Travel insurance for UK coastal waters cruises

Stu UK

Cover for cruises in UK waters for UK people. This is a minefield once you get into the policy wording. Many cover medical treatment abroad but specifically exclude treatment and repatriation in UK, you have to read the small print in the actual policy not the headlines.  They assume UK means on land and don’t necessarily cover travellers needs in UK waters. 

Cover for You have updated their information for UK only cruises. First company I have seen who have done this.

This is not a recommendation merely pointing out the detail you need to clarify with your own insurers. 

Link below, need to scan down to the Covid questions. 

https://www.coverforyou.com/faqs_travel.php#am-i-covered-for-a-cruise

20 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

Presume if you get insurance via Cunard you'll  be covered, if not Cunard will be liable for mis -selling , could be dearer of course.

Not necessarily. They are suggesting Holiday Extras who have not yet, as far as I am aware, put anything in writing. Their policy wording excludes UK treatments etc. Devil always in the detail with insurance. 

Edited by Stu UK

4 hours ago, Stu UK said:

Not necessarily. They are suggesting Holiday Extras who have not yet, as far as I am aware, put anything in writing. Their policy wording excludes UK treatments etc. Devil always in the detail with insurance. 

HolidayExtras will cover you for single trip policy for these cruises but they are ripping people off with their extortionate prices. Staysure if you have an annual multi trip policy with cruise cover with them they will cover Cunard/P&O/Princess for UK waters but you have to ring them and they will send you an endorsement letter by e-mail giving you cover.

• Thanks 1

Am I missing something, but why would a Brit want medical insurance for travel within the UK?

Including UK waters, because to the best of my knowledge any enforced porting of, or or medivac from, a ship in UK waters is charge-free?

JB 🙂

6 hours ago, John Bull said:

Am I missing something, but why would a Brit want medical insurance for travel within the UK?

Including UK waters, because to the best of my knowledge any enforced porting of, or or medivac from, a ship in UK waters is charge-free?

JB 🙂

If you need medical treatment on board, you need insurance to cover this. The assumption is that U.K. travel is on land and therefore medical treatment is done by the NHS but on board a cruise ship you will be charged for any medical services on board.

46 minutes ago, downsmead said:

If you need medical treatment on board, you need insurance to cover this. The assumption is that U.K. travel is on land and therefore medical treatment is done by the NHS but on board a cruise ship you will be charged for any medical services on board.

Thanks for that - yes I'd over-looked treatment on-board, altho my worldwide insurance covers on-board treatments and I strongly suspect its the same with most cruise insurance. The only time I ever needed on-board treatment, the cost was about the same as my insurance excess so not worth claiming..

But the OP mentioned "Many cover medical treatment abroad but specifically exclude treatment and repatriation in UK" - and, as I mentioned, I don't see any need for travel insurance to cover hospital treatment in a UK hospital.  And for "repatriation" the worst-case scenario is the cost of a train ticket from one end of the country to the other - if the illness or injury precludes public transport the patient will be transferred by NHS or kept in hospital until well enough to travel independently. 

JB 🙂

I've been checking out our Nationwide Flexplus insurance as we are looking at one of the Virgin summer cruises - the small print specifically excludes medical expenses occurred within the home area (england/wales/scotland/northern ireland) even though it is worldwide insurance.

I rang them - the guy on the phone said that there was £10k of cover only for this situation and to watch for any cruise line requiring USA-size medical coverage limits.

Funily enough this also approximately matches the insurance that Virgin are offering - which seems aimed at USA residents rather than brits, and has only $10k of cover for onboard medical expenses. For a 4 day cruise they wanted approx  £150 each with all existing medical conditions excluded 😮

Edited by paul_uk

4 hours ago, paul_uk said:

I've been checking out our Nationwide Flexplus insurance as we are looking at one of the Virgin summer cruises - the small print specifically excludes medical expenses occurred within the home area (england/wales/scotland/northern ireland) even though it is worldwide insurance.

I rang them - the guy on the phone said that there was £10k of cover only for this situation and to watch for any cruise line requiring USA-size medical coverage limits.

Funily enough this also approximately matches the insurance that Virgin are offering - which seems aimed at USA residents rather than brits, and has only $10k of cover for onboard medical expenses. For a 4 day cruise they wanted approx  £150 each with all existing medical conditions excluded 😮

I am really cheesed off about this with Nationwide Flex Plus and P&O. We have been with NW for years and always happy so far. We pay each month towards the cover and pay an extra for an age upgrade for Worldwide Comprehensive travel insurance. Yet we are now forced to go elsewhere and pay yet more for a 3 day cruise in UK waters. Why they can't sort it out between themselves, I do not know!

Edited by Scriv

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/15/2021 at 6:12 PM, Scriv said:

I am really cheesed off about this with Nationwide Flex Plus and P&O. We have been with NW for years and always happy so far. We pay each month towards the cover and pay an extra for an age upgrade for Worldwide Comprehensive travel insurance. Yet we are now forced to go elsewhere and pay yet more for a 3 day cruise in UK waters. Why they can't sort it out between themselves, I do not know!

I’m with NW flex plus and they have now updated their policy to cover £10 million for these cruises. They said they should have something I can print off from my portal at the end of the week. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, delondin said:

I’m with NW flex plus and they have now updated their policy to cover £10 million for these cruises. They said they should have something I can print off from my portal at the end of the week. 

That's brilliant to hear.... please please please can you post on here when you get something. Thank you. You have given me hope.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/1/2021 at 3:53 PM, Scriv said:

That's brilliant to hear.... please please please can you post on here when you get something. Thank you. You have given me hope.

Hi

I logged into my insurance account and clicked on cover and there was a section to download confirmation of cover and it included a letter stating the new amounts specifying UK cruises this year.

• Like 2

On 5/11/2021 at 10:27 AM, delondin said:

Hi

I logged into my insurance account and clicked on cover and there was a section to download confirmation of cover and it included a letter stating the new amounts specifying UK cruises this year.

Thank you muchly.  🙂  I now have downloaded and printed out the said letter referring specifically to our policy and spelling it all out. At last, sorted.

Edited by Scriv
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2021 at 5:05 PM, John Bull said:

JB 🙂

I was told by a customer service agent that I would need at least £2 million cover for the MSC Virtuosa cruise even if it is in UK waters.

• Like 1