Expedition cruising used to be a Niche Market.  Now the major players besides Silversea are entering the market with new ships like Crystal and Seabourn.

What makes Quark and the Ultramarine standout from the now crowded competition??

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Hey Paul,
Really loving these great questions from you!

We definitely agree, the expedition cruising market has seen an increase in operators and big-name brands from the ocean cruising market have started to get in on it in the last few years.

One of the key differentiators as an operator is our expertise. We have exclusively conducted polar expeditions for over 30+ years and have taken more travelers to the Polar Regions than any other operator. Some of the highlights from our operations include:

• The first-ever tourism transit of the Northeast Passage in 1991
  • We took the first group of travelers to the North Pole in 1991
  • We completed the first circumnavigation of Antarctica for commercial passengers in 1997
  • In 2004, we were the first to confirm the most northerly Emperor penguin rookery near Snow Hill in the Weddell Sea, Antarctica.

Our extensive expertise is directly connected to having one of the most experienced Expedition Teams in the industry, with some of our team members having over 25 years of polar expedition experience. In addition to this, Quark Expeditions has the highest staff-to-guest ratio in the industry.

Ultramarine’s design embodies that same expertise. Features such four Zodiac embarkation points, two efficient and spacious Ready Rooms, improved navigational ship positioning technology, and the water-level zodiac hangar were a direct result of all the input from both our Shore-based and Ship-based teams.

We’ve been asked about whether Ultramarine is trying to match the luxury offerings of our competitors, and we can assure you that although Ultramarine’s onboard features and amenities are slightly more luxurious than the rest of the vessels in our fleet, our priority remains the expedition experience of our guests.

I hope this answers your question. Have a good one, 
Nicolas at Quark Expeditions

P.S.: Here's one of the videos I watch when I need some inspiration during a hard day at the office: 

Edited by Quark Expeditions

Thank you Nicolas for the video.

As you noted it is all about the Expedition and the team,

Fingers crossed that our 2021 Antarctica cruise with the Solar Eclipse goes as planned.

6 hours ago, PaulMCO said:

Thank you Nicolas for the video.

As you noted it is all about the Expedition and the team,

Fingers crossed that our 2021 Antarctica cruise with the Solar Eclipse goes as planned.

My pleasure, @PaulMCO! I am really excited for you, I've been thinking about that one ever since our Product team first came up with it internally. Rooting for travel restrictions and the global pandemic response improves by then!