What cruise would you do again?

I propose some positivity to take us away from all the doom of gloom (for which I feel a little responsible).  Of all the cruises you have done in the past - which one would you do again and why?

For myself, I'm going to cheat and put the AUS-NZL cruises aside because plainly I am repeating these as I've done two and have another planned for 2022.  These are just easy and on most of the ports I catch up with friends.

The one I would love to do again and would recommend to anyone is the trip around Japan that we did on the Celebrity Millennium.  It was very easy to do our own excursions as the trains in Japan are very reliable.  The Japanese people were very friendly.  It was clean and safe.  Also, the food was fantastic.

• Like 2

Just now, windsor26 said:

76 days inaugural Pacific Circle we did in 2008 in the better direction on the old Sun Princess

Oh wow.  76 days.  The longest I've done is 14.  Do you have more of a weekly schedule - like desserts only on Fridays and Saturdays or alcohol free days?  I could see myself putting on a lot of weight.

Around Cape Horn, Buenos Aires to LA. - 30 days.  Did it on Golden Princess in March 2014.

Highly recommended. But take a week in Argentina pre cruise re the city, Igauzu Falls, etc.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, onlyslightlymad said:

Oh wow.  76 days.  The longest I've done is 14.  Do you have more of a weekly schedule - like desserts only on Fridays and Saturdays or alcohol free days?  I could see myself putting on a lot of weight.

Yes  we had traditional dining with a large table and the ladies usually only had sweets at the weekend to try to keep things down.   The members of our large table are still in touch with each other with visits and lunches  such a great trip 

• Like 2

Like you, onlyslightlymad, we do regular NZ cruises to catch up with family and friends there.

However the one cruise we would happily repeat is the 35 night Hawaii/Tahiti cruise round trip from Sydney. We did it in 2019 and loved it so have booked it again for 2023.

We're also booked to do the Round Australia cruise next year. We did the Top End a few years ago and loved it, so I'm sure we'll enjoy the full circumnavigation and it may become another cruise we'd happily repeat.

As you might be able to guess by now we love long cruises with lots of sea days. 😊

13 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Like you, onlyslightlymad, we do regular NZ cruises to catch up with family and friends there.

However the one cruise we would happily repeat is the 35 night Hawaii/Tahiti cruise round trip from Sydney. We did it in 2019 and loved it so have booked it again for 2023.

We're also booked to do the Round Australia cruise next year. We did the Top End a few years ago and loved it, so I'm sure we'll enjoy the full circumnavigation and it may become another cruise we'd happily repeat.

As you might be able to guess by now we love long cruises with lots of sea days. 😊

Yes we do too!  I'd love to do the Round Australia.  I do not know Australia well at all.  I went there when I was a child to visit my uncle in the Blue Mountains and then didn't visit again for thirty years until my father died on the Sunshine Coast so went for his funeral.  Then in the last few years, the cruises and a couple of conferences ( hotels are like airports they could be anywhere).  If my January cruise is cancelled, my husband and I have been talking about what to do with the leave he has booked.  We are thinking an Aussie road trip.  I'd like to go to Adelaide.  The only problem is that Jan/Feb is so hot.

Edited by onlyslightlymad

10 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Around Cape Horn, Buenos Aires to LA. - 30 days.  Did it on Golden Princess in March 2014.

Highly recommended. But take a week in Argentina pre cruise re the city, Igauzu Falls, etc.

I really wanted to go to Buenos Aires but, what with one thing and another, Air NZ has stopped flying there.  Also, their economy is taking a dive and by all account BA is not as safe now.

Can I have more than one I'd do again?

Norwegian Coastal Voyage from Bergen  on Hurtigruten ferry

Falkland Islands, South Georgia and Antarctica on Hurtigruten's Fram.

Tromso Norway to Oban Scotland (my last cruise before Covid)

There are about six I'd love to do again!  However, I no longer wish to fly long haul, so I'll be researching Aust/NZ cruises in future!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, onlyslightlymad said:

Yes we do too!  I'd love to do the Round Australia.  I do not know Australia well at all.  I went there when I was a child to visit my uncle in the Blue Mountains and then didn't visit again for thirty years until my father died on the Sunshine Coast so went for his funeral.  Then in the last few years, the cruises and a couple of conferences ( hotels are like airports they could be anywhere).  If my January cruise is cancelled, my husband and I have been talking about what to do with the leave he has booked.  We are thinking an Aussie road trip.  I'd like to go to Adelaide.  The only problem is that Jan/Feb is so hot.

To be honest a cruise isn't the best way to see Australia, it's just too big and you only get one day in each port. But it does give you a taste of the various regions and ports.

Yes, Australia can be very hot in Jan/Feb especially by NZ standards but if you stick to the coastal areas it's not too bad. South Australia is lovely, we recently spent a couple of weeks there doing a five night Murray River cruise, and visiting Hahndorf, Adelaide, McLaren Vale and the coast near there, and Kangaroo Island. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

To be honest a cruise isn't the best way to see Australia, it's just too big and you only get one day in each port. But it does give you a taste of the various regions and ports.

Yes, Australia can be very hot in Jan/Feb especially by NZ standards but if you stick to the coastal areas it's not too bad. South Australia is lovely, we recently spent a couple of weeks there doing a five night Murray River cruise, and visiting Hahndorf, Adelaide, McLaren Vale and the coast near there, and Kangaroo Island. 

Well if we do end up going, I will be plaguing you for advice.

40 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Can I have more than one I'd do again?

Norwegian Coastal Voyage from Bergen  on Hurtigruten ferry

Falkland Islands, South Georgia and Antarctica on Hurtigruten's Fram.

Tromso Norway to Oban Scotland (my last cruise before Covid)

There are about six I'd love to do again!  However, I no longer wish to fly long haul, so I'll be researching Aust/NZ cruises in future!

You can break the rules Marion!  To be honest I have enjoyed all the cruises I've done.  You've been on Hurtigruten.  That's interesting.  I had never even heard of them until I started reading reviews last year.  Obviously, you enjoyed your cruises with them.

Just now, onlyslightlymad said:

Which cruise line did you do that with?  I've heard that solo cruising can be very expensive.

It was on MSC Divina. Had plenty of port stops except for 5 day Atlantic crossing. It was double price for single but the initial price was very cheap (including a basic drink package) which made it more affordable.

Just now, lyndarra said:

It was on MSC Divina. Had plenty of port stops except for 5 day Atlantic crossing. It was double price for single but the initial price was very cheap (including a basic drink package) which made it more affordable.

I've heard such mixed reviews of MSC.  It seems like it's a marmite cruiseline.  People either seem to love it or hate it.

My first cruise was the Inside passage Vancouver to Vancouver on the Noordam and that I think now will be classed as favourite, loved the scenery and the quaint little towns in Alaska 

Cheers Carole

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

I doubt I will leave Australia in future.

So I have to say Tasmania, as it was for a long while an annual event.

and 

Circumnavigation of Aus.

They both sound pretty good.  I think I'll be sticking close to home for the time being too.

30 minutes ago, onlyslightlymad said:

I've heard such mixed reviews of MSC.  It seems like it's a marmite cruiseline.  People either seem to love it or hate it.

It was a bit like that but you get what you pay for. If you go without high expectations you will be less disappointed. Ship was great but crowded, mainly Europeans, which didn't bother me except for public announcements in six languages. Different entertainment. Food was better in buffet than MDR. But that aside, it was the itinerary that was great and that is why I would like to do it again and add a little more time in Miami.

Having done domestic cruises, like circumnavigation of Oz, nz cruise twice, they are a bit boring. I have done land travel to those places too. 

you need to go overseas to asia, europe, the americas for the full culteral experience.

if you can afford it, do it !

12 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Having done domestic cruises, like circumnavigation of Oz, nz cruise twice, they are a bit boring. I have done land travel to those places too. 

you need to go overseas to asia, europe, the americas for the full culteral experience.

if you can afford it, do it !

I've just realised lately how much of my own country I haven't seen.  

I would like to do a family tree trip one day.  See where my ancestors came from.

4 minutes ago, onlyslightlymad said:

I've just realised lately how much of my own country I haven't seen.  

I would like to do a family tree trip one day.  See where my ancestors came from.

For me a true family tree trip means Europe and for health reasons that ain’t going to happen. The only family tree part of Aus that I have yet to get to is Cooktown.

• Like 1

I would like to go on the Antarctic trip again (Antarctica, South Georgia and the Falklands) and also the South American trip (Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco via Cape Horn). However, I don't think I will do these again.

I would also like to go on another World Cruise (booked for 2022) and the Tahiti/Hawaii cruise. Other than those, any cruise will do.