Questions about transatlantic/pacific cruises

Let me add our experience in Hawaii in 2004 when X was doing 7 days from Ensenada.  We took a helicopter tour in Kauai and then hired a taxi to take us around the island.   We fell in love with Kauai so much that the next year we flew there and stayed on the north shore in a beautiful townhouse.  

On the big island we took a tour (we always do independent tours) with 6 people in a little van and did the volcano national park and that was a wonderful day.  We went all over it.   The next day we were in Kona and the same van and same people and tour company drove us to a hike on the waterfall and the afternoon we spent browsing Kona.

Maui was over night.   We rented a car and drove the road to Hana and past it to the 7 beaches.  That was lovely.  We stopped where we wanted to all along the way.   Did a luau that night, and then went to bed early.   Woke up at 2 am and took the shuttle (we were tendered and yes there are tenders running all the time) to a place where we drove to the top of Haleakala.   Got outfitted with bikes and then at sunrise we rode the 38 miles down to the beach.   Literally all downhill and such a great time.  We'd do it again.   Halfway down we stopped for a buffet breakfast.   

Next time we go the golf clubs come along and that's what will happen every port stop.  

On 4/9/2021 at 3:27 PM, txflood33 said:

So my wife and I pulled the trigger today and used the FCC from our Covid cancelled cruise and booked Vancouver to Hawaii Sept '22. AQ class in 1639 on the Eclipse.

I really haven’t been on these boards since our cruise was cancelled so out of the loop on where ships went, if drydocks were cancelled due to loss of revenue, etc. I do follow Capt Kate in Instagram and she is awesome.

We have never been on the Eclipse, so that is a plus there...new boat. Does anyone know if the Eclipse made it to drydock or are they(X) discussing future reschedules?

I have never done a transpacific cruise and know I am going to get bored with 5 consecutive days at sea, What is different on the boat with that many consecutive sea days? I would assume some people would start getting cabin fever, no pun intended. Are there different activities planned...or just more time slots? 

Any info on the cabin? 

Thanks in advance. I look forward to start dipping my toes back in, so to speak

Since Eclipse is a 2010 build, she is due for her 2nd special survey before returning to operations, in order to remain in Class.

I believe I read that she completed a drydocking last month, possibly as one of the many RCI ships docking in Cadiz.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

We have done 9 transatlantics and 2 transpacifics so far. We were booked to leave for a Sydney to LA transpacific in 2 days when COVID cancellations hit. Although we have cruised most often on Princess for these we have also done long cruises on Cunard, Holland America, Costa, MSC, Celebrity, and Carnival so have experienced a variety of onboard activities. As mentioned before, there are usually some very interesting lecturers on the sea days. We've done a variety of arts and crafts, book clubs, afternoon tea, dance lessons (hula lessons when cruising into Hawaii), contests and games of all sorts, exercise classes, demonstrations by spa and beauty shop personnel, Q & A with ships officers and crew, afternoon movies, karoke competitions, and even had a planetarium on Queen Mary 2. You can be as busy as you like or just enjoy the quiet of sitting on the deck or your balcony with a book. We love the sea days and are now booked for another transatlantic in March 2022. We've been very fortunate and have never had really rough seas on any of our crossings. Enjoy your cruise!

• 1 month later...
On 4/10/2021 at 6:40 PM, downsmead said:

I remember that one well, we were also on that cruise. We certainly made the best of it 👍😂

Yes, we did!  I’ve instigated Cards Against Humanity on the Roll Call for our October TA from Rome, and a few others are bringing decks (one is a Star Wars deck).

• 3 months later...
On 4/10/2021 at 6:31 PM, mhbtravel said:

I have done a Transpacific from Honolulu to Australia, and it was one of my favorite journeys.  Plenty to do on sea days.

Oh that sounds great! Which cruise line and ship? Did you post a review? I'd love to hear more about it. Thanks.

On 6/20/2021 at 8:53 AM, Jazzbo said:

Yes, we did!  I’ve instigated Cards Against Humanity on the Roll Call for our October TA from Rome, and a few others are bringing decks (one is a Star Wars deck).

I have to ask--what is Cards Against Humanity? I'll be on a TA Rome to Fort Lauderdale in Oct. 2022. Is it hard to learn?

On 9/26/2021 at 1:12 PM, BAYA said:

I have to ask--what is Cards Against Humanity? I'll be on a TA Rome to Fort Lauderdale in Oct. 2022. Is it hard to learn?

It is the Card Game for Horrible People. It is very easy to learn. There are black cards with questions and white ones with answers. Everyone starts with a certain number of white cards. The first person to start draws a black question card and reads the question. Every other player selects an answer from their white cards and places it face down in a stack, which gets shuffled face down. Then the player with the black question card turns them over one at a time and reads the answers, generally causing groans, giggles, hysterical laughter, and/or eye rolls. The player with the black question card chooses his/her favorite answer, and that player gets the black question card. The first player who gets 5 black cards wins. But the questions and answers can be (and usually are) offensive and/or politically incorrect. Men, women, gays, lesbians, white, black, Christians, Jews, Muslims, etc. are all targets. For example, one of the answer cards is “Two midgets sh**ting in a bucket.”