MY PERSONAL JOURNEY FOR A “LUXURY VIP ALL-INCLUSIVE CRUISE VACATION”!

Sthrngary

I have written a cruise guests Journey of sorts to creating a "Luxury VIP All-Inclusive Cruise Vacation".  It was way to long for me to simply post.  The document attached tells a story with examples of how I personally craft my cruises from start to finish.  When I have share some of the crazy stuff that I do, my friends and family make fun of me.  They tell me that I put way to much time into the details and preparations.  They say, "You should just go with the flow when you go on a cruise vacation"!

What they miss is that I have gone with the flow.  I learned along the way things that would make the next experience better.  I have now been on 23 cruises with 24 and 25 booked set to go.  This sequence continued to my upcoming cruises.  I don't ever expect anyone to go through the hoops I do.  Instead, maybe something I have done or do will help your next cruise experience achieve the goal of "All-Inclusive".  

Before you download and open the document attached, know it is very detailed and long.  If you have a question on how I do something or where I got the information provided, just reply to this post.  If you read something you feel is not accurate, give me your source and I will make an adjustment to my document.  Remember, this was designed to help those that wanted to create their own "All-Inclusive" cruise experience.  I hope you like it and the work it took to write it.

Thank you

Journey_To_All_Inclusive_Cruise.pdf

2 hours ago, vistaman said:

I truly hope for you the Crystal cruise will become an excellent experience 

the choice of all inclusive drinks in the bars is maybe the biggest on any cruise company 

I think Crystal will do well.  It is not the All Inclusive Drinks that I am looking forward too.  It is the personalized service.  In the same year, I will be cruising on Crystal and also in the NCL Haven on the Joy.  The Crystal is just my wife and I and the NCL Haven is my entire family of five.  My hope is my wife will clearly see the difference and we both will enjoy the smaller ship.  Thank you for commenting. 

4 hours ago, vistaman said:

the choice of all inclusive drinks in the bars is maybe the biggest on any cruise company 

It is  not totally all inclusive

Have a look at the bar menus

Basic drinks  are included  some wines  are included

I think  you are going  to be in for  a shock  with your WANTS list

you may get #7, 9 & 12  if you do not visit the spa /gift shop/or take ship's tours

I would lower your expectations  & you may  get  some of what you are looking for

BTW  unless things have changed  Crystal  has self serve buffet 

people picking over stuff  they want

trying to get  a dressing from the back row  they dribble into the dishes in front of them

do you want this  for tea time

regular afternoon tea offerings

or

CIMG0056

tea trolly

I know I prefer to choose what I want 

20 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Thank you LHT28.  I kind of knew that or at least assumed it.  When you go on let us say, NCL.  The Perk drink package only goes up to $15.00 a drink.  My wife and I always upgrade the drink package to what is called the Premium Plus Drink Package.  Even though, the amount per drink is gone and my wife can get a full bottle of selected wine at meals; many really high level brands and wines are still not included.  Totally understandable and impossible price if I was a cruise brand.  The key to me from my article was the personalized service and the items I am more then willing to handle pre-cruise to make it as All Inclusive as it can be.  Thank you as always for responding. 

3 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

I think  you are going  to be in for  a shock  with your WANTS list

you may get #7, 9 & 12  if you do not visit the spa /gift shop/or take ship's tours

I would lower your expectations  & you may  get  some of what you are looking for

BTW  unless things have changed  Crystal  has self serve buffet 

people picking over stuff  they want

trying to get  a dressing from the back row  they dribble into the dishes in front of them

do you want this  for tea time

regular afternoon tea offerings

or

CIMG0056

tea trolly

I know I prefer to choose what I want 

Hum, it seems like from your experience, the same old stuff happens on Crystal, that happens on Mainstream Cruise lines.  That is the take I get from your response.  Covid might handle the food issue, we will see. Since I have no experience on this, what cruise brand would you recommend that would better achieve my objective. 

52 minutes ago, mj_holiday said:

For your spreadsheet, you seem to know what shows are what nights and when the lectures are scheduled before you get on the cruise.  How do you find that information?

First thank you for asking about my spreadsheet.  I am kind of proud of it.  It must be clear, when you go on Mainstream Cruise Lines like NCL, you reserve your show.  On Oceania, you can pre-book your lectures and or things like cooking programs.  In most cases, on all cruises you can pre-book your excursions.  Finally, more times then not, the spa will offer you a discount if you book a certain number of spa treatments ahead of time.  When I do the spa thing (I don't do that any more) I establish the time and day.  All this information goes on the spread sheet.

If your question has to do directly with Crystal Cruises, I can not answer it.  I will after my cruise at the end of July.  What I do know is I can't reserve the specialty restaurants or excursions until I pay in full.  That is a bit different from other brands but will work ok since full payment is due 60 days in advance. I hope that answers your question. 

42 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Please be aware that this poster will post negative stuff about Crystal whenever there is a chance. I certainly don't think Grey Goose and the like is "basic". No, you're not going to get $75/bottle wine included, but their selection is quite acceptable to most.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, vistaman said:

As is normal.  When every a person really drills down on any brand.  There are those that Love, are indifferent and hate the brand.  Because making a mistake on a Luxury Cruise can be an expensive preposition.   I have a kind of guide.  When looking at comments and reviews.  Don't look at either the top of bottom 10%. Focus on the middle 80%.  

My most recent choice of Crystal was not an easy one.  It took some time and the Crystal Cruise Critics group was very helpful.  You have to remember, where the NCL Haven is very nice, the service is different when you leave the Haven area.  On Luxury brands like Crystal, Regent, the future Ritz and other, personalized service is much more refined.  That is the real key to me.  Thank you for your thoughts. 

6 minutes ago, Texas Tillie said:

Please be aware that this poster will post negative stuff about Crystal whenever there is a chance. I certainly don't think Grey Goose and the like is "basic". No, you're not going to get $75/bottle wine included, but their selection is quite acceptable to most.

Texas Tillie, as my previous response says and I wrote in my document.  It is important to remember to focus on the majority of reviews and comments.  I thought my comment to the previous poster hit that issue with my example.  Brand Loyalty cuts both ways and we all have to make that decision by our personal experiences.  My goal in my document was to increase my odds of success by doing my due diligence.  The way I phased it in the document was to, "Know the rules to the game."  

Even on the highest investment luxury cruise, Dom P and 100 year old scotch is a premium.  Just makes sense and completely fair.  I fully understood why you commented and appreciate your thoughts. 

• Like 1

I do not think Grey Goose, Ketel One , Chivas 12, Glenfiddich and Remy Martin or Courvoisier VSOP are basic drinks ... basic to me are Smirnoff , Gordon's , 3star cognac  and similar 

I simply do not know a cruise line with a better choice , maybe a better French Champagne but that is a matter of personal taste ...

If you want higher end brands XO  , 21 years old I think one must deviate to an  Asian or Arabic airline in First ...  to find  those on complimentary base 😄

Several of the above qualified as non basic are on payable base on a rather expensive yacht style "all in " company operating 2 older ships ( one can fill in the name -) 

1 hour ago, Sthrngary said:

Hum, it seems like from your experience, the same old stuff happens on Crystal, that happens on Mainstream Cruise lines.  That is the take I get from your response.  Covid might handle the food issue, we will see. Since I have no experience on this, what cruise brand would you recommend that would better achieve my objective. 

I have not  been on  many cruises  where  the waiter will stand by for your first bite   most serve the table then are off to the next table

Most premium/luxury line will have waitstaff around the pool area  no need to stand at the bar for your drinks

Chair hogs are everywhere  but it depends on how the  deck crew handle them

helping  lay towels all over the sofas  is not my idea of  good staff members

We did have the farce of the photographers on Crystal  but not as bad as HAL

I will probably be bashed by the Crystalites as above

Oceania is our preferred line  while it is not  a "Luxury" line  it meets our needs/wants

We are not big drinkers  but those that like  to drink they do have a drink package  $60 PP PD

no charge for  non alcoholic beverages

no photographers  the only photo is the one for the room card at check in

limited smoking areas 2 to be exact  one inside  one on the pool deck just a small corner not the whole side of the deck as on Crystal

If you are sailing during the Covid restriction maybe  the buffet will be  staff served only (I hope)

Enjoy your cruise 

8 minutes ago, vistaman said:

I do not think Grey Goose, Ketel One , Chivas 12, Glenfiddich and Remy Martin or Courvoisier VSOP are basic drinks ... basic to me are Smirnoff , Gordon's , 3star cognac  and similar 

I simply do not know a cruise line with a better choice , maybe a better French Champagne but that is a matter of personal taste ...

If you want higher end brands XO  , 21 years old I think one must deviate to an  Asian or Arabic airline in First ...  to find  those on complimentary base 😄

Several of the above qualified as non basic are on payable base on a rather expensive yacht style "all in " company operating 2 older ships ( one can fill in the name -) 

Vistaman, yep.  Agreed.  In our world, we all set expectations.  The issue is, those expectations need to be realistic based on sound business logic.  In addition, some folks want to find an issue with everything then neglect to come up with a solution.  My concept of "Knowing the rules to the game" allows for realistic expectations.  Knowing that many brand marketing teams are paid huge money to make the product look better then it is.  That makes the guest simply ask the right questions so they set the right expectations. 

No one in their right mind would or could expect XO buy the bottle.  When someone complains they have to pay for it.  That just means they did not do their due diligent.  The brand you outlined are excellent and just fine for me.  Thanks for your response. 

3 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

I have not  been on  many cruises  where  the waiter will stand by for your first bite   most serve the table then are off to the next table

Most premium/luxury line will have waitstaff around the pool area  no need to stand at the bar for your drinks

Chair hogs are everywhere  but it depends on how the  deck crew handle them

helping  lay towels all over the sofas  is not my idea of  good staff members

We did have the farce of the photographers on Crystal  but not as bad as HAL

I will probably be bashed by the Crystalites

Oceania is our preferred line  while it is not  a "Luxury" line  it meets our needs/wants

We are not big drinkers  but those that like  to drink they do have a drink package  $60 PP PD

no charge for  non alcoholic beverages

no photographers  the only photo is the one for the room card at check in

limited smoking areas 2 to be exact  one inside  one on the pool deck just a small corner not the whole side of the deck as on Crystal

If you are sailing during the Covid restriction maybe  the buffet will be  staff served only (I hope)

Enjoy your cruise 

You have every right to have your opinion.  You obviously read my sections on social media.  I totally get what you said.  Thank you. 

1 hour ago, Texas Tillie said:

I posted our experience

After 2 sailing with Crystal   well it was a B2B  after the first few days we knew we made a mistake  but tried to enjoy  the cruise

It was cheaper than our usual cruise line Oceania  but we wanted to try a Luxury line

we did

Everyone should choose what works best for them

Maybe the OP will love Crystal  as you do

15 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

You have every right to have your opinion.  You obviously read my sections on social media.  I totally get what you said.  Thank you. 

I only read this thread & your PDF file

I can see if your wants are important to your enjoyment of the cruise   based on our experience with Crystal  you might be disappointed

Like I said  above look at the bar menus  to what is included  in the all inclusive  aspect of Crystal

judge for yourself  as I am sure you will

Would like to see your comments after the cruise

We booked an outside  so maybe  we were not special enough to get the personal service  as some do 😉

Just a heads up 

if you are not a smoker &  do not like the stale smell of  ciggie smoke  make sure you do not sit on the side of the pool deck where smoking is allowed  or the aft decks

The aft deck is a nice place to sit  but we found the stale smoke smell unbearable  JMO

If you are  a smoker  then it is  a moot point  LOL

Enjoy

4 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

I only read this thread & your PDF file

I can see if your wants are important to your enjoyment of the cruise   based on our experience with Crystal  you might be disappointed

Like I said  above look at the bar menus  to what is included  in the all inclusive  aspect of Crystal

judge for yourself  as I am sure you will

Would like to see your comment after the cruise

We booked an outside  so maybe  we were not special enough to get the personal service  as some do

😉

Enjoy

I get you.  I take what you say under consideration as I do everyone whom comments.  You also have to understand, in the past, I have taken VIP area's on Mainstream Cruise Brands.  My document shows some of the work I do to take every cruise experience up a notch.  The only thing I can not seem to control is the personal service given to all guests when they leave their stateroom, regardless of the stateroom they have. 

Let me give you an example because I can see, you understand that many might get upset that your opinion on Crystal is not like theirs.  That is not my point.  My point is to take what ever experience I have had in the past and improve it.  Back to my example.  I will be sailing on the NCL Joy, in the Haven VIP area and in a (H2) Deluxe Owners Suite. The largest suite on this ship.  I know the rules.  When I leave the Haven, my personalized treatment will not be the same.  I also don't expect that.  I do expect that in a Luxury Cruise Brand.  

Even on Oceania, you have to be Penthouse or above, you have access to the special spa area in the front of the ship.  You are not provided that when you are in a state room below penthouse.  As long as the guest knows that, no issue.  The same thing holds true with the Adult Beverage package.  Just know the rules and make a business decision based on that. 

14 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

pool deck early morning & most of the day  on our cruise

the nesting culture

nice  comfy sun bed  (if you can score one)

Ok, I see your point.  The same stuff happens on Luxury Cruise Brands as does on Mainstream.  This picture clearly shows one of the items that disturbs me about past cruises.  I think you can also see why some that are Crystal Lovers have a hard time with some of your posts.  Your experience contradicts with theirs.  I did not want to start a issue with my original post.  My responses have been thoughtful I hope.  You have shared items worthy of consideration and so have others.  I will follow up with all of my Cruise Critic friends with a fair review when I return.  

Thank you to everyone for your thoughtful time in responding to my op-ed.  Cruise well everyone. 

57 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

Even on Oceania, you have to be Penthouse or above, you have access to the special spa area in the front of the ship.  You are not provided that when you are in a state room below penthouse.  As long as the guest knows that, no issue. 

You are mistaken

Anyone in  an "A"  cat  & above have the free access to the spa terrace

It is just chairs/loungers & the T pool or hot tub depending on the ship

Not  a big deal to some 

Others can buy a day pass  or get a free hour  with the purchase of a spa treatment

Yes I agree  on the beverages ..that is why I suggested you check the bar menus for Crystal to be informed

You can ask on the main Crystal forum  as I did find them there  before our cruise

If you only drink spirits  with  or without a mixer   it will suit your needs

The best Oceania ship for the spa deck area  is Riviera

although no shade  we like the T pool

CIMG0002

CIMG0003

1 hour ago, vistaman said:

If you are taking  a snipe at me

I said basic drinks  not basic brands

there is  a difference 

2 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

On Oceania, you can pre-book your lectures and or things like cooking programs.  In most cases, on all cruises you can pre-book your excursions. 

not correct

You prebook Cooking classes on their larger ships because there is  a fee & limited capacity

Lectures are free to all no reservations required

You pre book Specialty dining but no charge  as I believe is the same on Crystal

You prebook  La Reserve on Oceania's larger ships   as it is a fee based wine tasting menu  & limited capacity

3 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

Can you point to where I said you get  a bottle of wine  included?

As you well know  there are some drinks on the Crystal  beverage menus that have a fee attached