CDC Open to USA cruise return this Summer

cruiserking

13 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

But it could have come

How it could have come and how it did are two different things. 

Birds and bats can fly. Fish swim. The virus is not limited to humans.

Really? I suppose the fish is valid but that is some mighty big stretching. Gophers could have burrowed their way here from China too i guess. Lets not be too hasty to blame Air Travel is that what your defense is?🙄

• Like 7

14 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

My response was comparing flying and cruising, not how the virus spread over a year ago.

Ok but your comparison was on how one was needed and one wasnt and my point was the one that you said was needed was the primary cause of spread.  If the entire World economy could be shut down over the virus im not convinced a couple of trips by business people would carry the day.

It is bidirectional. You also export it by air.

Not if Air Travel is shut down Internationally which is what i said.  Theres too much "oh well we cant do that because" when it comes to the response to this virus.  China did not have that issue now did it.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

I believe the poster was referring to cruise lines in general.

I figured since this is Carnival community we were referring to Carnival ports.  What lines cruise out of NJ, and what's the port?  I'm always looking for another port I can drive to if the destinations are good.  Thanks.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

I figured since this is Carnival community we were referring to Carnival ports.  What lines cruise out of NJ, and what's the port?  I'm always looking for another port I can drive to if the destinations are good.  Thanks.

Cape Liberty and Bayonne ports. 

11 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Airlines carry up to hundreds of people, not thousands. Flights last at most hours, not days. You might be in close proximity to a few passengers, not hundreds or thousands. Air in the metal tube is changed multiple times each flight, flushing anything airborne out.

Very reassuring to cruise line passengers to know that they will die if there is an outbreak on the ship, as no hospital will accept them. That must mean no port will accept the ship either,

I'm glad the CDC is looking out for public health because nobody else is.

Actually international flights which is what should be compared here to cruising last up 16 hours but that said I think flying in an airplane is actually quite safe. The military did a study in fact finding it so (please no conspiracy theory inserts here-lol) However, the poster you responded to was questioning jetways versus gangways and that is a valid argument. Jetways have the compacity and ability to handle far more people than your standard gangway does and that's day after day after day with far less than twelve hours down time even when airports are more dormant in the middle of the night. So in a question of fairness toward industries which is what should be considered the CDC has definitely allowed far more leeway to the air industry. When I flew through both Houston and Orlando the terminals as well had ZERO social distancing enforced and in fact the waiting area were as jam packed as always with people, some wearing mask some not and additionally in the food court there was no social distancing either where people were definitely not wearing masks. Now, I'll not debate that COVID is a dangerous disease, because it is but I do think there needs to be a logical cold eye applied to the CDC's decision making in this instance and the simple question asked "Why not just mandate fully vaccinated passengers above the age of 12 and fully vaccinated crew?" That does solve the issue.  

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

It is the Royal Caribbean branded ships like Royal and Celebrity that sail out of Cape Liberty in Bayonne

13 hours ago, bafinegan said:

Not really.  Florida, Texas, Alabama, and Louisiana ( to name a few)  are eager to open their ports for cruising.

I think the big problem is that CDC will most likely they will require vaccinations to board.  Some of the cruise lines will internally need to do to that to port in certain countries so that makes sense to make this requirement.  But some of the states have or most likely will have law or executive orders forbidding any kind of restrictions based on vaccinations.  I can see right now some suite passenger wanting to board who doesn't think they should require a vaccination by state law and gets denied boarding.  So I think that will probably be litigated in court for certain states depending on how far it goes it might take months and months.  

8 minutes ago, Jasonsterling said:

When I flew through both Houston and Orlando the terminals as well had ZERO social distancing enforced and in fact the waiting area were as jam packed as always with people, some wearing mask some not and additionally in the food court there was no social distancing either where people were definitely not wearing masks. 

I saw the same thing several months ago when I flew out of both Washington-Dulles and Reagan airports, which are in a solidly "deep blue" area so it can't be blamed on "Oh, well it's Texas and Florida..." Heck, you could practically throw a rock from Reagan and hit the CDC offices in D.C. I used the same gangway just minutes after people disembarked from the same airplane I got onto, so the 12-hour requirement the CDC has put on cruise gangways is absolute bunk and IMO is just a roadblock the CDC has thrown in to make it more difficult for the cruise lines to get started.    

• Like 4

8 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

May be tough to mandate vaccines for passengers and crew.

It is not tough to mandate certain vaccines to visit some countries. If you want to go you get the required vaccines. It shouldn’t be any harder with cruises.  

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, cscurlock said:

I think the big problem is that CDC will most likely they will require vaccinations to board.  Some of the cruise lines will internally need to do to that to port in certain countries so that makes sense to make this requirement.  But some of the states have or most likely will have law or executive orders forbidding any kind of restrictions based on vaccinations.  I can see right now some suite passenger wanting to board who doesn't think they should require a vaccination by state law and gets denied boarding.  So I think that will probably be litigated in court for certain states depending on how far it goes it might take months and months.  

Or if those states want cruises going out of their state they will rescind or modify their laws or executive orders related to vaccines. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jamesatgsu said:

Because it took this long despite 2 vastly different administrations in charge?

What did anyone have to gain by not cruising?  

Politicians had to gain by not cruising. This "pandemic" has been drug along even though the high risk are mostly vaccinated.. why you ask? Look at the trillions of dollars going out to random corporations and special interest groups in these covid relief bills. Politicians are paying back their donors while we suffer and have to sit around because of a virus with a 99% survival rate before the vaccine.. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, jperry2011 said:

Politicians had to gain by not cruising. This "pandemic" has been drug along even though the high risk are mostly vaccinated.. why you ask? Look at the trillions of dollars going out to random corporations and special interest groups in these covid relief bills. Politicians are paying back their donors while we suffer and have to sit around because of a virus with a 99% survival rate before the vaccine.. 

So Trump's appointed CDC director and Biden's appointed CDC director were out to pass Stimulus bills by not cruising?

Some sound logic there.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, cscurlock said:

But some of the states have or most likely will have law or executive orders forbidding any kind of restrictions based on vaccinations. 

I just don't think this applies to international travel or Federal activities. If you fly out of a Florida city you still have to wear a mask at the airport. It's not just a business request. If you refuse they can put you on a no fly list. The EO is meant to prevent people from not being able to go to the grocery store, restaurants, etc. if they choose not to have a vaccination.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, HxFx said:

I just don't think this applies to international travel or Federal activities. If you fly out of a Florida city you still have to wear a mask at the airport. It's not just a business request. If you refuse they can put you on a no fly list. The EO is meant to prevent people from not being able to go to the grocery store, restaurants, etc. if they choose not to have a vaccination.

^^This. I doubt the Florida EO even has any applicability to the cruise terminals, since they are federal facilities. I though DeSantis made it pretty clear this was about people not being able to go to restaurants, stores, events, etc. He said nothing about cruises or airports.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, HxFx said:

What you say is logical.  But a lot of people who spend good money in campaign donations that get restricted going on a cruise in the state of Florida will call it federal overreach.   There will be a demand to hold the companies accountable which could lead to tax breaks being rescinded etc due to what the governor has said on tv is discrimination.  I am all for passports by the way but seeing what has been happening lately I suspect a court fight at some point.  Either that or these lines will just not sail out of these states until its resolved.  The good news is we have a lot of states so the lines will have options.   

16 minutes ago, cscurlock said:

But a lot of people who spend good money in campaign donations that get restricted going on a cruise in the state of Florida will call it federal overreach. 

Once again, we need to consider that cruising internationally isn't even about just Federal regulations, but also what the foreign destinations/ports expect.

If Bahamas says proof of vaccination required, well, that's the requirement.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Once again, we need to consider that cruising internationally isn't even about just Federal regulations, but also what the foreign destinations/ports expect.

If Bahamas says proof of vaccination required, well, that's the requirement.

Yeah that's the big caveat. Let just hope there is not pushback to ignore those ports and not give our money to them because of their restrictions.  Again we are already seeing signs of this in our own country.  Each party flies and each party drinks coke.  But look what is happening.  

55 minutes ago, SRQbeachgirl said:

^^This. I doubt the Florida EO even has any applicability to the cruise terminals, since they are federal facilities. I though DeSantis made it pretty clear this was about people not being able to go to restaurants, stores, events, etc. He said nothing about cruises or airports.

yeah but he confused the entire country by referencing the non-existant "vaccine passports". A "passport" is defined and regulated by federal and international law. He has no jurisdiction over passports or international or interstate travel since federal law preempts state law. A very poor executive order especially since if enforced would most likely have the affect of hindering the resumption of cruising. 

Edited by Stallion
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, DenaInWyo said:

Something tells me they won't have much trouble in FL, TX and probably not LA or SC either.  

May not have much difficulty in opening but how safe will they be. These Governors have to get onboard the "Safety Train"