Jump to content

Cruise ships evacuate residents of St. Vincent's


lolane1
 Share

Recommended Posts

Volcano just erupted about half an hour ago.  I was up in the middle of the night watching  the news. They said eruption was imminent. I guess they were right.  Celebrity Reflection and Serenade of the Seas were assisting in the evacuation.  It was chaotic.  Prayers for those affected. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good press for the cruise industry too.

 

If St. Vincent was a US territory I wonder if the CDC would have let the cruise ships help? Yes, that's definitely a snarky question.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

to be allowed on board, only those that can show proof of a ... nevermind

 

now what will happen if a 'rona outbreak occurs on one of those ships ??? or have all crew still onboard been vac'd ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

All the best to everyone involved on that island.  The people, the first responders, the ships that are evacuating, the crews, hope no one dies.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So sorry to hear this news.  We visited there in 2010 on a Princess "Circle the Caribbean" cruise on the Grand.  We took a guided hike and bought some spices in town (it's known as the "Spice Island," I believe).

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, BarbinMich said:

So sorry to hear this news.  We visited there in 2010 on a Princess "Circle the Caribbean" cruise on the Grand.  We took a guided hike and bought some spices in town (it's known as the "Spice Island," I believe).

Did you know about the volcano on your cruise;  did the tour guide mention it?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, voljeep said:

to be allowed on board, only those that can show proof of a ... nevermind

 

now what will happen if a 'rona outbreak occurs on one of those ships ??? or have all crew still onboard been vac'd ?

The islands accepting evacuees are requiring vaccinations.

 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/st-vincent-volcano-eruption-1.5980633

 

Paragraph 5.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, AF-1 said:

Did you know about the volcano on your cruise;  did the tour guide mention it?

I don't recall, but then it was over 10 years ago and many cruises to the Caribbean since <g>.  I see that the volcano is at the north end of the island, while the port is at the south end so I doubt we were near it when we were there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: PONANT Cruises & Expeditions
      • Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with American Queen Voyages
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...