Silver Moon Greece 10 day itineraries beginning June, 2021

WesW

16 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

There are several non-stops to choose from to reach ATH from the US.

Yes thanks Stumble. 

I researched before and was hoping that Silversea air program was taking this into consideration for US citizens.

I await their quote.

1 minute ago, spinnaker2 said:

...hoping that Silversea air program was taking this into consideration for US citizens.

Ah, good idea!  Surely they will put you two on one of the common carrier non-stops, although they may try and route you through Madrid, or even Heathrow for that matter.

20 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

Yes thanks Stumble. 

I researched before and was hoping that Silversea air program was taking this into consideration for US citizens.

I await their quote.

Hi again  Spins, what date are you looking at?

I would be very surprised if you can't get a flight from Miami non stop......or at least the stop here in the states. Miami to NY then NY directly to Greece.

20 minutes ago, Lois R said:

I would be very surprised if you can't get a flight from Miami non stop......or at least the stop here in the states. Miami to NY then NY directly to Greece.

Yes researched the available airlines. I am aware of the possibilities.

Waiting to hear what we are offered from Silversea.

Then the price of the cruise.

14 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Ahhhh ok😃

Yes there is no way I will risk being quarantined in a country not receptive to US citizens. 

My concern is that this issue be addressed up front. 

How can you book so close to sailing with out having knowledge that you can get to the port and back home without a frolic and detour.

And its so close to sailing dates that cancellation issues and payments come onto play

I understand.  My rep at SS told me they are having a big staff meeting tomorrow about all of these new things.  Lots of folks have questions.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

I hope that is true.

But if tomorrow is the day they announce the cruises shouldn't this be worked out ? 

The cruises don't get released to the public until Thursday🙂

• Like 1

9 hours ago, spinnaker2 said:

Yes there is no way I will risk being quarantined in a country not receptive to US citizens. 

My concern is that this issue be addressed up front. 

How can you book so close to sailing with out having knowledge that you can get to the port and back home without a frolic and detour.

And its so close to sailing dates that cancellation issues and payments come onto play

Absolutely.

There are so many unknowns, though I suspect its mostly a case the CL are also asking these prudent questions and not getting any answers. I have been looking at no fly options, purely on the basis if something untoward happened, I'd already be "home".

These are obviously now very close.... but it applies to everything in the future too. My next SS is in Jan 22. I think by then, there will be a very good chance the US and UK will have an air bridge - so getting to Fort Lauderdale, should be ok. However, it sails to several south American countries which I suspect still wont be any better off by siling date. Would it be worth SS going ahead in those circumstances? Would you risk being stuck in Equador or Peru? Will any insurance even be available to cover expenses and bills?

I did check to see if these cruises have appeared on the SS site - and maybe its a glitch - but there are ZERO cruises showing now for anywhere. (I did check different browsers in case it was a bug.)

Edited by les37b

Ok just spoke with my contact. He sent through the details exactly as Wes has said (Even the itinerary image was the same!) Price a bit rich for me at £5K for a Vista for a 10 night cruise. I'm desperate to sail - but not that desperate!

I notice the sailings that went missing a while ago are now back, but he did say SS had effectively cancelled the summer program apart from these Moon sailings.

On vaccinations - these Moon sailings would be compulsory but no decision has been made going forward. I was going to ask how people would prove their status - but forgot. (Sorry) He did agree the Dawn South America voyage was on dodgy grounds, so I guess I will likely (as expected) hear Panama cruise number 2 cancelled ...... and the 3rd time this booking cancelled!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good morning Les, It looks like the months of June, July and August of this year have been "temporarily removed".......I am betting when the Moon's new itineraries are posted tomorrow,  it will re-instate everything.

6 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Good morning Les, It looks like the months of June, July and August of this year have been "temporarily removed".......I am betting when the Moon's new itineraries are posted tomorrow,  it will re-instate everything.

To be fair, I hadn't really looked other than there were now sailings. This morning - there were 0 cruises anywhere and any date on any ship. I guess I viewed when they were changing.

I don't think it will bring anything back for June, July and August - just the new Moon sailings added. To think, I should have had 2 sailings of 31 nights total in the bank..... but at least they are showing on my Venetian a/c and got me past the free laundry flag! lol

Ahhh....ok, I understand. Well, I guess we will all find out tomorrow for sure🙂. .my rep gave me a price as well. Although it is more than I usually spend, I am thinking I am going to splurge anyway. I am ready to get out of here!😲 New ship, no cruises for 18 months.......seeing Greece for the first time since 2012.....I would sail next month if it was available.

7 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Ahhh....ok, I understand. Well, I guess we will all find out tomorrow for sure🙂. .my rep gave me a price as well. Although it is more than I usually spend, I am thinking I am going to splurge anyway. I am ready to get out of here!😲 New ship, no cruises for 18 months.......seeing Greece for the first time since 2012.....I would sail next month if it was available.

If it were a bit less, I'd probably have booked, but that and feeling certain i've a 3 time cancellation coming on the same booking, I dont want to commit. I'm still hopeful of a British Isles outing. (Forget - he also confirmed SS dropped their interest in this as there didnt seem much interest.) I do have a round trip from Southampton to Norway booked in the first week in September, but I think thats also not going to sail as its leaving the UK. Sailing Scotland and the Isles is of interest, but nothing in England is of interest to me whatsover - but I do want to sail.... so.... probably a lucky dip pick! lol

I think we must expect that higher prices are here to stay, at least until cruise competition gets back to where it was in 2019 with all fleets in operation.  The cruise lines have few ships sailing, and they may limit the number of passengers even on those ships.  There will be more expense in testing and sanitation, not to mention the additional medical care and the plan B's for taking care of passengers who may have to be disembarked.  And don't forget there is all that borrowing to repay.   For now, however, it looks like prices have not gone up for Moon cruises after the special summer sailings.  If the demand for the Greek isle cruises is strong, however, that won't last.

• Like 1

I am very surprised that these inaugural cruises are all showing 25% solo supplement - that's almost unknown for a Med cruise, and in the current circumstances I'm amazed.

I wonder if SS is uncertain about the number of pax willing to chance a booking? (I guess it makes reduced capacity easier?) I wonder how long the low solo supplement will last if the cruises are popular?

I might have thought about booking, even with a solo per diem for a classic verandah at well over $1,000 and an itinerary of little interest to me, until I read that you can only go ashore on an SS excursion - I wouldn't enjoy that.

But ... but ... I am so missing cruising .... sigh ... 

There are a number of points of interest covered in this page:

https://www.silversea.com/lp-silversea-hrts-consumer.html

Definitely worth reading.

Unfortunately if I were to cross the pond, I'd want to visit friends and family in England which adds a whole other layer of testing and bureaucracy - if I were to transit through Heathrow directly to Athens on the same ticket on the same day, it's just a security check and no immigration queues.

From https://www.heathrow.com/customer-support/faq/coronavirus-covid-19

If you have a boarding pass issued for your onward journey, you will be able to stay airside during your connection. This means that when you arrive into Heathrow, you will not need to pass through immigration or customs and can follow the purple signs for connections and make your way to the departing gate once it opens.

P.S. If those of you more accustomed to US flying are surprised, be aware that other countries allow transit passengers to actually transit airside even between different terminals rather than insisting they go through Immigration to enter the US then promptly leave again - a frustrating game that has led me in the past queuing for ages to enter the US, then sprinting to my gate to leave again ten minutes later. Thank goodness for Global Entry.

I think it's to do with historically who paid to build airport terminals, the airlines or the airports.

Edited by jollyjones
  • Like 2

Hi folks.......I bit the bullet, pulled the purse string, whatever you want to call it....lifted the anchor may be more appropriate but I booked The Moon for July 8th🙂......will see how things go but I am so ready to get out of here!....I am sure it will be different but I really am looking forward to it.  It has been 9 years since my last time in Greece and to be honest,  most of the ports are very new to me. I have been to Athens and Rhodes but not to the other stops.

I know some people will say it is crazy to book but I don't care........can't wait to get back on a ship again🙂

• Like 5