Virtual Reality headsets; apps and recommendations

Canucklady

Hopefully, someone will be able to guide me through this.  A few years ago in Rome we did a tour with a guide who had VR sets that depicted the Colosseum and the  palaces as they are imagined to have been 2000 years ago  It was our first experience with VR and we were beyond impressed.  so I thought this would be a good idea for our group on this cruise.   We can enjoy before and after but also be familiar with where we are going and pick out area that we want to pay closer attention to on the actual tours.   I have done some searching and no one has the ancient cities that we are visiting, but there is a wealth of options re tours of current cities; tours; museums etc.   Just the little I have checked out offer far more than we would see on any tour as there are some mobility issues within the group.

My question is;  Does anyone have any experience playing with these toys.  There are going to be five in our immediate group so I am thinking I will get at least two headsets.  However we are not gameplayers or even movie watchers so I don't need a multi-hundred dollar set.  Plus four of us are technically challenged. So simple; efficient and effective are what I am looking for.  There are all sorts of options all over the place; Amazon et al.  

So I would really welcome any input and suggestions.  I don't want a one off as I hope to be able to download and carry multiple tours, so feel free to lead me away from anything you consider to be junk   Thank you