Bermuda Escape Cruises - insights, information, and more just on Bermuda

CCWineLover

Since the Bermuda and Iceland Welcome Back cruises seem to have some very specific aspects to them, I thought I'd start a Bermuda Escape Cruise specific topic - with the idea that we could post and share insights and information we learn specifically about the nuances of Bermuda.   Requirements, restrictions, shots, Viking Air to Bermuda (challenging?), excursions (when they come out), and other bits of info that pertain to Bermuda.

Hope to hear from fellow Bermuda cruisers!

Kent and Pam

Paso Robles, CA

Thanks Pam , this a great idea to have a Bermuda thread going forward. One thing is that the Covid guidelines could change between now and June. In fact, MN health depth just issued guide line about coming back from international travel. Must have a covid test before boarding  on a US flight. Once home, I will get another test 3-5 days later. I have had the saliva test before. It is easy and result in one day.  All covid test and vaccinations are free in MN 

Edited by Azulann

We’re booked on the July 6th cruise and very excited.  We picked Bermuda over Iceland mainly because we haven’t been there ( did Iceland on an extension in 2016 ) but really thought it might be a simpler trip.  We haven’t left our “bubble” in more than a year and not sure how this first trip will go.  Anxiously awaiting flight info and the “return” of MVJ.  Will spend some time watching as re-entry requirements seem to be an evolving issue.  We’re in Illinois and my daughter (and travel buddy) is a Chicago resident ... they have their own rules.  It can be daunting but I’m sure we’ll figure it all out!  Soooo happy to be planning a trip again!

Information on entering Bermuda for Vaccinated Visitors from the US and Canada, dated just this past April 7, 2021:  Travel Protocols - pre-departure and on arrival

https://www.gotobermuda.com/bta/press-release/bermuda-tourism-authority-update

Guidelines for immunized travelers:

https://www.gov.bm/coronavirus-covid-19-information-immunised-travellers

And yes, as Azulann stated, this could be changing over the coming months.

5 minutes ago, molymoo said:

We’re booked on the July 6th cruise and very excited.  We picked Bermuda over Iceland mainly because we haven’t been there ( did Iceland on an extension in 2016 ) but really thought it might be a simpler trip.  We haven’t left our “bubble” in more than a year and not sure how this first trip will go.  Anxiously awaiting flight info and the “return” of MVJ.  Will spend some time watching as re-entry requirements seem to be an evolving issue.  We’re in Illinois and my daughter (and travel buddy) is a Chicago resident ... they have their own rules.  It can be daunting but I’m sure we’ll figure it all out!  Soooo happy to be planning a trip again!

Yes indeed, molymoo!  We have been to Bermuda several times but not Iceland, but chose the Bermuda cruise because we wanted to save Iceland for when everything is a little bit better and we can go on our own.   We absolutely loved Bermuda - and of course the Viking Ocean ships!

We've also been in a bubble.  My brother lives in Chicago and is coming out to visit in a month.  Meeting him in LA where we grew up.  Haven't seen him in a long time.  Life is getting shorter.

• Like 1

Notes and insights from a really good call with my Travel Agent and Viking Air this afternoon trying to get air tickets to Bermuda.  I'm posting this here because some of the items may apply only to Bermuda and not Iceland.

For Bermuda on Viking Air:

-No Stopovers allowed (this includes no "forced" overnight stopovers unless absolutely necessary)

-Deviation allowed but only for 7 days ahead of cruise sailing

-If you use Viking Air and no deviations - Viking will deal with and handle the Bermuda arrival/entry requirements with COVID testing and transport, as well as exit testing and transport to the airport.

-If a late flight is needed on return, Viking may indeed have offer up lounge passes at the airport, as everyone will be required to disembark the ship in the morning together and leave to the airport.

-No upgrades of any kind will be done to Bermuda - not in the contract

-Ticketing will not be done until 45 days in advance - only then can you work with airlines to get your own upgrades.  Likely by then there will be none available however.

-There is a small chance that more flights will be added by airlines as we approach June/July

-Viking did not know about the $75 entry application and fee or what method of proof of vaccinations will be allowed (email, paper, etc).

Hope this helps people!

• Like 3

Oh - our agent did manage to get us our first choice in flights from SFO to BDA via CLT.  However, the seats are filling up fast - as there are still very few flights into and out of Bermuda.  I wouldn't wait too long.

• Like 1

Jet Blue also has several flights to Bermuda from JFK in New York City, and from Logan in Boston.

I wonder if Viking is contemplating  the use of charter aircraft, as 900 passengers delivered directly to the airport could swamp the place.  Bermuda would usually be an ideal place to play a few rounds of golf over a few days

We are booked on the July 13 sailing. Got our flight confirmations today and can’t wait. We have a TA, but on this cruise we’re using Viking Air and Viking excursions. I trust Viking and I’m confident they will handle all the details in an efficient manner. I hope everyone will follow all the protocols and have fun. 

3 hours ago, Cienfuegos said:

Jet Blue also has several flights to Bermuda from JFK in New York City, and from Logan in Boston.

I wonder if Viking is contemplating  the use of charter aircraft, as 900 passengers delivered directly to the airport could swamp the place.  Bermuda would usually be an ideal place to play a few rounds of golf over a few days

Someone posted that the Welcome Back cruises are sailing at 50% capacity -- 450 people (225 cabins). No wonder they sold out so quickly.

1 hour ago, Cienfuegos said:

Thanks.   Still, that's almost three 737 / A320 aircraft

Looking at the room inventory, it seems like the sell out is complete.  One room in one class, among several cruises.

Yes indeed!  Our TA let us know that right now there are not many flights from US Mainland to Bermuda each day - like maybe 5.   If we have 400-500 just cruise passengers on those Tuesdays, no wonder the flights are full!!    We managed last night to get flights from SFO-CLT-BDA and return but seat selection is poor!  And they will not be ticketing until 55 days ahead of time, so upgrades (on your own) will likely be gone.  But to us it is worth it!  Viking Air will take care of the whole COVID requirements on either end and that's a big plus in my mind.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

Viking Air will take care of the whole COVID requirements on either end and that's a big plus in my mind.

Are you sure? Have you seen this in writing from a Viking source? I would hate to show up at the airport only to learn that I misunderstood something along the way and haven't done something that I needed to do. In fact, it is my one big fear in all of this.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Are you sure? Have you seen this in writing from a Viking source? I would hate to show up at the airport only to learn that I misunderstood something along the way and haven't done something that I needed to do. In fact, it is my one big fear in all of this.

Agree!  We are already working to make sure that we have dotted our i’s and crossed our t’s.  Right now there are a few things we need to do ahead of the trip and certainly don’t expect Viking to cover those ... get a test, complete a form, upload test results, etc. etc.  And we’ll have to watch as travel restrictions and requirements are evolving and I expect that changes are very likely.  The only thing that seems sure is that Viking will test us on some regular schedule while onboard and they will provide us with testing documents needed for flights home ... and even that is for now!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Peregrina:  hopefully you know by now that we are fairly seasoned travelers.

We do not take anything Viking says literally - but it was nice to hear.  We do not fall for words believe me - we have traveled too often throughout the world the past 40 years.

That being said, we will be sure to get everything down fixed ahead of time and also be ready to go with the flow, so to speak, as the COVID environment and regulations are always changing.

Here's to everyone doing these cruises and hoping that we all share enough information amongst each other to help us all prepare.

MyVikingJourney is now up and running for the Bermuda cruises (likely Iceland also). 

It looks like you will have to make reservations for The Restaurant - at least for dinner.

Other restaurants and excursions will be available for us soon - on some of the earlier cruises they may already be open. 

I noticed that at least on ours, the excursions are still not loaded - most likely Viking is trying to get that all down now.  Plenty of time!!

Just seeing this makes us excited again to begin this "trial test" of cruising in the new COVID world.

Carpe Diem!

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

I noticed that at least on ours, the excursions are still not loaded

Iceland excursions haven't loaded in either.

54 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

It looks like you will have to make reservations for The Restaurant - at least for dinner.

I said this to you on another thread but will repeat it hear for others to hear. A number of people, including me, are reporting that the confirmation e-mails for dinner reservations are being sent to our TA and not to us. If you aren't working with a TA, I have not yet heard where those confirmations are being sent.

If you are trying to invite someone to join you for dinner, the invitation has to be accepted -- impossible to do if the confirmations are going to your TA.

Hopefully they will get this straightened out quickly.

These Bermuda sailings seem like a perfect match to Viking Ocean. Literally my prayer was answered! Bermuda is my favorite beach destination. My friend & I are booked on the June 29 sailing. This will be a glorious return to Viking Ocean( two Trans Atlantic crossings). Two questions I have are: Do we make reservations for The Restaurant onboard or through our travel agent?(that's a new protocol I guess for social distancing & capacity control.) Are these sailing only being sold at 50% capacity?

Edited by Myrtle Ave. Mayhem

7 minutes ago, Myrtle Ave. Mayhem said:

Do we make reservations for The Restaurant onboard or through our travel agent?(that's a new protocol I guess for social distancing & capacity control.) Are these sailing only being sold at 50% capacity?

The word on the street is 50% capacity.

You may make your reservations for The Restaurant immediately on MVJ, the Viking guest interface https://viking.com/myjourney

The World Cafe is open seating.

I did read on MVJ that the Restaraunt is open for breakfast , lunch and dinner. On my last cruise we did have lunch there  some days. We opted for a shared table , enjoying conversation with fellow passengers.   

For dinner in restaraunt we  usually just showed up  and never really had to wait for a table for four. We like eating later around 8.

But in this new  saling during a pandemic, I assume shared tables are not options and reservations are needed for dinner. We plan to wait till  close to sailing or even on board. We want to make our reservations  for  the speciailty restaraunts  first. 

3 hours ago, Azulann said:

I did read on MVJ that the Restaurant is open for breakfast , lunch and dinner.

I think that is just a general statement. In the past the Restaurant was not necessarily open for lunch every day.

A lot of people are making dining reservations now with the idea that they can cancel them once make their specialty reservations.

There will be shared tables but I think that we have to do the match making. On the reservations for the TR, we had a choice of table for 2 or Invite someone.

1 hour ago, Peregrina651 said:

I think that is just a general statement. In the past the Restaurant was not necessarily open for lunch every day.

A lot of people are making dining reservations now with the idea that they can cancel them once make their specialty reservations.

There will be shared tables but I think that we have to do the match making. On the reservations for the TR, we had a choice of table for 2 or Invite someone.

My  first cruise on Viking was a transatlantic. We had 6 sea days in a row. That is when when we had lunch in TR. So many options for enjoying lunch or dinner on Viking. And then of course there is tea in the Wintergarden.!!!!! 

I feel a little overloaded right now.  Last Saturday I was contemplating   flying  to Florida to see friends in late May, first outing beyond my city in over a year. 

Today I am thinking about all the options  on my  Viking Cruise in July while sailing around Bermuda. 

I am still working on , yes I am really going to go on a cruise this summer!!!!!!! 😁

48 minutes ago, Azulann said:

My  first cruise on Viking was a transatlantic. We had 6 sea days in a row. That is when when we had lunch in TR. So many options for enjoying lunch or dinner on Viking. And then of course there is tea in the Wintergarden.!!!!! 

I feel a little overloaded right now.  Last Saturday I was contemplating   flying  to Florida to see friends in late May, first outing beyond my city in over a year. 

Today I am thinking about all the options  on my  Viking Cruise in July while sailing around Bermuda. 

I am still working on , yes I am really going to go on a cruise this summer!!!!!!! 😁

Trans Atlantic crossings on Viking Ocean are the best! All those sea days to enjoy shipboard. My two VO sailings were TA's. Enjoyed dining breakfast, lunch, & dinner in TR. For me, Viking Sky was the destination!

Edited by Myrtle Ave. Mayhem
  • Like 1