Bermuda Escape Cruises - insights, information, and more just on Bermuda

CCWineLover

I know this is way to far in advance to worry about and things will change but I am looking for some analysis and interpretation.

From the Bermuda government website, this is the testing requirement for traveling to Bermuda:

Visitors must take a PCR COVID-19 test and obtain a negative result no more than five days before arrival. The day of testing is day 0..... Test results must be entered as part of the online travel authorization process and be presented upon arrival in Bermuda. Visitors without a pre-departure test will not be able to obtain Travel Authorisation and enter Bermuda.

It is very poorly worded.  Do you have to get the actual TEST done no more than 5 days before arrival (and is this 120 hrs before your plane arrives or is it 5 calendar days) or do you have to have the negative RESULTS no more than 5 days before arrival?  If we are arriving on June 15 at 1pm, what is the latest we can get the test?  

8 minutes ago, JM0115 said:

I know this is way to far in advance to worry about and things will change but I am looking for some analysis and interpretation.

From the Bermuda government website, this is the testing requirement for traveling to Bermuda:

Visitors must take a PCR COVID-19 test and obtain a negative result no more than five days before arrival. The day of testing is day 0..... Test results must be entered as part of the online travel authorization process and be presented upon arrival in Bermuda. Visitors without a pre-departure test will not be able to obtain Travel Authorisation and enter Bermuda.

It is very poorly worded.  Do you have to get the actual TEST done no more than 5 days before arrival (and is this 120 hrs before your plane arrives or is it 5 calendar days) or do you have to have the negative RESULTS no more than 5 days before arrival?  If we are arriving on June 15 at 1pm, what is the latest we can get the test?  

I've been struggling with this a bit too.  Best I can tell, if we're arriving on a Tuesday, then Thursday is Day 0 if Tuesday is Day 5, right?  So we test on Thursday, and results have to be returned so that we can upload them no more than 24 hours before our 'travel date' so does that have us uploading (a PDF?) to their site on Sunday (by 8:00 p.m.) at the latest to be safe? Does our travel date start at 00:01 on Tuesday?  I suspect it's safer to assume the 24 hour clock starts then rather than 24 hours before our flight is set to land.  

I'm sure as our dates approach Viking will give us exact instructions, so I'm not too worried, but these are the things I'm wondering about now.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Azulann said:

Here is an  article about Viking cruising  Bermuda, June and July.

https://www.royalgazette.com/tourism/news/article/20210408/homeporting-could-provide-40m-boost/

This was a good article.  Something mentioned that never occurred to me:

"He said the Government was confident that Bermuda was capable of stocking a vessel such as the Viking Orion, which would have a full crew but a passenger capacity of around 450."

I wonder how much more expensive it will be for Viking to provision out of Bermuda (and Iceland for that matter) all summer, not to mention the restrictions it may place on some of the menu choices.  Quite a challenge for the Food & Beverage folks.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Azulann said:

https://www.royalgazette.com/tourism/news/article/20210408/homeporting-could-provide-40m-boost/

Also  check  out April 21 article about Covid restrictions currently.

More news from minster's office  will come on Sunday.

Yikes!  This is concerning.  There will be passengers that will fake a vaccination card.  All it takes is three to show positive and it appears the entire vessel compliment will have to go into 14 quarantine:

• ”The protocol is out of say 500 passengers, if three test positive, they treat that as an outbreak,” he said. “They would treat it as though everybody was positive.”

(My first wife and her sister used to refer to me as “the prophet of doom”... And it irked them that I was usually right.)

2 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Yikes!  This is concerning.  There will be passengers that will fake a vaccination card.  All it takes is three to show positive and it appears the entire vessel compliment will have to go into 14 quarantine:

Yes, and if you read the comments, the islanders are concerned about this as well wondering which airline is going to agree to fly us all out of there if that happens.  They're also really concerned about the children on the Royal Caribbean cruises, and thank goodness we don't have to contend with that.

And imagine the ripple effect if the June 15th cruise goes into quarantine.  The ship would be out of service for a considerable time to make sure it was devoid og viruses.  So three cases on-board could wipe out 3 or 4 cruises.  And likely many would cancel on the remaining cruise.  I hope Viking could afford that...

They better have an extremely reliable system for vetting pax proof of vaccination.

3 hours ago, st5310 said:

But wait, there's more... the Viking chat lady informed me that the in-cabin mini-bar is replenished every day, including alcoholic beverages which she confirmed are also complimentary, even in a Penthouse Veranda. 

And if you let your cabin steward know your preferences (or you can leave a note on the fridge) they will restock with your preferred beverages.  My daughter likes a gin and tonic now and then so we ask that they stock the fridge with that and a diet coke here and there for me.  You will also find a complementary bottle of champagne in the fridge when you arrive at the Penthouse Veranda level.  If you call housekeeping they will bring you a bucket of ice and chances are your stewards will refresh the ice twice daily when they service the room.  Prepare to be spoiled!  

17 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

If that rule of three positive pax, or crew, means an end to the cruise, and possible 14 day quarantine, I just don’t see these cruises as tenable.

Glad all my flights are cancelable...

Right you are Raggy.  Nothing will work until the powers that be accept the fact that covid will be with us just like Bubonic Plague, and even Spanish flu.  It will never be completely eradicated.  Those others from the past grab a body or two every year.  Do we want to live like 2020 for the rest of our days?  I certainly don't.  The chance of those with the vax dying from covid are as near to nil as is practically possible. It is time to stand up to the various bureaucracies and simply say "NO".  Again, get the vax, treat the sick, and get on with life. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, molymoo said:

And if you let your cabin steward know your preferences (or you can leave a note on the fridge) they will restock with your preferred beverages.  My daughter likes a gin and tonic now and then so we ask that they stock the fridge with that and a diet coke here and there for me.  You will also find a complementary bottle of champagne in the fridge when you arrive at the Penthouse Veranda level.  If you call housekeeping they will bring you a bucket of ice and chances are your stewards will refresh the ice twice daily when they service the room.  Prepare to be spoiled!  

Right you are.  And to the ice service, being from a hot place, we had two of their little buckets delivered three times daily.  No problemo.  Yes, we put ice in everything.  And my Mother is English.  I drink pints over there so avoid the ice issue.  Average pub in the UK will put one or maybe two cubes in a mixed drink upon request......🍹

14 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

And imagine the ripple effect if the June 15th cruise goes into quarantine.  The ship would be out of service for a considerable time to make sure it was devoid og viruses.  So three cases on-board could wipe out 3 or 4 cruises.  And likely many would cancel on the remaining cruise.  I hope Viking could afford that...

They better have an extremely reliable system for vetting pax proof of vaccination.

FWIW ... Falsifying a vaccine card is a crime and doing so makes you subject to fines and/or imprisonment.  That doesn't mean people won't try it but not sure it would be worth the risk ... just get the darn shot!!

Title 18 United States Code, Section 1017:

"Whoever fraudulently or wrongfully affixes or impresses the seal of any department or agency of the United States, to or upon any certificate, instrument, commission, document, or paper or with knowledge of its fraudulent character, with wrongful or fraudulent intent, uses, buys, procures, sells, or transfers to another any such certificate, instrument, commission, document, or paper, to which or upon which said seal has been so fraudulently affixed or impressed, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than five years, or both."

• Like 1

Right Mollymoo.  Someone was saying just yesterday that there is a criminal on the internet selling fake CDC cards for $200.  The talking head actually made sense saying "$200?  The shots are free". Why would anyone do this?  But then there are folks with fake passports, drivers licenses, you name it, a crook will do it......

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jim Avery said:

Right Mollymoo.  Someone was saying just yesterday that there is a criminal on the internet selling fake CDC cards for $200.  The talking head actually made sense saying "$200?  The shots are free". Why would anyone do this?  But then there are folks with fake passports, drivers licenses, you name it, a crook will do it......

Sadly so, Jim.  THink of all those anti-vaxers who still want to travel but believe the vaccines will change their DNA in a bad way. They would likely pay $200.

1 hour ago, Azulann said:

Yikes is right, as Ragnar says.  This does not bode well at all.   3 is all to shut everything down????

They are still running around in fear, aren't they.

Sounds though like Viking was hatching this as early as last November too . .

"Although Royal Caribbean was the first to announce it was homeporting in Bermuda, he said Viking has been “the impetus” of the concept in November."

"He added that airlines serving Bermuda had been asked to increase their available seating on the days passengers come in to board."

" He said the Government was confident that Bermuda was capable of stocking a vessel such as the Viking Orion, which would have a full crew but a passenger capacity of around 450.

Mr Scott said he expected its passenger capacity to “increase a little each week” – and that the ship would be able to contain Covid-19 among passengers who got sick.

“The protocol is out of say 500 passengers, if three test positive, they treat that as an outbreak,” he said. “They would treat it as though everybody was positive.”

1 hour ago, Azulann said:

Viking cruising some how always managed to get their things straight and going. I cant remember a day (aside from Covid situation) when it was a bad time for them to operate 

• Like 1

HA, nervous Nellies  might just cancel or maybe not.🙃

Others, like myself ,  as intial  trekkers  going on  the Viking Cruises in June and July  will find other things to dream about on this wonderful forthcoming cruise. 

Relax.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Perhaps they can change that to “three different groups of pax traveling together”, from three passengers.  E.g. three independent couples.

It sounds kinda weird if you ask me. Three independent couples equals to 6 people in total anyway