cruising for a very long time (over forty years) and will sometimes cruise over 100 days a year.  

I do agree with you that talking about pricing and how to best book cruises does take some degree of caution when on a cruise.  On the other hand, we have picked up lots of good information on pricing and cruise agents in conversations with other cruisers.  When I meet another cruiser that gets better deals (and service) then me, I want to know how and who.   When we meet other cruisers that quickly make it obvious that they have no interest in saving money or finding a good deal we just smile and talk about sports or travel :).  One big hint is when folks tell us they book directly with any cruise line which is "code" that they could care less about getting a good deal.

Hank

23 hours ago, Hlitner said:

There is an ugly truth we learned from a lady friend who was a high volume cruise/travel agent for nearly 50 years.  Most cruise lines are not too concerned about loyal customers because they already have their loyalty.  They target more marketing towards attracting new customers and those that have only taken a few cruises.   One major cruise line we know quite well (we have spent more then a year of cruise time on that line) is much more likely to give a free or low cost upsell to a newbie then a long time customer.   The fact that we are in their highest frequent cruiser category actually works against us in terms of getting a decent upgrade or lower cost upsell.

I do agree with you that talking about pricing and how to best book cruises does take some degree of caution when on a cruise.  On the other hand, we have picked up lots of good information on pricing and cruise agents in conversations with other cruisers.  When I meet another cruiser that gets better deals (and service) then me, I want to know how and who.   

Hank

I agree with you on these points Hank.  I have no doubt that acquiring new to SB guests is important to them--and there is nothing like going on a SB cruise to inspire the desire to go on another one.  And yes, talking about pricing can be done--but starting out bragging and boasting (and asking what the other person paid) is not the way to go.  

All that being said, we are not averse to signing up for a cruise with a discounter--if the right situation presents itself.  The bad memory is being cornered in a conversation about price while enjoying a SB cruise.  

5 hours ago, SLSD said:

I agree with you on these points Hank.  I have no doubt that acquiring new to SB guests is important to them--and there is nothing like going on a SB cruise to inspire the desire to go on another one.  And yes, talking about pricing can be done--but starting out bragging and boasting (and asking what the other person paid) is not the way to go.  

All that being said, we are not averse to signing up for a cruise with a discounter--if the right situation presents itself.  The bad memory is being cornered in a conversation about price while enjoying a SB cruise.  

Completely agree.  One hopes that most folks who book SB know how to socialize without being a real pain.   We have only done one SB cruise (another is upcoming) and the experience was terrific led by wonderful fellow cruisers and a fantastic crew.  I expect nothing less in the future :).

Hank

Just (sadly) out of curiosity I looked up these Athens 14 day  cruises - which appear to be b to b, and look lovely,  as I had had two Agent's offers sent.  I would simply say to UK people that there was a large discrepancy in the prices for the identical cruise, and it is well worth shopping around.

I have never on many Seabourn cruises met up with passengers who were boasting about their cheap deals, although some have asked who we used as a TA, and were they good.  The worst offenders I have come across were years ago on Cunard, from the UK, who went around asking everyone what they had paid!  I learned to say that I could not exactly remember, and then avoided having to speak to them.

Do hope they go ahead without too many restrictions about distancing and SB only excursions etc.

I once met a very wise woman on another line (Azamara) who said that if one conducted a survey of passengers regarding how much they paid for the cruise, one would find that each one had a somewhat different fare.  And revealing this information would cause some PAX to have the best cruise of their lives, while others would have the worst.  So the best strategy was to avoid the subject altogether.  Wise advice.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, lincslady said:

Do hope they go ahead without too many restrictions about distancing and SB only excursions etc.

Last week my husband and I both received an email for an online survey from Seabourn.  We completed the survey, which was all about what it would take us to go back on Seabourn:  requirements on vaccination, testing, social distancing and other safety protocols on board, traveling with or presence of children under 16, etc.

Did others receive the same survey?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sfvoyage said:

Last week my husband and I both received an email for an online survey from Seabourn.  We completed the survey, which was all about what it would take us to go back on Seabourn:  requirements on vaccination, testing, social distancing and other safety protocols on board, traveling with or presence of children under 16, etc.

Yes, received it a few days ago and I believe it was the second one we had received with the previous one being some months agl

3 hours ago, sfvoyage said:

We received the survey as well and answered the questions and submitted it.  

Another email from the discount travel agency today.  They report that they sold all 100 suites on a 14 day Seabourn Greek Island cruise for late July that they offered a few days ago  and that Sebourn has "given them" 100 more suites to sell on the next  14  day Greek Island cruise.  

I received the same e-mail and as I recall it talked about having 100 "spots" which I took to mean 50 cabins.  Given that the Ovation cruises are among the first to sail after the long pause in cruising and that many people are waiting to see how they go and what restrictions may be in place in terms of shore excursions, I think it's understandable that Seabourn has cabins available.  I think it's good business to try to fill them even if  it's at a discounted price. I've never used the agent in question but signed up for his e-mails because I was curious about his offers.

I assume that you are in the USA?  Someone on this board might be able to help you identify this UK Agent, but CC rules do not allow members to mention anyone by name.

I believe the legal financial rules about cancellation etc. are also more favourable if booking in the USA, again a fellow citizen would be able to inform you.