NCL, Oceania, Regent asks guests to Lobby Congress

PaulMCO

3 minutes ago, TrulyBlonde said:

My problem in trying to respond either on FB or Twitter is that I rid myself of both of these after you know who was banned.  I did however reply to the CLIA one about a week ago.

Just use the second link for Oceania -- goes to web page.   I also closed my Twitter account.

Edited by PaulMCO
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

cruise lines should not ask potential guests to involve in politics.  It is WRONG?
oceania should respect the CDC rulings. The CDC doesn’t make their recommendations without good reason.  CDC aim is to protect Americans.  

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

My spouse wants to cancel future cruises.  

Easy thing to do. Just call your TA . 

This is a test. Is the CDC the final authority on cruising? 

If so, contacting elected representatives is a waste of time.

If not, then that higher authority might be persuaded to examine a broader set of criteria than is in the CDC’s purview.

Time will tell. If you don’t want to cruise, cancellation is easy. Many of the cruises have waitlists with people wanting that spot you’re holding.

• Like 6

18 hours ago, Redtravel said:

My spouse wants to cancel future cruises.  

That's certainly your choice. Others of us WANT to cruise and we're willing to get involved, political or otherwise.....JMHO

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, hmorrow said:

That's certainly your choice. Others of us WANT to cruise and we're willing to get involved, political or otherwise.....JMHO

I just wonder what data one would present that hasn't already be given. Would people just whine?

I truly don't understand the outrage. Contacting your elected representatives is one of the ways our system works. If you don't agree with what the cruise lines are wanting, contact the same people and let them know your point of view. 

For some odd reason I don't find this a political issue. 

Edited by ORV
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

The datum is my vote.  What other data do politicians react to?

Ah, I see. So basically tell them that you won't vote to re-elect them if they don't work to open cruising? What if they support more important issues? Cause let's face it, a vacation on a cruise ship IMO should be way, WAY down the list.

• Like 4

Just now, clo said:

Ah, I see. So basically tell them that you won't vote to re-elect them if they don't work to open cruising? What if they support more important issues? Cause let's face it, a vacation on a cruise ship IMO should be way, WAY down the list.

You have your opinion.  I have mine.  That's how democracy works.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Host Jazzbeau said:

You have your opinion.  I have mine.  That's how democracy works.

Oh my. So you think that cruising is more important than, say, homelessness? Hunger? Please explain how "that how democracy works."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, clo said:

Oh my. So you think that cruising is more important than, say, homelessness? Hunger? Please explain how "that how democracy works."

Everyone gets one vote.  Harvard PhD?–one vote.  High School dropout?–one vote.  You?–one vote.  Me?–one vote.  Your vote can cancel mine, but your voice can't cancel my right to speak.

Also, the world isn't so zero sum that there is only one issue.  So politicians need to be reminded of all the issues that voters care about.  Please explain how allowing cruising to resume would hurt homelessness and hunger.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, clo said:

I just wonder what data one would present that hasn't already be given. Would people just whine?

We were looking forward to trying Oceania to Bermuda and it is sadly not to be. Cruising is not our be or end all but for some people it seems that it is. If you find  it so distasteful that citizens.....or at least the tax paying citizens are voicing their opinions on the cruising state of affairs in this country by contacting their representatives, you are still free to do the exact same thing with your opinions and lots of links and quotes. Hopefully,  you are also opening up your home to house  the people and feed the people who are  being impacted that you often mention. It is an admirable thing to do since you appear to believe that travel is not yet safe. This passive/ aggressive stance is becoming irritating. Cruise Critic is for people who are interested in cruising in all of it's forms and not for attempts at cutesy guilt trip prodding.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

On 4/10/2021 at 9:44 AM, clo said:

that's the whole point- the data keeps changing, and therefore loses credibility. And once again, we're free to whine, if we want to......

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Please explain how allowing cruising to resume would hurt homelessness and hunger.

My point here is only about threatening a member of congress that if they don't support a restart to cruising that one won't vote for them. If one doesn't vote for someone who represents many of the things that they really do care passionately about because they don't come out in favor cruising resuming...well, as I said before one is voting for a vacation rather than perhaps life and death situations.

7 minutes ago, clo said:

My point here is only about threatening a member of congress that if they don't support a restart to cruising that one won't vote for them. If one doesn't vote for someone who represents many of the things that they really do care passionately about because they don't come out in favor cruising resuming...well, as I said before one is voting for a vacation rather than perhaps life and death situations.

"threatening a member of congress" – your words, not mine.  I am defending letting my representatives know how I feel about this issue at this time.  At other times I let them know how I feel about other issues.  Senate terms are 6 years long – do you feel I should wait until just before election day and then only communicate about one single most important issue?  I think it's my right – my duty even – to communicate about every issue before Congress that I have a strong opinion about.  Otherwise how is our democracy 'representative' if my representatives don't know how their constituents feel?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

"threatening a member of congress" – your words, not mine.  I am defending letting my representatives know how I feel about this issue at this time.  At other times I let them know how I feel about other issues.  Senate terms are 6 years long – do you feel I should wait until just before election day and then only communicate about one single most important issue?  I think it's my right – my duty even – to communicate about every issue before Congress that I have a strong opinion about.  Otherwise how is our democracy 'representative' if my representatives don't know how their constituents feel?

I used the work "threatening" only because I thought people were talking about notifying their congressperson that they wouldn't vote for them if they didn't support a return to cruising. If you're saying that you just want to let them know what you think, then I apologize. No, that's not a threat.

Just now, clo said:

I used the work "threatening" only because I thought people were talking about notifying their congressperson that they wouldn't vote for them if they didn't support a return to cruising. If you're saying that you just want to let them know what you think, then I apologize. No, that's not a threat.

Did you read the email that they want people to send? If you click on the link in the first comment you can see it without sending the email. It reads "I am ready to start cruising again. Cruises are occurring successfully around the globe already without major issues.  Please let us enjoy cruising as soon as possible."

• Like 7

On 4/11/2021 at 3:05 PM, patty1955 said:

Did you read the email that they want people to send? If you click on the link in the first comment you can see it without sending the email. It reads "I am ready to start cruising again. Cruises are occurring successfully around the globe already without major issues.  Please let us enjoy cruising as soon as possible."

They did encourage you to change it.  So form letter text it was (I did change it) --  but my Congressman already responded in a form like letter too but tailored to the cruising issue.

Dear Mr. PaulMCO,

Thank you for contacting me in support of lifting the Centers for Disease Control’s (CDC) Framework for Conditional Sailing Order (CSO). Like you, I support efforts to safely reopen our economy. 

As you may know, the CDC issued the CSO on October 30, 2020. This order established a phased approach to re-initiating the cruise industry including testing requirements and increased health and safety protections for crew members and passengers. The order is set to remain in effect until the order is rescinded by the CDC, the COVID-19 public health emergency concludes, or November 1, 2021.

On April 2, 2021, the CDC issued further guidance on the safety measures cruise lines will need to take in order to begin sailing again. This guidance includes requirements for testing all crew members for COVID-19 and having testing sites on their vessels for passengers.

Although I am not aware of any legislation introduced in the 117th Congress that would counteract the CSO, I agree with you that it is critical that we empower industries to safely reopen.  Each individual must manage their own risk and the federal government should not mandate closures.  Moving forward, therefore, I will continue to support efforts that re-open our economy and trust each individual to make the decisions that are best for them free from excessive government interference.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact me.
  • Thanks 1