Cruise (Pearl) cancellation & inability to use CruiseNext

ogredave

Wanted to see if anyone else was in the same 'boat' and was able to get a better result.

Norwegian cancelled sailings on the Pearl and suggested sailing on the Jade instead.  This cancellation went through yesterday.  Turns out it will cost over $125 more per person for the same room.  So we downgrade, now it's $75 more per person.

My original booking was over a year in advance.  Now its about 150 days.  They won't allow me to use both my CruiseNext certificates that were used on the original booking.  This is literally the same sail dates and same port.  The rule to use 2 certificates is 180+ days.  But this is their doing, not mine.

I called in and asked for it to be applied and they said this has been raised and no exceptions will be made.  So because they cancelled a ship they didn't have to, I now have to pay $400 more for 2 people.  In a worse room.

I'm pretty frustrated with this, it's been like the 3rd cancellation.  Leaning towards throwing away the extra certificate and never sailing NCL again. 

Any advice on how to get a better result?  This seems quite unfair.

I called them for the exact same sailing and the person I spoke to was sympathetic, but not helpful. They pointed me to this site and said to reach out to guest relations: https://www.ncl.com/case-submission

They said all 3,000+ of these types of calls/complaints will be handled on a case-by-case basis and you had to plead your case to the cruising gods for mercy. I filled out the form, not expecting a response from them for at least 3 weeks, and I'm expecting the cut/paste PR answer of "thank you for your interest in sailing with NCL. Your safety is our upmost concern, and we welcome you to rebook on the Jade at the current promotions being offered of 30% off with 5 free offers" (which has been the same non-promo for the past 6+ months).

Hope for the best, expect the worst, and start price checking other cruise lines. RCC has a decent itinerary going to most of the same islands in October, but on a less than appealing (to us) ship, Celebrity and MSC also have Greek cruises but again - not as good an itinerary or price to make me run and book those instead.

Hopefully you weren't like us and didn't lock yourself into non-refundable flights. One way or another I'm headed to Europe this fall. I can change my flights, but not cancel them, so I'm stuck with business class tickets to Greece at the moment.

2 minutes ago, Sailing12Away said:

Hope for the best, expect the worst, and start price checking other cruise lines. RCC has a decent itinerary going to most of the same islands in October, but on a less than appealing (to us) ship, Celebrity and MSC also have Greek cruises but again - not as good an itinerary or price to make me run and book those instead.

Hopefully you weren't like us and didn't lock yourself into non-refundable flights. One way or another I'm headed to Europe this fall. I can change my flights, but not cancel them, so I'm stuck with business class tickets to Greece at the moment.

I hope they are reasonable but thanks for the tip, will fill that out too. 

My flights both times were purchased with points.  This was a cruise out of Puerto RIco the first time around.  So they have continually put me in a position of holding more and more credit.  Hotels are the easiest thing to deal with, but flights is another story.

To have no leniency during Covid when they are the ones that created this specific situation seems quite unreasonable.

11 minutes ago, Katie H said:

Try going to this site:

https://www.elliott.org/

Click on Company Contacts.  Then scroll down and read and follow their instructions - start at the bottom of the food chain, don't write to the CEO first, etc.  Then click on Cruise Lines and Norwegian for the list of contacts.

Good Luck.

Thanks .. I took a look and the listed contacts are all C / VP level execs.  There really isn't a bottom of the food chain listed other than to submit a form.

Who did you mean by bottom of the food chain?

Edited by ogredave

1 minute ago, ogredave said:

Thanks .. I took a look and the listed contacts are all C / VP level execs.  There really isn't a bottom of the food chain listed other than to submit a form.

Who did you mean by bottom of the food chain?

They list one as first contact, so I would start there.  I have never had to do this, but I read on the site and see some people get results.  Their advice is good about keeping it short and sweet - and polite.  State the problem and what solution you are looking for.  No threats about never sailing with them again.  You could even contact Elliott to see if they are willing to take your case.  This does seem really unfair and no big deal for NCL to allow you to use the certificates.

9 minutes ago, Katie H said:

They list one as first contact, so I would start there.  I have never had to do this, but I read on the site and see some people get results.  Their advice is good about keeping it short and sweet - and polite.  State the problem and what solution you are looking for.  No threats about never sailing with them again.  You could even contact Elliott to see if they are willing to take your case.  This does seem really unfair and no big deal for NCL to allow you to use the certificates.

Ok, I see what you mean about the Primary Contact.  I'll give it a shot.  Thanks again.

Just got a response back from NCL regarding my guest relations inquiry I sent them. I'm surprised it came this fast, but sadly not surprised by the response. Essentially they're saying "too bad, other guests are fine with rebooking at the current rate and current rules so you should be too".

I'm just looking for them to give me the 10% off I'm entitled to for them cancelling the Pearl on me and to let me use at least one of my CN certificates. They didn't address either of those questions.

image.thumb.png.aed4e1ff46922957efd5e911d79a99fe.png