Dress for Dinner

MSEm

We are booked on the Constellation Juneau to Juneau cruise for June 12, 2021.  This will be our first ACL cruise.  What is the dress for the evening dinner?  How formal is the dress at night on the ACL ships?

Thanks for the help.

Hi MSEm,

Welcome Aboard,

We have done six cruises aboard ACL ships, and cannot recall ever seeing any formal wear at any meals (except for ship's Officers, on a few rare occasions).  We have seen a couple of men wearing a sport coat or suit (rarely), usually when a birthday/anniversary cake was presented at dessert time, or when they thought it was "the right time".  There have not been any "Formal Nights".  Having said that there is nothing stopping you from "Going All Out" if that is your wish. 

Hoping you enjoy your "ACL Experience" as much as we have ours.

NRayH  

Thank you. My husband may take a sports coat for wear at night. I guess the evening dress will be "country Club or business" dress not jeans.

We have been on some river cruises we worn (and everyone) jeans. We got back from a tour and it was time for dinner.

Know we will need to dress in layers during the day. The Alaskan waters will be cold and therefore the temperatures will be cooler.

21 hours ago, MSEm said:

Thank you. My husband may take a sports coat for wear at night. I guess the evening dress will be "country Club or business" dress not jeans.

We have been on some river cruises we worn (and everyone) jeans. We got back from a tour and it was time for dinner.

Know we will need to dress in layers during the day. The Alaskan waters will be cold and therefore the temperatures will be cooler.

I hope that I did not give you the impression that your husband will "need" to take a sport coat, for the ACL cruise.  I usually do not take one, and have never felt "under-dressed".  Actually, I did pack one for our first ACL cruise but did not wear it.  Since then, I do not pack one, unless I feel that I may want one for possible pre/post cruise events.

NRayH

Thank you. My husband will probably take a sport coat for warmth.  It will be a good change from wearing a vest all day.  In cooler temperatures such as Alaska we usually wear "layers" of long sleeve shirts, maybe a sweater vest and/or a  vest and always our rain/wind jackets on excursions.

He will probaby wear long sleeve collared shirt, sports coat and dress pants.  I usually wear black pants with colorful top and light jacket at night.

5 hours ago, MSEm said:

Thank you. My husband will probably take a sport coat for warmth.  It will be a good change from wearing a vest all day.  In cooler temperatures such as Alaska we usually wear "layers" of long sleeve shirts, maybe a sweater vest and/or a  vest and always our rain/wind jackets on excursions.

He will probaby wear long sleeve collared shirt, sports coat and dress pants.  I usually wear black pants with colorful top and light jacket at night.

MSEm,

You both should be in fine shape (fashion-wise) with what you described.

Enjoy your cruise and let us know your opinions "Post-Cruise".

NRayH

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/11/2021 at 2:47 PM, MSEm said:

Sounds like you will make a well dressed pair perfect for dinner any night on the ship.