Ice caves at Mendenhall Glacier

sheryltx

My family and I will be on Royal Caribbean's Quantum of the Seas in May, 2022.  We will be in Juneau from 1 pm-8 pm. We would absolutely love to explore the ice caves on Mendenhall Glacier. Royal Caribbean does not offer an excursion that includes the caves. Some of the local companies offer an excursion where we would canoe over to the glacier and then go into the caves. However, their tours start at 2:00 pm and last 6 1/2 hours, which is not enough time as we are only in port until 8:00. I know there are excursions that fly to the glacier and allow you to walk around on top, but it doesn't appear you can see the ice caves. Does anyone have any experience or recommendations for seeing the caves with such a limited time in port? Thanks in advance.

I probably was guilty of this on my first cruise in Alaska but people pick a ship based on their ship criteria and then there is a lousy itinerary and then they find excursions they want that don't fit into the time frame the ship is in port. On my 2nd trip to Alaska, I based it on ports, glaciers and times in port. Once I started doing that, my trips were so much better.

• Like 1