Trans-Atlantic from Lisbon to Barbados Questions

Never been on a TA cruise before. Leaving Lisbon 10/4/21, arriving in Barbados 10/17/21. Suite on the port side, midship. Small, new vessel (98 cabins). Will be staying 3 days in Lisbon pre-cruise and 3 days in Barbados post cruise. Hopefully not impacted by Covid regulations.

Questions:

What clothes to pack. Laundry service is provided. Line recommends country club casual as there is no dress code. Jackets or other warm clothes?

Any other recommendations on what to bring? Have only done river cruises in Europe which are port intensive so don't know what to expect on a TA cruise.

Thanks so much!

For Oct  I would take a jacket  just incase

I even take one on a Caribbean cruise

Long pants  in case it is cool  on deck in the evenings

seasick meds  (it is hurricane season )

What ship will you be sailing on?

Thank you, LTH28. The ship is the Atlas World Navigator. Not too concerned about hurricane season because they navigate somewhat south down the coast of Africa before crossing and then up the coast of S. America before going to several of the south Caribbean islands. What seasick meds do you pack? Any other advice?

Edited by keokukjoe

7 minutes ago, keokukjoe said:

Thank you, LTH28. The ship is the Atlas Navigator. Not too concerned about hurricane season because they navigate somewhat south down the coast of Africa before crossing and then up the coast of S. America before going to several of the south Caribbean islands. What seasick meds do you pack? Any other advice?

Thanks   I have not looked at that line

You may be OK  then  for hurricanes

I always pack a light fleece jacket/rain jacket  no matter  where we sail

I can feel chilly in the evening  after a day in the sun

If I feel queasy I take  ginger   some ships will even have some dried ginger set out near the dining area in rough seas

Take any  OTC med you might need  like Rennies/Rolaids/Tums  what ever work for upset tummy

I try to take wash n wear fabrics in case I need to rinse things  out in the cabin

Hat /sunscreen goes without saying

Enjoy

2 minutes ago, keokukjoe said:

Any advice for travel insurance?

Not sure where you are from  but  I would shop around & make sure you are covered for  medical & evacuation

There is  a forum here  on cruise insurance

good idea to put your Country in  your profile  so people can answer based on where you live

different Countries have different options

Thank you again, LTH28. We were drawn to Atlas Ocean Voyages because of their "all-inclusive" nature and that they are small vessels, much closer to a yacht experience. Fleece and rain wear good suggestions. Happy that on-board laundry services included so that we can pack lighter. 

Atlas includes medical evacuation insurance but we will need the other components of travel insurance. Atlas said they are going to offer a policy that might be more economical since they already cover a very expensive component. The medical insurance we have here in the states cover foreign medical costs except for a minor copay ( like an emergency room co-pay which is about $200). 

6 minutes ago, keokukjoe said:

Thank you again, LTH28. We were drawn to Atlas Ocean Voyages because of their "all-inclusive" nature and that they are small vessels, much closer to a yacht experience. Fleece and rain wear good suggestions. Happy that on-board laundry services included so that we can pack lighter. 

sounds interesting

Not sure I would  do a crossing on a small ship  but love the smaller ships  for other itineraries

Hope you will write  a review if the sailing goes ahead

enjoy

2 minutes ago, keokukjoe said:

Atlas includes medical evacuation insurance but we will need the other components of travel insurance. Atlas said they are going to offer a policy that might be more economical since they already cover a very expensive component. The medical insurance we have here in the states cover foreign medical costs except for a minor copay ( like an emergency room co-pay which is about $200). 

if you are in the US maybe check the cruise ins forum  here

We are Canadian so  I always take trip cancellation ins  & have used it  a couple of times 😉

44 minutes ago, keokukjoe said:

Which insurance do you recommend? Definitely want trip cancellation insurance that covers Covid including last minute positive testing (God forbid) even though we are fully immunized

Here is the insurance  forum

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/499-cruisetravel-insurance/

You may want to call the Trip insurance store & talk to Steve

Our polices in Canada  are different

5 hours ago, keokukjoe said:

Never been on a TA cruise before. Leaving Lisbon 10/4/21, arriving in Barbados 10/17/21. Suite on the port side, midship. Small, new vessel (98 cabins). Will be staying 3 days in Lisbon pre-cruise and 3 days in Barbados post cruise. Hopefully not impacted by Covid regulations.

Questions:

What clothes to pack. Laundry service is provided. Line recommends country club casual as there is no dress code. Jackets or other warm clothes?

Any other recommendations on what to bring? Have only done river cruises in Europe which are port intensive so don't know what to expect on a TA cruise.

Thanks so much!

It will help to know your Ports of Call. However, a W'bd TA from Lisbon to Barbados would normally take a southerly track rather than the shorter Great Circle routing. The southerly routing also gets favourable prevailing winds and currents.

I suspect you could visit the West Coast of Africa or stops at some of the islands just off the coast - Madeira, Canary Islands & Cape Verde Islands. Either of these options have a good chance of reasonable weather.

In Lisbon, I find the Autumn temperatures very comfortable, probably 70's to 80's during the day. Once you sail, you should hit the trade winds about the 2nd day, which are predominently NE'ly, so should provide following winds. This should give minimum wind over the decks, for a comfortable experience.

You are crossing the Atlantic at the tail end of the Tropical Revolving Storm season, but being so close to the Equator, the storms are still forming and with weather routing, it is easy for the Captain to avoid them. However, it could still be lumpy.

For clothing, probably layers and a wind jacket.

• Like 1

Thank you, Heidi. Leaving home 10/1. We are spending 10/2-4 in Lisbon before boarding. Leave Lisbon 10/4, then travel to Madeira and Tenerife 10/5-10/7, Cross Atlantic (south-west bound) 10/8-10/10, Cross Tropic of Cancer 10/12, Cross the Atlantic to the Caribbean Sea (sailing northwest) 10/12-10/15, St Lucia 10/16, Barbados 10/17-19 (arriving 10/17, staying on land 10/17-10/19). Your suggestion of layers is probably the best way to go. During our river cruise in 7/2019, started out in Amsterdam and needed to wear slacks, layered tops and a jacket and ended up in Budapest in shorts and tees. Packing for that trip was unusual to say the least. At least we had laundry service included which was a big help. I'm glad that Atlas also provides laundry service included in our cruise package.

• Like 1

@keokukjoe - Wishing You a Fabulous Trip...

Packing for a Transatlantic is kind of like planning a Halloween costume in IA...

When it could be 70's/80's or Cold & Rainy or Snowing...
Let's hope the snowing doesn't ever happen on the route you are taking 🙂 

As a rule - I plan for layers, yes...

Shirts - Both Long & Short Sleeve...

Shorts & Pants

Fleece & Shell (Wind/Rain)

And - b/c we travel from AK - generally have power stretch gloves w/ us & Johnny generally has a hat...

Also - sunscreen & sun glasses!!!

You never know what the weather might do...

We did a Transpacific:  Vancouver to Tokyo, Sept/Oct - short sleeves, capris & sandals worn in every Alaskan port 🙂

Have an amazing journey...

Edited by Von & John

2 hours ago, Von & John said:

@keokukjoe - Wishing You a Fabulous Trip...

Packing for a Transatlantic is kind of like planning a Halloween costume in IA...

When it could be 70's/80's or Cold & Rainy or Snowing...
Let's hope the snowing doesn't ever happen on the route you are taking 🙂 

😄

I can relate to that

4 ft snow drifts on the pool deck  on our crossing

CIMG0041

• Like 1

4 hours ago, keokukjoe said:

Thank you, Heidi. Leaving home 10/1. We are spending 10/2-4 in Lisbon before boarding. Leave Lisbon 10/4, then travel to Madeira and Tenerife 10/5-10/7, Cross Atlantic (south-west bound) 10/8-10/10, Cross Tropic of Cancer 10/12, Cross the Atlantic to the Caribbean Sea (sailing northwest) 10/12-10/15, St Lucia 10/16, Barbados 10/17-19 (arriving 10/17, staying on land 10/17-10/19). Your suggestion of layers is probably the best way to go. During our river cruise in 7/2019, started out in Amsterdam and needed to wear slacks, layered tops and a jacket and ended up in Budapest in shorts and tees. Packing for that trip was unusual to say the least. At least we had laundry service included which was a big help. I'm glad that Atlas also provides laundry service included in our cruise package.

Enjoy the cruise. Atlas is a cruise line that I'm not aware of, so will check them out.

We only consider small ships less than 200 guests and yachts. Was looking into the Emerald Azzara (?sp) for 2022 since we have been impressed with It's parent company Scenic. Saw that this new company Atlas Ocean Voyages was entering the market as a "Luxe-expedition" ship. was starting to sail in July, 2021. Looked into Atlas and liked what we saw: only 98 suites, truly all-inclusive,  environmentally sound ship,  country club casual dress, 5* hotels for land portions, etc. Felt it was worth a try. Hopefully, the journey will not be cancelled because of the pandemic.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, keokukjoe said:

We only consider small ships less than 200 guests and yachts. Was looking into the Emerald Azzara (?sp) for 2022 since we have been impressed with It's parent company Scenic. Saw that this new company Atlas Ocean Voyages was entering the market as a "Luxe-expedition" ship. was starting to sail in July, 2021. Looked into Atlas and liked what we saw: only 98 suites, truly all-inclusive,  environmentally sound ship,  country club casual dress, 5* hotels for land portions, etc. Felt it was worth a try. Hopefully, the journey will not be cancelled because of the pandemic.

We also prefer smaller ships, but our preference is 750 to 1,000 as they still have multiple entertainment options. We also enjoy a more inclusive experience.

1 hour ago, keokukjoe said:

When was your crossing and from where to where? We no longer live in the great white north and don't miss that white stuff one little bit.

We went  the northern route  from NYC to Southampton  April 2019

not only did we hit snow  leaving Halifax  we  were inbetween two storm fronts    ..what a crazy cruise

I am back to flying to Europe if we sail again LOL

The Atlas ships look  nice  ...might try to convince DH to try one  when  the World is somewhat normal again

Enjoy the cruise