Desantis Says Cruise Lines Cannot Require Any Proof of Vaccine for Cruises out of Florida

mmcguir

DeSantis is a fool for this move.  I thought he was for less Government.  He has no business telling the private sector what requirements they choose to have their patrons follow whether it be cruising of a sports or concert venue.  What he does with Government entities is his business.  

As a traveler, I have a yellow passport proving that I have been vaccinated for yellow fever, hepatitis A and B, tetanus, etc.  As a parent, our kids are required to be vaccinated to attend school.  Immigrants coming into this country legally are required to have vaccines.

I think he just wants to see his name in the news more and he knows how to get attention and be controversial.  Unfortunately, he is hurting the cruise lines as well as sporting and concert venues who will not open to full audiences unless they are safe.  

If patrons choose not to get vaccinated, then it is their choice to not participate.  The Antivaxers need some incentive!  Otherwise, we will be waering masks for a much longer time than necessary.

I feel better getting that off my chest!  Is there a petition I can sign somewhere??

• Like 11

2 hours ago, pingpong1 said:

My understanding is that Canada (like most of Europe) has had difficulties in getting enough vaccines to administer.  In Europe, only the UK is doing "better" (47.42%) than the US at the present time

fullsizeoutput_4f3.thumb.jpeg.f0ebed70f59e6e8242bc2c5889d102fe.jpeg

In the UK, 61% of those over the age of 18 have received the first jab. 

Concentration this month is on second doses - to date 15% of those over 18 are fully vaccinated.

Overall vaccination rate in UK has slowed this month due to vaccine availability but the target is still for all adults to be offered vaccination by mid July.

Fortunately vaccine acceptance/take-up in the UK is high and the vaccination programme has been well organised & supported. 

Edited by flossie009

I don't see how anyone could preclude a cruise line from requiring a vaccine that is required by any country on its itinerary.  So if the ship is going somewhere that does require the vaccine, they have to ensure that all passengers have it.  For example, people can be refused passage to areas requiring the yellow fever vaccine.  This should be way beyond the jurisdiction of the state of Florida.

I also agree that as a private business, they should be able to have their own policies.  The cruise industry and cruise passengers should make their voices heard, and I don't see how a ban on a vaccine requirement could stand.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, SusieQft said:

I don't see how anyone could preclude a cruise line from requiring a vaccine that is required by any country on its itinerary.  So if the ship is going somewhere that does require the vaccine, they have to ensure that all passengers have it.  For example, people can be refused passage to areas requiring the yellow fever vaccine.  This should be way beyond the jurisdiction of the state of Florida.

Excellent point.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, SusieQft said:

I also agree that as a private business, they should be able to have their own policies.  The cruise industry and cruise passengers should make their voices heard, and I don't see how a ban on a vaccine requirement could stand.

But then many say the CDC should dictate policy on masks and vax, so private companies should be able to tell the CDC to stuff it also!  But let's go ahead and mandate unproven(and potentially risky)  vaccines.    

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Lonedaddy said:

But then many say the CDC should dictate policy on masks and vax, so private companies should be able to tell the CDC to stuff it also!  But let's go ahead and mandate unproven(and potentially risky)  vaccines.    

I don't believe that anyone is mandating a vaccine.  People are free to choose whether or not they take it.  What is being mandated is to be vaccinated prior to stepping on a cruise ship.  Cruising is the choice.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Since the ships are foreign registered and since NCLH is a Bahama corporation, there are significant legal questions as whether the State of Fla has any jurisdiction over the rules and regulations of Regent ships (or any other major ocean cruise line ship for that matter). Cruise lines have intentionally used foreign incorporation and ship registry to avoid US taxes and regulation. No criticism, just calling it as it is.

• Like 2

FDR was just on FOX TV within the past hour, giving an interview to Neil Cavuto.  This is his second appearance (on Fox) within the past 3 days and it seems to be a part of a pressure campaign to "up the ante" on the CDC.

FDR said he now has only 3 near term choices/alternatives left for NCLH at the moment.....Being able to sail in/out of US Waters; Moving embarkation/disembarkations/itineraries out of the US (including Miami) altogether; Or.....going bankrupt.

He went on to say that NCLH submitted its request/proposal to the CDC 8 days ago, to restart cruising in July and the plan included that everyone on the ship be vaccinated and that they would adhere to the 74 recommendations of the "Healthy Sail Panel", co-chaired by former FDA Commissioner Scott Gottleib, and form HHS Secretary Scott Levett, and yet,  "Still No Answer from the CDC".  FDR said that unlike a hotel or a restaurant...he has 3 things: A motor, propellers, and lots of water...and that he can move his ships to a lot of different places (that are) more welcoming than the US is at the moment.  He said that he's already announced that 3 of his ships will be operating out of Greece, the Dominican Republic, and Jamaica....and that later this month he'll be announcing additional vessels to be operating in foreign waters. 

He said the only choices he has (right now) is to leave the US...or to go bankrupt.  "$7 Billion was raised to "stay afloat" for the past 12 months and it's a lot of money, causing a lot of debt on our balance sheets and a lot dilution in value to our stockholders.  If we don't start operating soon...we're going to need a lot more capital.  So we're going to move our vessels to other places so that we can start operating again."

FDR finished by saying, "without the pandemic 33 million people would have cruised in the past year and 15 million of those people were Americans.  America is the largest cruise market, it's the most lucrative market, but it's not the only market.  We are prepared to go wherever the customers are and wherever we can safely operate."  He implied that "the ball is now in the CDC's court."   

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, pingpong1 said:

FDR was just on FOX TV within the past hour, giving an interview to Neil Cavuto.  This is his second appearance (on Fox) within the past 3 days and it seems to be a part of a pressure campaign to "up the ante" on the CDC.

FDR said he now has only 3 near term choices/alternatives left for NCLH at the moment.....Being able to sail in/out of US Waters; Moving embarkation/disembarkations/itineraries out of the US (including Miami) altogether; Or.....going bankrupt.

He went on to say that NCLH submitted its request/proposal to the CDC 8 days ago, to restart cruising in July and the plan included that everyone on the ship be vaccinated and that they would adhere to the 74 recommendations of the "Healthy Sail Panel", co-chaired by former FDA Commissioner Scott Gottleib, and form HHS Secretary Scott Levett, and yet,  "Still No Answer from the CDC".  FDR said that unlike a hotel or a restaurant...he has 3 things: A motor, propellers, and lots of water...and that he can move his ships to a lot of different places (that are) more welcoming than the US is at the moment.  He said that he's already announced that 3 of his ships will be operating out of Greece, the Dominican Republic, and Jamaica....and that later this month he'll be announcing additional vessels to be operating in foreign waters. 

He said the only choices he has (right now) is to leave the US...or to go bankrupt.  "$7 Billion was raised to "stay afloat" for the past 12 months and it's a lot of money, causing a lot of debt on our balance sheets and a lot dilution in value to our stockholders.  If we don't start operating soon...we're going to need a lot more capital.  So we're going to move our vessels to other places so that we can start operating again."

FDR finished by saying, "without the pandemic 33 million people would have cruised in the past year and 15 million of those people were Americans.  America is the largest cruise market, it's the most lucrative market, but it's not the only market.  We are prepared to go wherever the customers are and wherever we can safely operate."  He implied that "the ball is now in the CDC's court."   

Boom! There you go! And there goes NCL/Regent out of US waters to resume sailing elsewhere. I feel very good right now about my guess for a resumption of sailing date.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lonedaddy said:

Or let's go ahead and contract a potentially lethal virus and pass it on to others. Risk of death from vaccine is far lower in 50+ demographic than from covid.  There is always a balance between the risk of side effects from a vaccine and the effects of disease.  If you choose to take your chances with getting the disease that's up to you but you therefore have more potential to pass it on to others.  Therefore to protect society from your choice you will need to maintain social distancing which for me means a lack of access to cruise ships.  Your call

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Lonedaddy said:

"POTENTIALLY RISKY",  How did you come to that conclusion???I think most people would disagree with you..........

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pcardad said:

And there goes NCL/Regent out of US waters to resume sailing elsewhere.

Given how they are behind in “resuming from elsewhere” compared to other lines that created new itineraries (Crystal, Seabourn, Silversea, Celebrity, etc), will Regent try to modify existing itineraries (and preserve existing bookings), or scrap and replace? I’m hoping its the former.  

23 minutes ago, johng75370 said:

Given how they are behind in “resuming from elsewhere” compared to other lines that created new itineraries (Crystal, Seabourn, Silversea, Celebrity, etc), will Regent try to modify existing itineraries (and preserve existing bookings), or scrap and replace? I’m hoping its the former.  

I am OK with them being behind because the penalty for failure is far worse. They will probably run both existing and modified if they do indeed leave the US as Mr. Del Rio is suggesting.

While I am no friend of Fox “news” I agree 100% with FDR statements on it. The CDC has been too rough on cruise lines, compared with airlines, and other places. FDR proposes to cruise at 60% capacity, require all on board to be fully vaccinated, and require masks be worn onboard in most places. This would result in a safer environment than airports and airlines, which we would have to endure for a cruise that was from and to a non-US port. Indeed, if all on the ship were fully vaccinated, I see no reason for mask requirements while onboard (and neither does The CDC).  While I am not opposed to restrictions due to the pandemic, I only ask that they be applied evenly and fairly. Where cruise ships are involved, they have not.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Lonedaddy said:

Unproven vaccines?  I must have missed something.  Why I heard from a multitude of medical sources and journals, CDC, government agencies in countries around the world, news reports, etc., that the vaccines established immunity from Covid at a very high level.

It is so very enlightening to learn on CC that nothing has been proven by all the trials, and by all those medical journal articles that say that covid vaccines work, and by all the follow-up of the millions of vaccinated individuals around the world. :classic_dry: 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

"POTENTIALLY RISKY",  How did you come to that conclusion???I think most people would disagree with you..........

I guess the FDA just stopped the JnJ vax because they felt like it and this is over short term effects

23 minutes ago, Lonedaddy said:

I guess the FDA just stopped the JnJ vax because they felt like it and this is over short term effects

6 cases out of over 7 million vaccinated....more people die every year after being kicked by a cow.

Take it - don't take it. That's your choice and, so far, your right to refuse. But you won't be sailing on an NCL ship without it.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Pcardad said:

6 cases out of over 7 million vaccinated....more people die every year after being kicked by a cow.

Take it - don't take it. That's your choice and, so far, your right to refuse. But you won't be sailing on an NCL ship without it.

Thank you, I was just going to write that information,  We've had 563,000 people in the US die, 2.9 million die world wide.  In most cases a Doctor can work/help a patient with a reaction-however it's much harder once they get Covid without the vaccination.  People said you need not wear a mask, how did that work out?Yes I glad I got my vaccination and hope to be on a ship when the time comes.  

So Pcardad, I greed with you 100%,..........

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Pcardad said:

.........and 4 times as many people die from Blood Clots directly as a result of taking either the Contraceptive Pill or HRT tablets than who die from complications possible linked to the Covid vaccines.

Everything we do in life has a Risk - we just need to accept this and manage our "Own Risk" and get on with life before we all die.

Too many folk IMHO love to find something to worry about...........

So Pcardard, we are 100% singing from the same hymn sheet. 

• Like 6

I fear I'm (once again) standing on the very edge of a Rabbit Hole but......

How do we explain the fact that many states/cities that had rather lax/relaxed/non-mandated adherence to mask wearing had lower rates of infection and death....than some states/populations who treated mask wearing as a near "religious observance" and experienced much higher rates of infection/death?  Just wondering?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My friend is a Physicians Asst. at a cosmetology/spa place. We laughed when she told me about the patients that refuse the Covid vaccine but are getting Botox. She tells them " Do you know what is in this stuff you are putting in your body?"  LOL!

• Haha 1