Taking 2 back-to-back cruises, want insurance but discouraged by non-pay stories

Elaine2007

I have not been away for years and so my husband and I are planning to really get away this fall.  We are taking two back-to-back 7 day cruises (14 days total).  However, I can hardly enjoy these months leading up to them because there is a significant risk of something interrupting our plans.  Aside from the pandemic, we have three aging/disabled parents who can experience a serious health issue at any time.  Months and even years can pass with no issues but I just know sometime will happen just as we are set to get away (we are the only family in town for all of them).  I really want to buy insurance to cover the cost of the vacation but I keep reading story after story of the insurance companies finding excuses why not to pay on the claim.  I would like to buy the "cancel for any reason" insurance as a fail safe but would like advice on it.  To buy directly from Carnival would cost me $260, not an insignificant amount of money.  Or I can go with one of the others...John Hancock, Allianz (most expensive), Seven Corners,  etc.  I just want something that will pay if I cancel, no questions asked.  Even if it is only 75%.  I don't expect to get my airfare back because they will say it is refundable, even though the travel funds expire within days of the cruise.  Anyone have some good or bad experience stories to share with the "cancel for any reason" insurance?

Edited by Elaine2007
misspelling

a few thoughts

1. You say 2 back to back cruises.   So, 4 cruises?,,,   or just a back to back which would be 2 cruises?.

2. Cancel For Any Reason is just that. First you notify the insurance company that you're going to exercise the CFAR option because you no longer wish to go, and follow their instructions on how to properly cancel.

NOTE:

Carnival insurance policy allows you to CFAR all the way up to the scheduled "ship" departure time.

3rd party insurance providers require you to cancel (depending on policy) up to 48 hours prior to "trip" departure.

3rd party CFAR policies vary on % credit. Some are 40%, some are more. Each policy varies.

3rd party CFAR policies require that you purchase the plan within XX number of days of initial trip deposit. Each policy varies.

You can find some great information about CFAR by clicking on this link.

Cancel For Any Reason Trip Cancellation Travel Insurance plans Get the Best Trip Insurance Details, Advice (tripinsurancestore.com)

Also, you may want to consider getting a policy which will cover you, potentially, in case there is a family emergency before and during travel.

I believe there is at least one (1) of those out there. As recommended, contact a Professional (i.e. tripinsurancetore,com or call Steve's office) to guide you through a situation like this.

You indicate that $260 "...is not an insignificant amount of money." please clarify if you mean that charge is too much or not an issue.

Sometime ago someone in a similar situation posted here about coverage and I do believe the input was similar as klfrodo posted and a few others, the short answer is to contact a Professional, as ALL insurance companies will pay based on their published terms in their policies NOT what we as the insured think needs to be covered.... translation: READ the policy fully and carefully before purchase so you know what is covered and how coverage terms meet your needs and desires.

Good luck and bon voyage

13 hours ago, klfrodo said:

Cancel For Any Reason is just that. First you notify the insurance company that you're going to exercise the CFAR option because you no longer wish to go, and follow their instructions on how to properly cancel.

Hi klfrodo,

How CFAR works with my plans is if you have the CFAR you don't need to tell the insurance company that you are filing a claim under the CFAR. Instead, you give your reason along with the supporting documentation. If it turns out that your reason wasn't a covered reason then the claim is paid under the CFAR.

We will help everyone with their claim, and as part of what we tell our customers, we recommend someone contacts us when they think they might need to make a claim so we can give them guidance how to proceed.

Specifically, if someone has CFAR and we know it won't be a covered reason, we tell them to put "I changed my mind" for their cancellation reason. This saves them lots of time waiting and they still end up being paid under the CFAR.

Steve Dasseos

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, iamtrustworthy said:

Hi klfrodo,

How CFAR works with my plans is if you have the CFAR you don't need to tell the insurance company that you are filing a claim under the CFAR. Instead, you give your reason along with the supporting documentation. If it turns out that your reason wasn't a covered reason then the claim is paid under the CFAR.

Steve Dasseos

Thanks Steve.

The problem that I have seen (or read) is that people who have the "Cruiselines" insurance (with CFAR),,,, they call the cruiseline to cancel, the cruiseline cancels, however there is no followup by the cruiseline giving the client the information necessary regarding the CFAR portion of the policy.

Many people don't know their policy included CFAR and the cruiseline doesn't offer any help.

21 hours ago, klfrodo said:

a few thoughts

1. You say 2 back to back cruises.   So, 4 cruises?,,,   or just a back to back which would be 2 cruises?.

2. Cancel For Any Reason is just that. First you notify the insurance company that you're going to exercise the CFAR option because you no longer wish to go, and follow their instructions on how to properly cancel.

NOTE:

Carnival insurance policy allows you to CFAR all the way up to the scheduled "ship" departure time.

3rd party insurance providers require you to cancel (depending on policy) up to 48 hours prior to "trip" departure.

3rd party CFAR policies vary on % credit. Some are 40%, some are more. Each policy varies.

3rd party CFAR policies require that you purchase the plan within XX number of days of initial trip deposit. Each policy varies.

You can find some great information about CFAR by clicking on this link.

Cancel For Any Reason Trip Cancellation Travel Insurance plans Get the Best Trip Insurance Details, Advice (tripinsurancestore.com)

One back to back cruise. (2 cruises total).  Sorry for the confusion.  Carnival wants $260 for their insurance for the two cruises combined.  It seems kind of high because I'm thinking I will only be insurable for 75% of $2000.  I'm guessing they won't reimburse me for the airline tickets but will call them "refundable" due to the policy of Southwest giving travel funds, even though the funds will expire within a week of the cruise return.  I checked on 3rd party CFAR and I could get it as cheap as $160 or as expensive as over $300.  I'm wondering if all plans and companies are created equal with regards to CFAR, as long as I make sure it's 75% refund and I purchase the policy within their trip deposit time.  Thanks for the info link.  I'll check it out.

12 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

Also, you may want to consider getting a policy which will cover you, potentially, in case there is a family emergency before and during travel.

I believe there is at least one (1) of those out there. As recommended, contact a Professional (i.e. tripinsurancetore,com or call Steve's office) to guide you through a situation like this.

You indicate that $260 "...is not an insignificant amount of money." please clarify if you mean that charge is too much or not an issue.

Sometime ago someone in a similar situation posted here about coverage and I do believe the input was similar as klfrodo posted and a few others, the short answer is to contact a Professional, as ALL insurance companies will pay based on their published terms in their policies NOT what we as the insured think needs to be covered.... translation: READ the policy fully and carefully before purchase so you know what is covered and how coverage terms meet your needs and desires.

Good luck and bon voyage

1 minute ago, Elaine2007 said:

$260 seems like a lot of money for insurance, especially when I know the insurance companies will do everything in their power to decline a regular (non CFAR) policy.  I've read so many stories of people being denied for the most ridiculous reasons.  Since my primary concern for cancelling is my parent's health, I don't have a lot of faith that a regular policy will pay out.  They'll point to my mom's visit to the hospital a couple weeks ago, etc.  I can argue that hospital visits are par for the course with her but they'll see it as a pre-exisiting condition worthy of denying my claim.  I'll check out that website and see if I can get more clarification on what policy is best for me.  Thanks.

I was trying to wait until my final payment is due (in June) because I'm not even sure the cruise lines will be sailing in September.  But the 3rd party insurance carriers want me to make a decision sometime in the next week and a half.  And if the cruise is cancelled, than what?  Will the insurance company refund my money?  Will they issue me a credit that must be used within a certain amount of time?  Even though I can get better coverage for cheaper with a 3rd party, it's almost worth it just to purchase the trip protection plan through the cruise line so that I don't have any issues if they cancel.  I should receive 100% back in that case.  I go back and forth on the topic.  I'd like to save money on the policy but also want peace of mind.  I've just read so many horror stories.  One person had their claim denied because they were $10 off on the total cost of their trip.  Their claim stated $1510 but they were insured for $1500.  Instead of just paying out the $1500, the insurance carrier denied the claim completely because they were under-insured.

6 minutes ago, Elaine2007 said:

e2207 - considering the serious nature of your situation, it would be best to call Steve or someone on his staff to discuss directly.

They will be able to walk you through what is available based on your requirements and needs.

Good luck and bon voyage and I trust it all works out for you and your family, for cruising!!!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Elaine2007 said:

I was trying to wait until my final payment is due (in June) because I'm not even sure the cruise lines will be sailing in September.  But the 3rd party insurance carriers want me to make a decision sometime in the next week and a half.  And if the cruise is cancelled, than what?  Will the insurance company refund my money?  Will they issue me a credit that must be used within a certain amount of time?  Even though I can get better coverage for cheaper with a 3rd party, it's almost worth it just to purchase the trip protection plan through the cruise line so that I don't have any issues if they cancel.  I should receive 100% back in that case.  I go back and forth on the topic.  I'd like to save money on the policy but also want peace of mind.  I've just read so many horror stories.  One person had their claim denied because they were $10 off on the total cost of their trip.  Their claim stated $1510 but they were insured for $1500.  Instead of just paying out the $1500, the insurance carrier denied the claim completely because they were under-insured.

e2007 - was that posted here on CC or somewhere else?

Maybe if Steve sees this, he can comment further on an explanation beyond the $10.

bon voyage

21 minutes ago, Elaine2007 said:

Hi Elaine2007,

> I'd like to save money on the policy but also want peace of mind.  I've just read so many horror stories.  One person had their claim denied because they were $10 off on the total cost of their trip.  Their claim stated $1510 but they were insured for $1500.  Instead of just paying out the $1500, the insurance carrier denied the claim completely because they were under-insured.

When it comes to the CFAR, all of the very few companies that offer CFAR require that all your per person prepaid, non-refundable trip costs including airfare are included in the insured trip cost.

In addition, nearly all companies require the same to have the pre-existing conditions coverage.

If all your per person prepaid, non-refundable trip costs including airfare are not included in the insured trip cost, those companies will deny the entire claim.

Also, even though many places that sell travel insurace allow you the average the trip cost between the travelers when doing a quote, this often results in underinsuring at least one traveler which I have seen cause claim denials. I don't allow this, but I know it happens non-customers often ask for my help on claims (I'm happy to help them if I can) and this is one reason for denials.

> And if the cruise is cancelled, than what?  Will the insurance company refund my money?  Will they issue me a credit that must be used within a certain amount of time?

Some companies will refund what you paid while most let you re-use the policy for another trip as long as you get a full refund.

I hope this helps.

Steve Dasseos

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

e2007 - was that posted here on CC or somewhere else?

Maybe if Steve sees this, he can comment further on an explanation beyond the $10.

bon voyage

It took me a while to find it but I finally did!  Travelinsurance.com reviews for John Hancock bronze plan.  I got the totals wrong.  The trip was insured for $4000 but claim was for $4010.  I just remembered there being a $10 difference.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Elaine2007 said:

It took me a while to find it but I finally did!  Travelinsurance.com reviews for John Hancock bronze plan.  I got the totals wrong.  The trip was insured for $4000 but claim was for $4010.  I just remembered there being a $10 difference.

My guess would be that if they insured for $4,010, the premium would be higher vs $4,000, most likely.

In the end, how much higher would it have been vs. being denied the claim??? 20/20

Thank you and bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953

13 hours ago, iamtrustworthy said:

Hi Elaine2007,

> I'd like to save money on the policy but also want peace of mind.  I've just read so many horror stories.  One person had their claim denied because they were $10 off on the total cost of their trip.  Their claim stated $1510 but they were insured for $1500.  Instead of just paying out the $1500, the insurance carrier denied the claim completely because they were under-insured.

When it comes to the CFAR, all of the very few companies that offer CFAR require that all your per person prepaid, non-refundable trip costs including airfare are included in the insured trip cost.

In addition, nearly all companies require the same to have the pre-existing conditions coverage.

If all your per person prepaid, non-refundable trip costs including airfare are not included in the insured trip cost, those companies will deny the entire claim.

Also, even though many places that sell travel insurace allow you the average the trip cost between the travelers when doing a quote, this often results in underinsuring at least one traveler which I have seen cause claim denials. I don't allow this, but I know it happens non-customers often ask for my help on claims (I'm happy to help them if I can) and this is one reason for denials.

> And if the cruise is cancelled, than what?  Will the insurance company refund my money?  Will they issue me a credit that must be used within a certain amount of time?

Some companies will refund what you paid while most let you re-use the policy for another trip as long as you get a full refund.

I hope this helps.

Steve Dasseos

I would rather over-insure the trip than take a chance that it get denied.  I have the cruise fare which is nonrefundable so that's easy.  And then I have the port fees and taxes which are refundable I think.  And then I'm most confused about the airfare.  The airfare was purchased mostly using travel funds from flights that were canceled last year with a little extra via credit card.  If I cancel my airfare, ALL will be issued to travel funds, some of which expires within a week of the cruise return date and the rest expiring in December. 

So I'm wondering if the insurance would pay anything at all towards the airfare since they would consider it to be refundable, even if it's likely I'll lose the funds that expire within a week of the trip's return date.  It was use it or lose it on the travel funds.  So I can insure just the cruise fare or I can insure it all.  I actually got mixed responses depending on who I asked.  I'm not sure which customer reps I was talking to at the time but I had one tell me that the airfare would be covered under insurance if I opted to decline receiving travel funds for it.  Not sure if that's true or not.

7 hours ago, Elaine2007 said:

I'm most confused about the airfare.  The airfare was purchased mostly using travel funds from flights that were canceled last year with a little extra via credit card.  If I cancel my airfare, ALL will be issued to travel funds, some of which expires within a week of the cruise return date and the rest expiring in December. 

What do you mean by "travel funds"? Do you mean the money was refunded to you in cash or was the refund issued in another form?

15 hours ago, iamtrustworthy said:

What do you mean by "travel funds"? Do you mean the money was refunded to you in cash or was the refund issued in another form?

The tickets were originally purchased a year or so ago and then the airfare was cancelled and travel funds were issued.  They are basically credit with the airline company for future travel that has to be used within one year.  That means the entire trip has to be completed, from start to finish, before those funds expire.  I used them to purchase the airfare to get us to the cruise port.  If we cancel (or the cruise line cancels) within days of the scheduled cruise, the airline company will refund the travel funds to my account but their expiration date will not change and will expire within a week of when the cruise was due to return.  I tried to get them to extend the expiration date but they won't.  Basically it's use it or lose it.