Resuming Cruising with a COVID-19 Cruise Ticket Contract

The current cruise ticket contract mentions COVID-19 forty-seven times. And includes a new section solely devoted to addressing COVID-19 Policies, Procedures, and Acceptance of Risks. Here's what you are agreeing to when sailing during the restart. 

4. PUBLIC HEALTH, COVID-19 POLICIES AND PROCEDURES, KNOWING ACCEPTANCE OF THE RISKS

a. Recommended Consultation with Personal Physician. Passengers are encouraged to discuss the advisability of travel with their personal physicians and to review the U.S. Centers for Disease Control (“CDC”) website for updated information. The CDC has identified elderly persons and persons with certain chronic medical conditions as being at increased risk of life-threatening complications from being infected with COVID-19. PASSENGER ACKNOWLEDGES, UNDERSTANDS AND ACCEPTS THAT WHILE ABOARD THE VESSEL, IN TERMINALS AND BOARDING AREAS, OR DURING ACTIVITIES ASHORE AND/ OR WHILE TRAVELING TO OR FROM THE VESSEL, THE PASSENGER OR OTHER PASSENGERS MAY BE EXPOSED TO COMMUNICABLE ILLNESSES, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO COVID-19, INFLUENZA, COLDS AND NOROVIRUS. PASSENGER FURTHER UNDERSTANDS AND ACCEPTS THAT THE RISK OF EXPOSURES TO THESE COMMUNICABLE ILLNESSES AND OTHERS IS INHERENT IN MOST ACTIVITIES WHERE PEOPLE INTERACT OR SHARE COMMON FACILITIES, IS BEYOND CARRIER’S CONTROL, AND CANNOT BE ELIMINATED UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. PASSENGER KNOWINGLY AND VOLUNTARILY ACCEPTS THESE RISKS AS PART OF THIS TICKET CONTRACT, INCLUDING THE RISK OF SERIOUS ILLNESS OR DEATH ARISING FROM SUCH EXPOSURES, AND/OR ALL RELATED DAMAGES, LOSS, COSTS AND EXPENSES OF ANY NATURE WHATSOEVER.

b. Agreement to Abide by Current COVID-19 Policies and Procedures. Carrier’s COVID-19 Policies and Procedures are subject to guidance and directives of established health authorities in the U.S. and other destinations where the Vessel visits, including the CDC and other international, national and local health agencies when the Vessel is within those agencies’ jurisdiction. Passenger acknowledges that these directives may change from time to time and that Carrier’s COVID-19 Policies and Procedures may therefore change. Passenger expressly agrees to comply not only with the COVID-19 Policies and Procedures as they are described herein, but also as they are set forth on Carrier’s website at Page 4 of 16 www.RoyalCaribbean.com, at all times including pre-embarkation, while onboard, during port calls and shore excursions and/or final disembarkation. In case of any conflict between the COVID-19 Policies and Procedures described herein or on Carrier’s website, the website governs. Passenger’s agreement to abide by Carrier’s COVID-19 Policies and Procedures constitutes an integral part of this Ticket Contract.

c. COVID-19 Policies and Procedures. Passenger understands that Carrier’s COVID-19 Policies and Procedures may or will include (but are not be limited to): (1) providing an accurate, truthful and complete health questionnaire in a form and containing any and all health or travel-related questions as required by Carrier in its sole discretion, for each Passenger prior to boarding; (2) pre-embarkation and/or periodic testing and temperature checks of each Passenger; (3) modified capacity rules for activities (including but not limited to restaurants, gyms, and entertainment events onboard and for shore excursions) which may limit or eliminate the ability of Passenger to participate in particular activities; (4) mandatory use by each Passenger (except where medically contraindicated) of face coverings in most locations outside of the Passenger’s cabin while onboard, during embarkation, disembarkation and shore excursions; (5) mandatory social distancing of Passengers at any/all times while on board and during embarkation, disembarkation, and shore excursions; (6) additional restrictions during shore excursions depending on local conditions, including but not limited to denial of disembarkation at destinations unless participating in only Carrier-approved shore excursions; (7) mandatory hand[1]sanitizing by Passenger upon entry or exit of any public areas; (8) confinement of Passengers to cabins, quarantine or emergency disembarkation of Passenger if, in Carrier’s sole discretion, such steps are necessary to prevent or slow the spread of COVID-19; (9) the required completion by Passenger in a timely manner of any written authorizations or consent forms required for Carrier to carry out its COVID-19 Policies and Procedures (including but not limited to medical information, medical privacy, or personal data privacy consent forms), and; (10) other policies and procedures deemed by Carrier in its sole discretion to be necessary to reduce the risk of spread of COVID-19. Passenger acknowledges that: (i) Carrier’s Privacy Policy for Health Protection Measures (“Health Privacy Policy”) is an integral part of Carrier’s COVID-19 Policies and Procedures; (ii) the Health Privacy Policy has been made available to Passenger; and (iii) Passenger agrees to the terms of the Health Privacy Policy.

d. Mandatory Compliance with COVID-19 Policies and Procedures. Notwithstanding any other provision contained herein or in Carrier’s Refund Policy, any noncompliance by Passenger or members of Passenger’s travelling party with Carrier’s COVID-19 Policies and Procedures or this Ticket Contract shall be grounds for refusal to board, refusal to re[1]board after going ashore, quarantine onboard the Vessel, disembarkation, reporting to governmental or health authorities, or other steps deemed necessary in Carrier’s sole discretion under the circumstances to protect the health and well-being of others. Under these circumstances, Passenger shall not be entitled to a refund or compensation of any kind. Passenger will be responsible for all related costs and fines, including without limitation travel expenses and for proper travel documentation for any port, or for departure from or arrival to Passenger’s country of residence. Under no circumstances shall Carrier be liable for any damages or expenses whatsoever incurred by any Passenger as a result of such denial of boarding, refusal to re-board, quarantine, disembarkation, or other steps taken by Carrier.

e. Passenger Testing Positive for COVID-19 Pre-Cruise. Passenger agrees that if at any time within 14 days prior to embarkation, Passenger tests positive for COVID-19, exhibits signs or symptoms of COVID-19, has had close contact with a person confirmed or suspected as having COVID-19, or Carrier otherwise determines in its sole discretion that Passenger is unfit to board because of any communicable illness, Carrier will deny boarding to such Passenger. Under these circumstances, unless Carrier determines that Passenger has failed to comply with Carrier’s COVID-19 Policies and Procedures or this Ticket Contract, any Passenger denied boarding because of a known or suspected infection with COVID-19 will be entitled to a refund or future cruise credit equal in value to the Cruise Fare Passenger paid to Carrier. Carrier, in its sole discretion, may require Passenger to provide verification satisfactory to Carrier of Passenger’s positive test result if the test was administered by a provider other than those retained by Carrier. For further details, refer to Carrier’s refund and cancellation policy at www.RoyalCaribbean.com. Under no circumstances shall Carrier have any other liability for any compensation or other damages whatsoever, including but not limited to compensation for lodging or travel.

f. Passenger Testing Positive for COVID-19 During Cruise. Passenger understands and agrees that if, after boarding, and Page 5 of 16 even if Passenger has fully complied with all COVID-19 Policies and Procedures, Passenger tests positive for COVID-19 or exhibits signs or symptoms of COVID-19, Carrier may disembark, refuse re-boarding after a shore excursion, or quarantine Passenger as well as members of Passenger’s travelling party, or take other steps which Carrier determines, in its sole discretion, are necessary under the circumstances to protect the health and well-being of others. Under these circumstances, any such Passenger with a known or suspected case of infection with COVID-19 who is disembarked, refused re-boarding, or quarantined shall be entitled to a prorated refund or future cruise credit for the unused portion of the Cruise Fare. For further details, refer to Carrier’s refund and cancellation policy at www.RoyalCaribbean.com. Each such Passenger is responsible for all other related costs and fines, including without limitation travel expenses. Under no circumstances shall Carrier be liable to any such Passenger for any costs, damages or expenses whatsoever incurred by any Passenger

6 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

(4) mandatory use by each Passenger (except where medically contraindicated) of face coverings in most locations outside of the Passenger’s cabin while onboard, during embarkation, disembarkation and shore excursions; (5) mandatory social distancing of Passengers at any/all times while on board and during embarkation, disembarkation, and shore excursions

Sounds like fun. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

If only we had a vaccine that would help minimize the need for facemasks.

Unfortunately, vaccines do NOT prevent you from catching COVID. They only prevent you from becoming seriously sick

and spread the disease when

you catch it. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, BirdTravels said:

Unfortunately, vaccines do NOT prevent you from catching COVID. They only prevent you from becoming seriously sick

and spread the disease when

you catch it. 

So, like the flu, which no one ever wears masks for.

And there's been no evidence of a vaccinated person spreading covid

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Spread of virus on a 100% vaccinated ship would be 0.00% even un-masked. 

This depends, not sure if this was asked before however if a lot of the crew will receive the Chinese Vaccination which is significantly less effective than PFIZER / BIONTECH or MODERNA this could also be an issue.

32 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

No.  None of the vaccines are 100% effective.  Last week they had counted 200+ fully vaccinated people in Michigan who got covid AFTER the 2 weeks following the second vaccine.  And that's only the ones who were found and verified.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, bouhunter said:

No.  None of the vaccines are 100% effective.  Last week they had counted 200+ fully vaccinated people in Michigan who got covid AFTER the 2 weeks following the second vaccine.  And that's only the ones who were found and verified.

And not a single one was hospitalized, had significant symptoms (many were asymptomatic) and there was ZERO transfer between vaccinated individuals. 

You can’t look at all infections the same. Infection or positive test among a vaccinated individual is a completely

different thing than an inflection in an individual without pre existing antibodies.

Case in point, all 3 hospitals that I am

on staff, completely halted testing on vaccinated individuals before elective procedures, because we know it doesn’t matter, these people are safe to be in the hospital without any extra precautions. 

Thank you, you just proved my point. 

Edited by not-enough-cruising
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

53 minutes ago, LXA350 said:

This depends, not sure if this was asked before however if a lot of the crew will receive the Chinese Vaccination which is significantly less effective than PFIZER / BIONTECH or MODERNA this could also be an issue.

Good point, my statement was based on the assumption that ships embarking from US ports would have the crew receiving a FDA or EMA approved vaccine. 

33 minutes ago, bouhunter said:

200 out of how many?  Basically a statistically insignificant amount

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

And not a single one was hospitalized, had significant symptoms (many were asymptomatic) and there was ZERO transfer between vaccinated individuals. 

You can’t look at all infections the same. Infection or positive test among a vaccinated individual is a completely

different thing than an inflection in an individual without pre existing antibodies.

Case in point, all 3 hospitals that I am

on staff, completely halted testing on vaccinated individuals before elective procedures, because we know it doesn’t matter, these people are safe to be in the hospital without any extra precautions. 

Thank you, you just proved my point. 

I work in medical field and have seen my own number of patients who have become sick after vaccinated and some needing hospitalization and even being put on a ventilator. I have no issues with what your hospital is doing as everyone in the hospital is a medical professional and they know they need to still take precautions. The general public doesn't know this and doesn't practice safe measures no matter what as would be needed on a cruise ship where everyone is in close contact to one another. 

Lets not kid ourselves - science has not caught up to this virus is real time - to say we know for sure anything about covid is like betting on a horse that ultimately breaks it leg in the final stages of a race. The best we know isn't really helping us move forward at the speeds everyone would like to go. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Stick93 said:

I work in medical field and have seen my own number of patients who have become sick after vaccinated and some needing hospitalization and even being put on a ventilator. I have no issues with what your hospital is doing as everyone in the hospital is a medical professional and they know they need to still take precautions. The general public doesn't know this and doesn't practice safe measures no matter what as would be needed on a cruise ship where everyone is in close contact to one another. 

Lets not kid ourselves - science has not caught up to this virus is real time - to say we know for sure anything about covid is like betting on a horse that ultimately breaks it leg in the final stages of a race. The best we know isn't really helping us move forward at the speeds everyone would like to go. 

Are you a physician?

1 minute ago, mek said:

Are you a physician?

Yes - and I think people should take the vaccine and it will hopefully help us get through this faster. 
I have also taken the vaccine but still have not stopped all the safety measures I feel are right for me and have kept me safe for the past year - both at work and at in the community. 

• Like 11

13 minutes ago, Stick93 said:

Yes - and I think people should take the vaccine and it will hopefully help us get through this faster. 
I have also taken the vaccine but still have not stopped all the safety measures I feel are right for me and have kept me safe for the past year - both at work and at in the community. 

Unfortunately, facts only sway a small percentage of opinions in todays American society.

Thanks for sharing though and keep up the good fight.

• Like 6

I didn't see anything about mandatory vaccinations.  Did I miss something?  Also, if you are tested after being vaccinated and test positive with no symptoms can they keep you from boarding the ship after an excursion?  It seems to say that anyone who tests positive (vaccinated or not) can be kicked off the ship at any time (hopefully not while at sea, lol).   

I have lots of questions also regarding masks.  I get sick every time I wear a mask for longer than a couple of minutes.  I have attributed it to breathing in my own CO2 and bacteria that my body said needs to be expelled.  So, I don't wear masks anymore and wear a shield only because I have to buy food for my family.  Otherwise, I do not frequent places that require masks.  So, if I get sick from a mask, isn't my body telling me something?  Also, I learned in Bio class in college that our immune system is built up by being exposed to germs.  If I am constantly using anti-bacterial, wearing a mask and distancing myself from other people's germs aren't I lowering my immune systems response to fight off germs?  These are honest questions and I am not trying to start a fight.  It seems that when you ask these questions people get quite upset.  I don't know why.  I think that they are fair questions to ask.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, easy1234 said:

I'm genuinely curious about something. So you are a physician, it means you went through medical school and have some form of understanding of viruses, vaccines, etc... and know that no vaccine is 100% effective (though the COVID vaccine has a higher efficacy rate than past vaccines (e.g. Polio)). I'm sure in medical school, you learned that the modern day flu evolved from the Spanish Flu, and you are smart enough to understand that we will never get rid of COVID-19. My question to you is, at what point will you believe masks and other forms of ppe are no longer required?

First of all I realize you are trolling me as this is a first post and you seem to know exactly how to use the site. 

I am not forcing you to take the vaccine/treatnment and I don't force anyone to take it here or in my professional roll. I see many back seat doctors who recently stayed in a Holiday inn express have their opinions and time will tell if what you are saying will help the situation, or hurt it. Covid is something we have all never seen and have no clue how long it will stay but it could be for the foreseeable future and longer. Our politicians on either side see it as an opportunity to energize their bases and are doing a great job fanning those flames.

I believe anyone could stop wearing any form of PPE if that is what you want is permitted in your state and city in public.  I keep myself safe the way I feel I want to.  If that is by wearing a space suit or nothing at least it will be my decision. I don't think science has fully grasped this situation, and comparing it to what we know up until now has not tamed this beast called COVID. 

You do you!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, easy1234 said:

I'm genuinely curious about something. So you are a physician, it means you went through medical school and have some form of understanding of viruses, vaccines, etc... and know that no vaccine is 100% effective (though the COVID vaccine has a higher efficacy rate than past vaccines (e.g. Polio)). I'm sure in medical school, you learned that the modern day flu evolved from the Spanish Flu, and you are smart enough to understand that we will never get rid of COVID-19. My question to you is, at what point will you believe masks and other forms of ppe are no longer required?

When new cases goes to zero and positivity goes to zero?

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, jp2746 said:

I didn't see anything about mandatory vaccinations.  Did I miss something?  Also, if you are tested after being vaccinated and test positive with no symptoms can they keep you from boarding the ship after an excursion?  It seems to say that anyone who tests positive (vaccinated or not) can be kicked off the ship at any time (hopefully not while at sea, lol).   

Vaccinations is a requirement for current cruises. 

If you test positive, even if vaccinated, you have COVID. And you will be quarantined on the ship or kicked off. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

If you are vaccinated,  you can still catch COVID. The vaccines only prevent you from getting seriously sick. If you test positive, there is enough virus to spread. 

OK, posting on the original topic here, the new cruise contract doesn't say anything that I didn't already expect it to say.   I want to be covid-free, not sick, and socially responsible.  Having developed a respiratory infection on almost all cruises I've been on in the last several years, I will probably wear a mask during flu season even after they are not mandatory (if that every happens).