What cruise would you do again?

2 hours ago, onlyslightlymad said:

You can break the rules Marion!  To be honest I have enjoyed all the cruises I've done.  You've been on Hurtigruten.  That's interesting.  I had never even heard of them until I started reading reviews last year.  Obviously, you enjoyed your cruises with them.

Yes, Norwegians are born sailors!  I did another wonderful cruise with them from Greenland to Halifax, Canada, to Miami, USA b2b.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, onlyslightlymad said:

I've just realised lately how much of my own country I haven't seen.  

NZ might be relatively small but it has a lot of fascinating places to visit. I lived in NZ for 40+ years and was lucky to have parents who enjoyed travelling to various parts of the country for holidays. Since I moved to Australia I've taken my husband on a few trips around NZ but we're getting older so over the past few years we have just been doing cruises to catch up with folk there.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

NZ might be relatively small but it has a lot of fascinating places to visit. I lived in NZ for 40+ years and was lucky to have parents who enjoyed travelling to various parts of the country for holidays. Since I moved to Australia I've taken my husband on a few trips around NZ but we're getting older so over the past few years we have just been doing cruises to catch up with folk there.

I agree cruising around NZ is perfect for when you are older, esp for you visiting your relatives.  However NZ being small is perfect for road trips.  Our first visit to NZ was on a car plus accommodation package.  It was perfect, not having to worry about finding accommodation.  Each basic motel had a bottle of fresh milk in the fridge.  A highlight on that trip was having dinner at Huka Lodge.  I dream of staying at one of NZ's unique lodges.  In the meantime, we have stayed at unique beachfront baches.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, onlyslightlymad said:

Which cruise line did you go with?  Might be a retirement cruise for me.

We did it with Ponant.

There are so many luxury lines getting into expedition cruising with new ships there so certainly a lot to choose from (scenic, crystal,Viking)
We also did a Silversea Arctic cruise to Svalbard and Iceland, we preferred Ponant over Silverseas. Not sure if it was the fact that 30% of passengers on our Antarctica cruise were Aussies and therefore had a lovely relaxing laid back vibe, or whether Silversea was just a bit more snooty...

The Ponant ships are also beautiful in comparison to the silver cloud. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

I would like to go on the Antarctic trip again (Antarctica, South Georgia and the Falklands) and also the South American trip (Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco via Cape Horn). However, I don't think I will do these again.

I would also like to go on another World Cruise (booked for 2022) and the Tahiti/Hawaii cruise. Other than those, any cruise will do.

I'd love to repeat my first WC from Sydney to London via South Pacific, Panama, NY, Rotterdam to London. 3 months in UK.  Return via South Africa, India, Ceylon, Freemantle, & Aussie ports to Brisbane.  Complete with streamers in Sydney, Melbourne and Auckland.  

• Like 2

My second best cruise was on Arcadia, in 2012, 7 weeks, Sydney to Southampton via Africa. Great.

Highly recommended. Full worldie too much $ and too long, but half worldie good.

14 minutes ago, NSWP said:

My second best cruise was on Arcadia, in 2012, 7 weeks, Sydney to Southampton via Africa. Great.

Highly recommended. Full worldie too much $ and too long, but half worldie good.

But 1/2 WC you need to fly one way.

32 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I'd love to repeat my first WC from Sydney to London via South Pacific, Panama, NY, Rotterdam to London. 3 months in UK.  Return via South Africa, India, Ceylon, Freemantle, & Aussie ports to Brisbane.  Complete with streamers in Sydney, Melbourne and Auckland.  

Always wanted to do a WC with a few weeks on land in different places, short of a miracle ain;t going to happen now.

3 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

That is what we have done - half world cruises in 2014, 2016 and 2018. My 2020 booking was cancelled ☹️. I am now booked for 2022, Aust to New York, then fly home. I hope that cruise goes ahead.

17 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

I think I would like to do Mississippi river cruise again but 14 days instead of the seven we did in 2017. Seven was too short.

14 days sounds good. What was the view from the ship like over the levee banks?  Where did it stop?  I've visited Mississippi river on road trip. 

At this point, any would be fabulous! I think that my first choice would be the cruise a group of us did from Singapore to Brisbane, via Indonesia, Komodo Island, Timor Leste and lots of other interesting stops. I'm quite sure that a big part of the reason for wanting to repeat that one is that my best friend and original cruising buddy was still alive and with us!

19 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

14 days sounds good. What was the view from the ship like over the levee banks?  Where did it stop?  I've visited Mississippi river on road trip. 

Excellent view from steamboat American Queen. It real steamboat with proper steam engines. Cabins are period furnished, very authentic.

I can't recall the names of all the stops we did but you can check them out here.

https://www.americanqueensteamboatcompany.com/river-cruises/mississippi-river/charms-of-the-south/

On return trips you stop at different ports on the return leg.

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

Those were the days. I remember, as a young boy, being allowed onboard to farewell my Auntie. The bells were rung as a signal to leave the ship, and we held the streamers as the ship left the OPT. Fond memories.

2ad634941080f1dc6a86e7bc33d3087f.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GUT2407 said:

That is ok, we always had a 3 day stopover somewhere, HK/Singapore. Save the coin and fly Premium Economy or Business at the right price.

2 hours ago, lyndarra said:

Excellent view from steamboat American Queen. It real steamboat with proper steam engines. Cabins are period furnished, very authentic.

I can't recall the names of all the stops we did but you can check them out here.

https://www.americanqueensteamboatcompany.com/river-cruises/mississippi-river/charms-of-the-south/

On return trips you stop at different ports on the return leg.

The steamboats look beautiful from the land.  They are great selection of stops.  I've been to New Orleans, Vicksburg and Memphis

Just now, MMDown Under said:

The steamboats look beautiful from the land.  They are great selection of stops.  I've been to New Orleans, Vicksburg and Memphis

plus Natchez.  I like the South of US.  Did you have live music on board?

15 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

A plus with AQSC is they have several coaches meet the boat at each port where they operate as Ho-Ho for the day.

1 minute ago, lyndarra said:

A plus with AQSC is they have several coaches meet the boat at each port where they operate as Ho-Ho for the day.

That is a good idea as US is the land of the car, so you need transport.  We missed the turn into our accommodation on the Mississippi in Memphis.  We had to go miles across a long bridge before we could turn around.  

I've done 65 cruises either solo or with my late husband so it’s hard to choose a favourite! I think one of my favourites would have to be a 31 day cruise on Diamond Princess from Bangkok to Whittier in Alaska. Together with good friends from the US we then rented a car to drive to Denali National Park in Alaska. A wonderful trip! 

Another great cruise was a circumnavigation of South America for 42 days from Florida and back to San Francisco. I enjoyed all the cruises so it's really hard to pick the best! 😊

• Like 1

Hard to pick my absolute favourite but Tromso to Svalbard and back to Iceland was pretty special on Solversea Prince Albert (now Explorer I think). It was only 16 days but full on and a wonderful experience. Would go for it again. Bu then Antarctica was amazing as well though it was on Ponant and if we went again it would be Silversea; better product IMO.