MY PERSONAL JOURNEY FOR A “LUXURY VIP ALL-INCLUSIVE CRUISE VACATION”!

Sthrngary

It is a funny thing.  I wrote this document to help folk create a All-Inclusive cruise as help.  My assumption was folk were currently like me.  They just want to do what they can to achieve the most relaxing cruise vacation they could have.  It seems the comments are now focused on the choice of Crystal and or Oceania both excellent brands.  I am at fault here and I apologize to everyone whom took the time to reply. It was never my intent to create conflict with anyone nor stir the pot if you will. 

27 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Can you point to where I said you get  a bottle of wine  included?

As you well know  there are some drinks on the Crystal  beverage menus that have a fee attached

I said that a $75 bottle of wine is not on the included wine, but that many think the included wines are good. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sthrngary said:

It is a funny thing.  I wrote this document to help folk create a All-Inclusive cruise as help.  My assumption was folk were currently like me.  They just want to do what they can to achieve the most relaxing cruise vacation they could have.  It seems the comments are now focused on the choice of Crystal and or Oceania both excellent brands.  I am at fault here and I apologize to everyone whom took the time to reply. It was never my intent to create conflict with anyone nor stir the pot if you will. 

Sorry if we got off track

I gave you my opinions based on your expectations re Crystal

Anyone can make any cruise line all inclusive  but they cannot  give the same feeling onboard as a Premium or Luxury line

Some feel on a "LUXURY" line will suit

I do hope you find  what works best for you

who know  maybe the Haven will be it LOL

Some here seem to like to point fingers at me because I did not become Crystalized

enjoy the cruise  

1 hour ago, Texas Tillie said:

I said that a $75 bottle of wine is not on the included wine, but that many think the included wines are good. 

Some beers are also not included

but posting comments  like this  is not helpful

"Please be aware that this poster will post negative stuff about Crystal whenever there is a chance."

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Sorry if we got off track

I gave you my opinions based on your expectations re Crystal

Some here seem to like to point fingers at me because I did not become Crystalized

enjoy the cruise  

It is ok.  I am also a big NCL Haven fan which includes Oceania and Regent.  I read your review from 2019.  This post was about how to take ANY brand and make it as much of an All-Inclusive VIP Luxury Cruise as possible.  It is very true that I choose to take the upcoming Crystal Cruise to the Bahama's in late July.  I was supposed to take the Oceania Marina to Europe last October however Covid-19 got that cancelled.  

All I ask is to keep the focus on how to make any cruise on any brand the best that it can be.  Nothing is perfect however the great thing about cruises is we all take less then perfect situations and make them positive memories for the future.  

1 minute ago, Sthrngary said:

It is ok.  I am also a big NCL Haven fan which includes Oceania and Regent.  I read your review from 2019.  This post was about how to take ANY brand and make it as much of an All-Inclusive VIP Luxury Cruise as possible.  It is very true that I choose to take the upcoming Crystal Cruise to the Bahama's in late July.  I was supposed to take the Oceania Marina to Europe last October however Covid-19 got that cancelled.  

All I ask is to keep the focus on how to make any cruise on any brand the best that it can be.  Nothing is perfect however the great thing about cruises is we all take less then perfect situations and make them positive memories for the future.  

I am not a fan of NCL   nor of the ship within a ship concept

but  do ask Keith or Stickman for the bar menu list  just to be informed  on your upcoming cruise

I am sure if you had Oceania cruise booked you already know what was on the Prestige package

I will say some of the entertainment on Crystal was good 

we had a great classical pianist  & Lovena Fox  which we had seen on Princess & Oceania

5 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

Ok, I see your point.  The same stuff happens on Luxury Cruise Brands as does on Mainstream.  This picture clearly shows one of the items that disturbs me about past cruises.  I think you can also see why some that are Crystal Lovers have a hard time with some of your posts.  Your experience contradicts with theirs.  I did not want to start a issue with my original post.  My responses have been thoughtful I hope.  You have shared items worthy of consideration and so have others.  I will follow up with all of my Cruise Critic friends with a fair review when I return.  

Thank you to everyone for your thoughtful time in responding to my op-ed.  Cruise well everyone. 

Since we are both in Birmingham AL, you may want to contact us about our experience with Regent, which has not seemed to enter your options.  We have done a number of Regent cruises and have found their inclusiveness to meet our needs completely.  We are trying a cruise on Crystal in July, but would have much preferred cruising on Regent.  Please feel free to email me at gouchermom@lycos.com.

48 minutes ago, Ladys Mom said:

Since we are both in Birmingham AL, you may want to contact us about our experience with Regent, which has not seemed to enter your options.  We have done a number of Regent cruises and have found their inclusiveness to meet our needs completely.  We are trying a cruise on Crystal in July, but would have much preferred cruising on Regent.  Please feel free to email me at gouchermom@lycos.com.

Wow, how kind of you.  Really.  I sent you an email.  Cruise well. 

For luxury lines, we have been on Crystal, Silversea and Seabourn. Regent got cancelled just about a year ago.

i think all three of those lines can meet all or nearly all of your goals. A zero bill at the end might be tough depending on your OBC and what you prepaid on any of them. Buffets, if they continue, will be problematic but just having fewer folks on board helps minimize issues. We’re not spa people so I can’t comment much on that aspect. 

As you know to do, see who is posting what and screen out the top and bottom 10%. And as others have said elsewhere, if something isn’t right, address it promptly and it should get resolved. 

You’re booked on Crystal and pre-COVID I know you’d enjoy it. Everything is a little up in the air right now though. 

Happy and safe travels! 🚢🥂

10 hours ago, CruiserFromMaine said:

For luxury lines, we have been on Crystal, Silversea and Seabourn. Regent got cancelled just about a year ago.

i think all three of those lines can meet all or nearly all of your goals. A zero bill at the end might be tough depending on your OBC and what you prepaid on any of them. Buffets, if they continue, will be problematic but just having fewer folks on board helps minimize issues. We’re not spa people so I can’t comment much on that aspect. 

As you know to do, see who is posting what and screen out the top and bottom 10%. And as others have said elsewhere, if something isn’t right, address it promptly and it should get resolved. 

You’re booked on Crystal and pre-COVID I know you’d enjoy it. Everything is a little up in the air right now though. 

Happy and safe travels! 🚢🥂

Well outlined and I could not agree more.  A you probably could tell. Some of my want, example $0.00 bill is based on pre-paying most things.  The amount of the bill was less important then the concept I was sharing.  Another example was the waiter waiting for me to taste the food.  The notion there was simply someone checks back quick enough to make a change if needed.

I completely agree with your brands. I also would love to travel Europe on Regent. My Crystal Choose was out of convenience and the attempt to take a test drive on a luxury brand that did not break the bank. 

The truth is, All cruise are what you make of them.  Nothing ever goes perfect and we all have to control what we can and be flexible on the rest.  It is just nice to be able to every consider a vacation at all in the wake of covid.  Cruise well. 

• Thanks 1

Your journal was a very good read. I found myself quoting your “journal of advice” to my husband who only has a million and a half Delta miles. Very nice to have lifetime platinum with Delta. I know these perks that impact your wife’s travel experience are appreciated and help compensate for the time you are away. My DH will not get there as retired but I get the perk of having him home now! Agree with your experience with Platinum Am Ex, we use it for everything we can and get many perks.

I second Lady’s Mom when she says that you should consider Regent. Regent is very inclusive with great service. Unfortunately we had a Crystal cruise that was not the greatest impacted by many things including a very large group. Hopefully it was just an off cruise.

On 4/13/2021 at 8:30 PM, travelwell said:

Your journal was a very good read. I found myself quoting your “journal of advice” to my husband who only has a million and a half Delta miles. Very nice to have lifetime platinum with Delta. I know these perks that impact your wife’s travel experience are appreciated and help compensate for the time you are away. My DH will not get there as retired but I get the perk of having him home now! Agree with your experience with Platinum Am Ex, we use it for everything we can and get many perks.

I second Lady’s Mom when she says that you should consider Regent. Regent is very inclusive with great service. Unfortunately we had a Crystal cruise that was not the greatest impacted by many things including a very large group. Hopefully it was just an off cruise.

There is nothing I would rather do then cruise Regent (RSSC).  That would be the ultimate bucket list items especially in Europe.  I am going on Crystal in the Bahama's to simply do a "Luxury Test Cruise".  My cruise history is mainstream and premium.  The thing that makes Regent a hard decision is the investment.  I have done all the crazy comparisons and know this difference with all things considered is really not that much.  I promise to give it very careful consideration.  Thank you for your great post.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/16/2021 at 9:32 PM, LHT28 said:

JMO

Sailing on the "Ship within a ship"  type ships  are not  considered Premium

YMMV

I would have to agree with your assessment that "Ship within a Ship" is not considered Premium.  Then again, I went on the Celebrity Equinox and Many HAL ships in suites.  These are the "Premium" lines for Royal and Carnival.  I could not tell a significant difference in all key value indicators on those "Premium" brands.  

However, when I traveled the "Ship within a Ship" approach on several mainstream brands, as long as I was in the ships VIP sections, it was beyond any experience I had received on 23 previous cruises. My needs are different then some.  I LOVE a big ship over a small ship.  So Luxury Cruising is not exactly my cup of tea.  I like the water slides, go cart tracks, huge theatre's and Broadway type entertainment.  Not available on smaller ships.  The best of both worlds are these VIP sections.  When the crown gets to you and you just want to chill, go back to the Haven, Retreat, Yacht Club, ECT.

So whether you call the ship category "Premium", you are getting close to "Luxury" on a Mainstream brand. Not for everyone, I kind of like it thought. Cruise well everyone.

2 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

I would have to agree with your assessment that "Ship within a Ship" is not considered Premium.  Then again, I went on the Celebrity Equinox and Many HAL ships in suites.  These are the "Premium" lines for Royal and Carnival.

I think not

Maybe try a true premium line   & you will see the difference

😉

16 hours ago, LHT28 said:

I think not

Maybe try a true premium line   & you will see the difference

😉

Please give us examples of true premium lines and the reason you like them.  That would give all of us a perspective for choices in the future.  My goal in these op-eds is to provide real information about why we should very carefully select our choices based on our personal wants, needs and motives.  Your input will be of great value to everyone reading including myself.  

The article linked by LHT28 was very informative.

Examples of why we have Regent as our first choice are numerous.  Any cruise with any line is a good cruise, Regent just makes everything better.

• There is no rush to make sure people get something being offered, everyone knows that there is always plenty of room or plenty of drinks etc.  I felt the Lido on mass market cruises was very chaotic. And while I was waiting to get to an area of the buffet, someone always seemed to get in front of me.
  • Service in the Main Dining Room is set to the pace you want.  It can be relatively quick if you let them know you have to be someplace, or it can be nice and slow, savoring every bite.
  • Breakfast and lunch in Regent's LaVeranda can be quick, but you still don't feel you are being rushed.  There is always someone to help you find a table and help you with special orders.  Tables have table clothes.  Great selection.  If you are a little unstable someone will help you by carrying your plate to your table.  Drinks are served at the table.
  • Room service has always been timely for us, with a table cloth.
  • While people will complain about who sits in handicapped seats, etc on the included excursions, I have just seen people looking out for others on the excursion.  When on a bus, it is not completely full so there is plenty of room.
  • Leave your shoes outside your suite at night and they will be cleaned/polished and returned before you wake up the next morning.
  • Walk into trivia and all tables are occupied, someone will immediately start bringing out tables so everyone can participate.
  • Returning to the ship at the end of the day and there will be no line, cool water to drink and places to sit if waiting for a tender.  You are greeted as you go through security.
  • There has always been plenty of room at lectures or nightly entertainment.  Plenty of crew to take and bring your drink orders.

These are just some of the reasons I prefer a luxury cruise, and I am really anxious to get back on a ship.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/30/2021 at 8:49 AM, mj_holiday said:

The article linked by LHT28 was very informative.

Examples of why we have Regent as our first choice are numerous.  Any cruise with any line is a good cruise, Regent just makes everything better.

• There is no rush to make sure people get something being offered, everyone knows that there is always plenty of room or plenty of drinks etc.  I felt the Lido on mass market cruises was very chaotic. And while I was waiting to get to an area of the buffet, someone always seemed to get in front of me.
  • Service in the Main Dining Room is set to the pace you want.  It can be relatively quick if you let them know you have to be someplace, or it can be nice and slow, savoring every bite.
  • Breakfast and lunch in Regent's LaVeranda can be quick, but you still don't feel you are being rushed.  There is always someone to help you find a table and help you with special orders.  Tables have table clothes.  Great selection.  If you are a little unstable someone will help you by carrying your plate to your table.  Drinks are served at the table.
  • Room service has always been timely for us, with a table cloth.
  • While people will complain about who sits in handicapped seats, etc on the included excursions, I have just seen people looking out for others on the excursion.  When on a bus, it is not completely full so there is plenty of room.
  • Leave your shoes outside your suite at night and they will be cleaned/polished and returned before you wake up the next morning.
  • Walk into trivia and all tables are occupied, someone will immediately start bringing out tables so everyone can participate.
  • Returning to the ship at the end of the day and there will be no line, cool water to drink and places to sit if waiting for a tender.  You are greeted as you go through security.
  • There has always been plenty of room at lectures or nightly entertainment.  Plenty of crew to take and bring your drink orders.

These are just some of the reasons I prefer a luxury cruise, and I am really anxious to get back on a ship.

Very good information.  After taking literally years to study all the different cruise segments, one thing is very clear.  The Luxury Segment is all about personalized service.  When push comes to shove, a crew member who is attentive and observes your need; then before you even know you have that need takes care of it.  That is luxury.  If you can add onto this a well appointed ship, upgraded dining experience and shows; you have the best example of a luxury cruise. 

Many people have their brands they like the best.  Why they choose one brand over the other.  Folks even get into heated debates.  In my years of studying Luxury clients needs like all of us, one small situation can create a love of hate for a luxury brand.

My first choice for years has been Regents.  I love all the NCL products to be quite honest.  However Regents was the crown jewel.  Even though to take a bucket list 10-Mederainan cruise would be the investment of a small car; it was my objective.  Until I had a less then favorable experience communicating with a Regents brand cruise consultant on their 1-800 line.  I was treated like I as a second class person.  Not elite enough.  What they did not know was I rate my treatment and communication based on training luxury sales professionals for decades.  

From that day, my heart could not make the move to Regents.  We I still consider them in the future. Of course.  However other luxury brands will get my business when Regents could have had it all. Luxury clients demand ever improving luxury experiences at every touch point or they sour on your brand.  Cruise well everyone.

Just to be picky  because I have nothing better to do in lockdown

It is REGENT   not RegentS

We tried a Luxury brand

The staff  were not any better than our favourite premium line

but we do not book top suites 

Enjoy your cruise

On 5/11/2021 at 8:39 AM, LHT28 said:

Just to be picky  because I have nothing better to do in lockdown

It is REGENT   not RegentS

We tried a Luxury brand

The staff  were not any better than our favourite premium line

but we do not book top suites 

Enjoy your cruise

My spelling and grammar is awful for sure.  I love your response and appreciate your feedback always.  I made a decision which was kind of easy.  I booked a Crystal Cruises 7-Day Bahamas Cruise for the end of July 2021.  I also did not book a top suite so many of the amenities they get, I will not get including a butler. I did this cruise because I wanted to take a "Test Drive" on a Luxury Brand.  I looked at them all.  Was price a key to my decision, yes it was.  I just had to know if going on a smaller ship, with far less guests, that was known to be a Luxury Brand would make a difference in my overall experience.  

I have gone on Premium lines and considered ultra-premium like Oceania.  My experience was seeing little difference in personalized service unless you booked in the VIP Suite Class which usually had a private area for sunning, suites only restaurant and bar.  When you left the area, well things were the same as the other mainstream cruise lines.  Just my experience, not trying to debate it.  

We all have an obligation to CruiseCritic.com.  When we go on cruises, review them.  Be honest about what your like and dislike.  Really explain why.  That really helps folks like us to make much better business decision in the future.  Cruise well everyone.

• 4 months later...

I have taken my Crystal Cruise on August 23, 2021.  My original cruise was scheduled for July 31, 2021, however my wife got Break Through Covid.  So the cruise was postponed to August 23, 2021.  I am the Op-Ed.  I promised that I would write a review and post it on CruiseCritic.com. This review has been posted so feel free to have a look.

I also did a YouTube Video which you can find if you search YouTube "Crystal Cruises Serenity".  My experiment with Luxury Cruising was fun and interesting.  Not what I expected and exactly what expected.

Cruise well everyone.