Carnival to start outside of US ports

3 minutes ago, pc_load_letter said:

You want to shuttle 1000 people from San Diego to Ensenada? 

Actually I did that on celebrity, so it's been done to have a foreign port to leave from. Flew to some port where they put us on busses. Our bus driver blasted our ear drums with mexican until finally someone who spoke spanish got him to turn it down. Not good memories. But it's been done.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, kdr69 said:

Great! and uh when would that be? If you continue to believe that the CDC is working towards a restart prior to COVID being a non threat anymore your only kidding yourself.  I agree with the one article I read that the "Conditional Sail Order" is essentially a "NO SAIL ORDER" dressed up in wrapping paper to look nice.  Cruising has been paused for well over a year based on useless out of date data while the Airlines that continue to bring us variants from other countries are allowed to carry on like nothings changed.

Carnival can't currently sail from the US anyway. It's more than the CDC. Canada banning cruise ships doesn't help, either.

Here's a link to an article on Bloomberg from this afternoon. Apparently the CDC made a statement after Carnival threatened to sail out of non-U.S. ports.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-04-06/carnival-threatens-to-move-ships-abroad-amid-cdc-obstacles

“CDC is committed to working with the cruise industry and seaport partners to resume cruising following the phased approach outlined in the conditional sailing order,” CDC spokeswoman Jade Fulce said in a response to questions about Carnival. “This goal aligns with the desire to resume passenger operations in the United States expressed by many major cruise ship operators and travelers; hopefully, by mid-summer with restricted revenue sailings.”

The airport in Cabo San Lucas is many miles from the cruise ship.

If the weather is not cooperating, tenders cannot ferry from the dock to the ship and vice versa.

More likely, Puerto Vallarta.....where the airport is close and hotels are plentiful.

David

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I wonder exactly what restricted revenue means. Occupancy or $1 cruises? How does cdc define reduced revenue? 

It means they're simulated cruises and not revenue cruises.

I can’t help but think about the difficulty in provisioning the ship for some of these cruises.  I would love to cruise from anywhere but going to wait till they come back to the US. In the meantime I say “Atta boy!” to the cruise lines for doing it. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, john91498 said:

It means they're simulated cruises and not revenue cruises.

Sounds to me like same ole ... file, mock cruises, inspections. 

"CDC is committed to working with the cruise industry and seaport partners to resume cruising following the phased approach outlined in the conditional sailing order,”

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Sounds to me like same ole ... file, mock cruises, inspections. 

"CDC is committed to working with the cruise industry and seaport partners to resume cruising following the phased approach outlined in the conditional sailing order,”

The only difference I see is that the previous CDC quotes typically make reference to the CSO expiring Oct 31, but now they're inserting July into the discussion. Which makes me wonder if pressure is starting to make a dent...

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, SRQbeachgirl said:

The only difference I see is that the previous CDC quotes typically make reference to the CSO expiring Oct 31, but now they're inserting July into the discussion. Which makes me wonder if pressure is starting to make a dent...

I read mock cruises, starting this summer. I'm booked sept 11th. Cutting it close lol. Still almost impossible to get thru before the cso lifts. Cdc hasnt moved one whit.

Just now, firefly333 said:

I read mock cruises, starting this summer. I'm booked sept 11th. Cutting it close lol. Still almost impossible to get thru before the cso lifts. Cdc hasnt moved one whit.

Agreed. My expectation of our Thanksgiving cruise sailing out of Baltimore has plummeted to about 20/80 right now. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, logan25 said:

oh, if only it were that easy

Nothing is easy with the USA government. Europe and China have been sailing for months. Sure they had a few cases but they were handled without panic. I am beginnig to think someone is munipulating the CDC in order to buy some cheap ships after the cruise lines go under. 

Edited by Purvis1231
typo
  • Like 2

Not a chance we cruise in 2021, there's always gonna  be the "Variant" issue....ok you got he covid shot, now you need the VARIANT shot...yadda upon yadda....Cruisers only hope is to push Carnival to sail from Non US ports, else we're gonna be in this  crazy gridlock ad infintum.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, ninjacat123 said:

If Carnival decides to sail from non-US ports, I hope they could offer reasonable flights to these ports.

Not happening because if anything the airlines will see an opportunity to spike airline fees. If you were already flying to a US port, then your flight just got more expensive. If you were driving, then your total vacation expense likely will surge in cost. 

1 hour ago, dave_k58 said:

Cozumel would definitely be my first choice.  It has one of the biggest ports and also great air service. 

Great air service to Texas, where you're from maybe.  Zero non stops from JFK, Newark or Philly.  Calica, where Carnival has cruised from in the past would be a better 1 ship choice since you can get non stop flights to Cancun from more areas of the country than Cozumel.  Celica is also on mainland Mexico, whereas Cozumel is an island.

It's all lip service anyway from Carnival.  If the threat moves the needle an inch, then maybe things will be back before November 1 when the CSO expires.

Edited by SNJCruisers
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, pc_load_letter said:

You want to shuttle 1000 people from San Diego to Ensenada? lol

Carnival used to do that routinely.  Back in 2007 or 2008, I cruised to Hawaii on the Carnival Spirit.  We checked in at the SD terminal and our bags were put on the ship.  Passenger were loaded on buses and we met the ship in Ensenada.

• Like 1