Iceland's Natural Beauty General - 2022

TayanaLorna

I thought I would copy an idea of Bermuda Welcome Back cruiser and start a roll call for sharing general Iceland info and requirements as well Viking info.  We have four specific roll call dates going now.  It's been crazy trying to follow them all so as not to miss some important info.  Maybe we can each use our own roll calls for our meet ups, group plans and excursion combinations but share the general stuff here.

I think this is a good idea but I am so into this now I might just keep checking all of the Roll Calls because I don't want to miss anything. I will try to just read the other Roll Calls and comment only on my Roll Call and here.  And after a nice Spring the weather here in Norther Michigan is turning cold again for awhile so I will have time indoors to play on the computer. My first contribution will be that someone on one of the Roll Calls mentioned videos by Rick Steves and I have watched a couple of them and found them informative. One was a general lecture on Iceland with some history, and a few ideas about travel and sites. The other was about a specific spot. There are additional ones I will get to. How have I not heard of him before? Thanks for whoever posted that. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

Maybe we can each use our own roll calls for our meet ups, group plans and excursion combinations but share the general stuff here.

Excellent!  I’ve been hoping for this.  I just spoke to Viking.  Raised the concerns that have been brought up on the various roll calls.  Looks like May 1 for new information to be disseminated.  And May before excursions are ready, but she wasn’t quite sure when.

This will be our first Viking cruise (have always done Celebrity). A couple of questions - 

-what is the usual dress for dinner at the specialty and main dining room? Seems like they don't have special evening dress such as "Evening Chic". 

-seeing this is more of an exploration cruise, is it more casual during the day? 

-any tips on what kind of layers of clothing, shoes, etc. to meet the challenge of the wind/cold, etc. Are waterproof pants /shoes needed? 

We are doing a back to back, considering the price of plane flights, thought we would take full advantage! 

We will probably have more questions as time goes on. 

Thanks in advance! 

I will throw my thoughts out and hopefully others will join in. There are no “formal

nights” onboard. Dress at lunch is more informal than dinner. No work out type clothes at any of the indoor restaurants. Dress at the Restaurant and speciality restaurants is what I would consider resort chic. Viking calls it Elegant casual. No jeans. Men usually wear a collared shirt, tie and jacket not needed. I think we will need clothes that are warm but as importantly rain and wind resistant. I am taking waterproof pants. I am still not sure about my shoes but will probably go with waterproof. My more comfortable walking shoes are not waterproof so do I go for comfort or waterproof? Or do I buy a new pair that is both?! If you scan thru the other roll calls there is discussion about this and actually a couple of recommendations for waterproof pants. Maybe start with the July 3 roll call. Hope this helps and I will be interested in hearing from others. Welcome to Viking. 

• Like 1

https://grapevine.is/news/2021/04/12/new-crack-opened-at-geldingadalur-over-the-weekend/

This article came up on my Google news feed this morning.  Most interesting is at the bottom where you can sign up to their newsletter.  There is a link you can click.  Of course you can donate and subscribe but you can get the newsletter for free.

• Like 3

On 4/11/2021 at 9:13 PM, Bejay219 said:

This will be our first Viking cruise (have always done Celebrity). A couple of questions - 

-what is the usual dress for dinner at the specialty and main dining room? Seems like they don't have special evening dress such as "Evening Chic". 

-seeing this is more of an exploration cruise, is it more casual during the day? 

-any tips on what kind of layers of clothing, shoes, etc. to meet the challenge of the wind/cold, etc. Are waterproof pants /shoes needed? 

We are doing a back to back, considering the price of plane flights, thought we would take full advantage! 

We will probably have more questions as time goes on. 

Thanks in advance! 

Both of our previous Viking cruises (Arctic Circle & Around Cape Horn) were to locations where stops were in more rugged outdoorsy places.  Iceland is even more so.  We saw lots of jeans, hiking boots, flannel shirts, fleece etc. on board.  In the 3 restaurant venues as long as the shirt has a collar it's okay for men.  It doesn't have to be dress shirt.  Women often wore sweaters, nice blouses with slacks but even tunic tops over nice leggings were okay. No jeans in nice restaurants.  

Layer, layer, layer...we bring long underwear tops for wearing under shirts or turtlenecks, under fleece, under waterproof windbreaker with hood.  My DH's hiking boots are waterproof but he will still bring another comfortable pair of walking shoes.  I have a clunky fleece lined pair of Lands End duck boots but they weigh a ton and I don't know if I will bring them.  I lugged them to Norway, wore them once but didn't really need them.  However we were blessed with sunny weather.  I may just bring my non waterproof hiking shoes plus another sturdy pair.  Figure I can wear one pair while the other dries out.  Some people recommend rain pants.  We bring hats and gloves too. Like they say in Norway, there is no bad weather only bad clothing.  All depends on your comfort level.  

• Thanks 1

Posted these websites on my cruise's July 17-24 Roll Call and wanted to share them here as well. Surfing the web, I found this site which has information on the ports of Iceland. I was curious what the more obscure, like Djupvogur which is a town of 400, would offer.

https://www.cruiseiceland.com/

https://issuu.com/cruiseiceland/docs/cruise-iceland-2019_brochure

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

Both of our previous Viking cruises (Arctic Circle & Around Cape Horn) were to locations where stops were in more rugged outdoorsy places.  Iceland is even more so.  We saw lots of jeans, hiking boots, flannel shirts, fleece etc. on board.  In the 3 restaurant venues as long as the shirt has a collar it's okay for men.  It doesn't have to be dress shirt.  Women often wore sweaters, nice blouses with slacks but even tunic tops over nice leggings were okay. No jeans in nice restaurants.  

Layer, layer, layer...we bring long underwear tops for wearing under shirts or turtlenecks, under fleece, under waterproof windbreaker with hood.  My DH's hiking boots are waterproof but he will still bring another comfortable pair of walking shoes.  I have a clunky fleece lined pair of Lands End duck boots but they weigh a ton and I don't know if I will bring them.  I lugged them to Norway, wore them once but didn't really need them.  However we were blessed with sunny weather.  I may just bring my non waterproof hiking shoes plus another sturdy pair.  Figure I can wear one pair while the other dries out.  Some people recommend rain pants.  We bring hats and gloves too. Like they say in Norway, there is no bad weather only bad clothing.  All depends on your comfort level.  

Thank you!  The information helps alot on what to bring... and what is worn on board.  So looks like we will leave the fancy clothes at home. 

I appreciate your suggestions. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Bejay219 said:

Thank you!  The information helps alot on what to bring... and what is worn on board.  So looks like we will leave the fancy clothes at home. 

I appreciate your suggestions. 

You are welcome.  If you like dressing up for dinner, do so.  People do - women more then men - although i have seen a jacket or 2 but never a tie.  LOL, after writing about all the winter clothing we will pack, a was looking at photos of some of the potential excursion locations.  I saw people wearing T-shirts with their jackets tied around the waist.  Perhaps it can be sunny and warm there!

Just heard on Icelandic news that 4 people have just tested positive for Covid after a British man with Covid went to a concert with 800 people in Reykjavík.  Four doesn't sound like many but there have only be 9 cases in total up until now.  Hope this remains contained! 

This is a great idea but it might get more traffic if it were in the Viking Oceans forum rather than hidden here. Most people do not return to Viking Sky Roll Calls looking for a general information thread but they do check Viking Oceans regularly to see what is new. 

To move the thread, the OP just needs to "report" the thread, by clicking on the three dots  beside the post number image.png.e6b5c678a6286868a82bdbae43e02502.png.

My next suggestion is that when suggesting someplace on the internet, that a link be included.

Please ignore my previous message.  The article about the 4 people appeared in my newsfeed and I didn't check the dates.  It was a month old!  So the small outbreak was contained and all is well.  I sincerely apologize!  I will be more careful going forward. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/13/2021 at 12:26 PM, TayanaLorna said:

Ditto what has been said about "no bad weather only bad clothing." Average July high temps are in the high 50s, lows in the forties. I've read it rains sideways in Iceland.

Shoes: We may do a lot of walking on this trip, especially over rough terrain.  Make sure that whatever shoes you bring are broken in and comfortable.  Two pairs for day wear: the ones you are wearing and the ones that are drying.  If your feet are not warm and dry, you will be miserable for the whole tour.  Pack adhesive tape; even old shoes can cause blisters. 

Yes, bring a bathing suit -- and bring an old one if you are planning on hot springs visit.

No jeans at dinner in MDR and specialties is enforced and it includes black and other colors as well.  I don't know if it includes indigo colored leggings (I haven't tested that limit yet).

Bringing a sports coat/dinner jacket. There are some men who, for whatever reason, prefer to wear a jacket at dinner. Some prefer it to keep warm in an air-conditioned environment. If you fall in to this category, then by all means be comfortable, bring a jacket.

I definitely expect this trip to be more casual -- but then again each cruise I have been on has had a different vibe.

Viking has a list of things that may not be brought on board: http://wpc.475d.edgecastcdn.net/00475D/mvj/onboard-prohibited-list.pdf

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Reading that list of items not allowed made me think of more information to give the first timers. Each cabin deck has a laundromat that is free to use. They provide the detergent but not dryer sheets. The button to turn them on is a bit tricky to find (on the wall next to the door usually and you push the button with the number of the machine) and from there you use the controls on the machine just like at home. In this room is also an iron and ironing board. It can get busy and the number of machines is limited so  pick your laundry time carefully. Like in the middle of the very short night. LOL. 

On 4/11/2021 at 9:24 AM, TayanaLorna said:

This guy has 40 plus videos on Iceland.  All I can say is wowza!  This could get a person really excited.

I can't get the link to work, but it sounds great.  Would you please post his channel/name so we can find it the old fashion way on YouTube.  Thank you!

21 minutes ago, JER/MPR said:

I can't get the link to work, but it sounds great.  Would you please post his channel/name so we can find it the old fashion way on YouTube.  Thank you!

Mads Peter Iverson #landscapephotography. He has 40 plus videos of Iceland.  Saw some Norway also.

Here is another website that I happen to find today. Don't be discouraged by the title as they publish and sell a book with that name. But it really is a potpourri of useful topics although some information (like Covid-19) may be out of date. I found the section on cell phones in the Preparation Section (about half way down the first page and updated in January 2021)especially useful as we are staying an additional week after the cruise in Iceland. Also navigating the airport upon arrival and where the 10-11 store is.

https://icelandwithkids.com/

Jack

Edited by Heartgrove

On 4/11/2021 at 4:37 AM, Seaharvest said:

I think this is a good idea but I am so into this now I might just keep checking all of the Roll Calls because I don't want to miss anything. I will try to just read the other Roll Calls and comment only on my Roll Call and here.  And after a nice Spring the weather here in Norther Michigan is turning cold again for awhile so I will have time indoors to play on the computer. My first contribution will be that someone on one of the Roll Calls mentioned videos by Rick Steves and I have watched a couple of them and found them informative. One was a general lecture on Iceland with some history, and a few ideas about travel and sites. The other was about a specific spot. There are additional ones I will get to. How have I not heard of him before? Thanks for whoever posted that. 

We are from the Great Pacific Northwest and so have traveled with Ricky books and videos for nigh unto 40 years. I used to work for him in Edmonds, WA, back in the day in the early ‘80s before he was famous from his PBS shows (he is my age). We were pleasantly surprised he had added Iceland to his repertoire recently.

We wanted to go on one of these Iceland Welcome Back cruises but the dates did not work for our petsitter (three cats), so we’ve opted for a slightly earlier land excursion and will wave to y’all from shore.

2 hours ago, LindaS272 said:

We are from the Great Pacific Northwest and so have traveled with Ricky books and videos for nigh unto 40 years. I used to work for him in Edmonds, WA, back in the day in the early ‘80s before he was famous from his PBS shows (he is my age). We were pleasantly surprised he had added Iceland to his repertoire recently.

We wanted to go on one of these Iceland Welcome Back cruises but the dates did not work for our petsitter (three cats), so we’ve opted for a slightly earlier land excursion and will wave to y’all from shore.

Very cool - I won’t be surprised if Rick goes to Iceland himself soon.  Not a lot of other European options open yet. Had to post this pic with my RS guidebook - never go to Europe without it!!

FF7055FE-B96E-4F0E-BCB7-373DAAA06EAD.jpeg

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Seaharvest said:

Reading that list of items not allowed made me think of more information to give the first timers. Each cabin deck has a laundromat that is free to use. They provide the detergent but not dryer sheets. The button to turn them on is a bit tricky to find (on the wall next to the door usually and you push the button with the number of the machine) and from there you use the controls on the machine just like at home. In this room is also an iron and ironing board. It can get busy and the number of machines is limited so  pick your laundry time carefully. Like in the middle of the very short night. LOL. 

More laundry tips.

Short people will really appreciate a lingerie bag when it comes time to get that one last sock out of the back of the dryer. Tall people will appreciate  a lingerie bag when they can't find sock #6. Also good for stocking/tights/pantyhose because we aren't supposed to put them into the machines.

Please stick with the laundry products supplied by the ship as they are chosen to be compatible with the ship's systems. Dryer sheets can cause problems for those with allergies and sensitive skin.

For those who are hemming and hawing about sending out their laundry.  I have used it 5 different trips now and never had a problem.  My line is: I don't iron DH's shirts at home, why am I going to do it on vacation?

• Like 3