Jeans at dinner?

nikken79

OMG......you don't know what you've done !

You have asked the dreaded "Jeans" question ! LoL

OFFICIAL POLICY: Carnival requests no jeans in the dining room for dinner.

jeans and shorts are ok for lunch.

NOW...you are going to get Dozens of answers to this question.

People are split on this subject. Some feel they should be free to wear anything they want to dinner.

Others will argue, that those people should go to the alternative dining buffet area.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> OFFICIAL POLICY: Carnival requests no jeans in the dining room for dinner.

jeans and shorts are ok for lunch.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually that's not true. Jeans aren't mentioned in their dress code anywhere.

Kristi - Atom.gif

"No shoes, no shirt, no problem..."

Fantasy 3/95, Fascination 12/01, Conquest 1/03, Glory 9/03, Conquest 1/04, Mariner 9/04, Miracle 2/05

Hi. In my opinion, "casual resort wear" is not jeans. Think of a tropical resort - light slacks (Dockers?), collared shirts, either pressed cotton or golf type. You'll also see gentlemen on non-formal nights in sports jackets with or without ties. Most folks who opt to dine in a formal setting (and the dining room is always set formally w/waiters in uniform), adhere to the guidelines.

Should you choose something less (like short/jeans/tees), then that is why Carnival offers the alternative dining - Lido buffet.

Oh - and welcome to the board! icon_smile.gif

Festivale 1987

Carnivale 1988

Mardi Gras 1989

Pacific Princess 1990

Norway 1994

Holiday 2001

Holiday 2002

Holiday 2003

Whether or not it's OK is up for debate. You will see people wearing them though, so you won't feel out of place if you do.

Jubilee..May 2002

Sensation...May 2003

Glory...April 2004

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;4;17;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Host Kristi

You are quite correct. Sorry, I did not do it on purpose & I was trying not to take sides. I guess I was just remembering it the way my mind read it.

That was my Mistake. I was not trying to mislead or lie to the OP.

<u>FROM CARNIVL'S WEB SITE</u>:

Depending on the length of the cruise, <U>either formal dress or casual resort wear is required in the Dining Room</U>.

The dress requirement for children is the same.

<u>For those not wanting to dress up, the Lido restaurants are open nightly</u> (with the exception of the last evening of the cruise), and have a casual dress code. Formal Wear: tuxedo (optional); suit and tie; sport coat, tie and slacks; evening gown; cocktail dress; pantsuit Casual Resort Wear: sport shirts and slacks; dresses; skirts; pantsuit

NOTE: Shorts, t-shirts and bathing attire are not permitted in the Dining Room during dinner.

In my mind, the above statement, taken from Carnivals Web Site, would mean no jeans. I suppose, the term "Casual Resort Wear" leaves something open for interpetation. But I do feel the the following statement..makes it fairly clear (To Me) .<u>For those not wanting to dress up, the Lido restaurants are open nightly</u>

Although I have worn Black Jeans on the first night of the cruise a couple times myself.

Is there a dress code for the dining room? (click here) (Link to Carnivls Web Site)

May I add the following taken from a previous post.

Even our own Cruist Critic website -- the place where we'll all posting right now to answer all of our cruise-related questions -- suggests:

While many passengers dress to the nines, some, quite frankly, show up for events looking like slobs. This is not a good nor pleasant event. For the sake of all around you, please dress according to the shipboard code, which is always outlined in the daily program. If "formal" wear is requested that means a tuxedo or suit for men, cocktail dress or gown for women. Informal means jacket and perhaps a tie, attractive evening outfit for women; casual translates into chic resort wear, not warm-ups, short shorts or blue jeans.

BTW Price paid or designer label do not change the fact that jeans made of denim are still jeans made of denim.

Sometimes what you read in your daily ship paper is different then the general dress code rules. Now there are some ships, HAL being one that do state no jeans allowed in the evening. So I went and pulled my daily from Carnvial Legend for Jan. 17,2003. It states:

"Dress code for this evening is 'Elegantly Casual' No shorts are permitted in the Dining Room. Thank you!" Certaintly this is open to interpetation here but I see nothing "Elegant" about a pair of jeans, designer or not! I could see where many would think it has become acceptable to wear a nice pair of pressed jeans. However even though they so graciously used those 2 little words at the end "Thank you" there will always be some jerk to show up in shorts and they won't do a thing about it. Bottom line, I'd rather see jeans then shorts.

That would mean they are not too bright vs. just being a jerk.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2003;07;19;13;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Till we sail on the Zuiderdam

Til we sail on the Mariner of The Seas RCL

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=808000&cdt=2004;3;7;12;01;00&timezone=GMT-0500

until we sail on the Disney Wonder

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ff00&cdt=2003;10;09;12;01;00&timezone=GMT-0500

til we sail the ms Maasdam

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=808000&cdt=2004;05;29;11;30;00&timezone=GMT-0500

As often as this question comes up, I can still not understand why people still ask the question? This is one horse that has been kicked to death!! I think of the non-formal dining room nights, I think business casual. Would you wear jeans to a fancy non-formal restaurant? How about business casual attire for work? Does that include jeans? Jeans are jeans, whether they look nice or are stonewashed and faded. Otherwise, we'd have a different name for them. Heck, nobody is a bigger non-conformist than me, but I would NEVER think of wearing jeans in the dining room in the evening. EVER. But people still do ....

That's is what you get here, opinions and plenty of them .....

<html>

<head>

<title></title>

</head>

<body>

<font color="#FF0000">Grand Princess 2-2001</font>

<font color="#0000FF">Grand Princess 12-2001</font>

<font color="#FF8000">Carnival Paradise 3-2002</font>

<font color="#FF00FF">Carnival Destiny 10-2002</font>

<font color="#008000">Golden Princess 10-2003</font>

<font color="#0000A0">Carnival Legend 6-8-2004</font>

dice.gif

</body>

</html>

OK....

I figure that unless you are planning an excursion that includes horseback riding, there is no reason to even PACK jeans.

I don't think jeans belong on any cruise ship, whether it's HAL or Carnival.

This is JMHO...don't start freaking out on me.

I believe in Miracles

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;6;19;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

MIRACLE JUNE 19, 2004

Calm Seas, Good Friends

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>As often as this question comes up, I can still not understand why people still ask the question?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>The OP is fairly new here and is asking a very valid question. If Carnival would address the issue of jeans, there would be no question. As it is now, it is left up to the individual to figure out whether jeans are appropriate attire on casual nights. Whether anyone here feels jeans are appropriate or not, the fact is I often see many people wearing jeans to dinner, especially the first & last nights. And for the record, I don't wear jeans at any point on a cruise.

Beth

~~~~~~~~~~~

Countdown to Glory

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;05;22;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Emerald Seas 6/86

Emerald Seas 11/87

S.S. Royale 10/88

Celebration 6/97

Grandeur of the Seas 6/98

Sensation 6/99

Carnival Triumph 6/00

Carnival Triumph 11/17/01

Enchantment of the Seas 10/27/02

Carnival Victory 5/25/03

Carnival Glory 5/22/04

Beth

If you would read the post by host Kristi where she posted Carnival's policy you will see that they have addressed the jeans issue. They define just what is formal and casual resort wear and jeans do not fit into that definition

I agree that no jeans is very strongly 'implied' in both the capers and the dress code from the website, one of the problems with Carnival and its position as a budget line (even though I like Carnival best because of the party atmosphere) you will always have people that think the rules/customs/attire requests dont apply to them or just dont mind looking like they bought their wardrobe at a garage sale. The other lines dont have the problem to the same effect because if Joe Richie CEO of MultiBigCompany Inc. pays $15,000 for his Crystal cruise he wont be wearing his dungarees to dinner. Its a generalization I know but in many cases, manners come with money.

Ecstasy 4/00

Carnival Triumph 6/01

Carnival Victory 4/02

Carnival Glory 7/04

Go ahead, wear jeans, you'll just make me look even better! icon_cool.gif

no but really, I don't see how jeans would even be comfortable on a cruise. I didn't even pack any when I went. For men, I would think Khaki's, Dockers etc would be more comfortable than jeans, and they make a guy look so much better, just add a polo shirt and voila - you're ready for dinner. ( except for formal night)

Carnival GLory 11/06/04

Carnival Legend 2/03 ( had to cancel at last minute)

Carnival Pride 4/27/02

Sitmar Fairsea 4/ 1983 ( I was just a little kid!!)

I know it is wrong to say, but I love when this topic comes up, or better yet diapers in the pool and kids in the hot tub....lol.

I just love to read the responses. And I would have to go with the majority here in this post, I would say no jeans.

Beth icon_biggrin.gif

Something I once read on this board that I always liked and agreed with is: "Formal means Formal but . . . Somebody’s got to be 'the lowest common denominator.' Just don't let it be you!"

I would agree, also, that there is no place in the dining room for jeans........

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2005;1;22;22;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Serenade of the Seas

You will see some tacky things at dinner even on formal night. But it says right in the Carnival caper what "suggested wear" is every day. It does say right in the caper I READ IT 3 WEEKS AGO ON MIRACLE-no jeans and no shorts please.

Problem is it says "suggested wear" and that is the way people take it. Khakis always look nice and are just a step above jeans. But personally I won't complain after my last cruise on Miracle. My neighbors on FORMAL night-not only wore jeans but dirty worn out ones-the type your hubby would wear to chnage the oil in the car etc. Also they did not bother to brush their hair or wash-they looked slimy and dirty. After seeing that I will never complain about anyone wearing jeans, shorts, capris or coming nude at dinner as long as they come clean.

Carnival Tropicale 10/15/98 Western Caribbean

RCCL Sovereign of the Seas 11/22/99 Bahamas

Carnival Fascination 09/23/00 Southern caribbean

HAL Statendam 05/20/01 Alaska

RCCL Sovereign of the Seas 11/08/01 Bahamas

Pacific Princess 09/29/02 Bermuda

Carnival Inspiration 12/14/03 Western caribbean

Carnival Miracle 04/09/04 Bahamas

cruisedawg2001 there is an exception-cruisewest-you are allowed to wear shorts and jeans to dinner-no formal night-wear is always casual.They don't come cheap either-it starts at like $5000 a person. I know because we looked into cruising with them-decided against it-too rich for our blood.

Carnival Tropicale 10/15/98 Western Caribbean

RCCL Sovereign of the Seas 11/22/99 Bahamas

Carnival Fascination 09/23/00 Southern caribbean

HAL Statendam 05/20/01 Alaska

RCCL Sovereign of the Seas 11/08/01 Bahamas

Pacific Princess 09/29/02 Bermuda

Carnival Inspiration 12/14/03 Western caribbean

Carnival Miracle 04/09/04 Bahamas

What if they are really NICE jeans???

Join the "Saints & Sinners" on the Sensational Cruise From The Bayou

Guy

Imagination 12/96, Destiny 12/98, Fantasy 09/01,

Victory 12/02, Sensation 10/04, Triumph 01/05

Sensational Group Cruise from the Bayou

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=FF0000&cdt=2004;10;23;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Till We Triumph!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2005;01;15;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500saintsinners.gif

Disclaimer: This poll/post/response and all subsequent responses are provided for informational purposes only. No advocacy of any actions or lack thereof by specific individuals of either gender that may respond is either expressed or implied. Reading of this poll/post/response and the subsequent thread is undertaken at the reader's sole risk and responsibility. Neither the poster of this poll/post/response, NOR Cruise Critic take responsibilty for subsequent responses and/or individual replies to this poll/post/response, or this continuing thread.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by halos:

Miami...you are joking......right?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That would be a correct assumption. icon_rolleyes.gif

Unless of course you are talking about those black denim jeans . . .

Join the "Saints & Sinners" on the Sensational Cruise From The Bayou

Guy

Imagination 12/96, Destiny 12/98, Fantasy 09/01,

Victory 12/02, Sensation 10/04, Triumph 01/05

Sensational Group Cruise from the Bayou

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=FF0000&cdt=2004;10;23;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Till We Triumph!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2005;01;15;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500saintsinners.gif

Disclaimer: This poll/post/response and all subsequent responses are provided for informational purposes only. No advocacy of any actions or lack thereof by specific individuals of either gender that may respond is either expressed or implied. Reading of this poll/post/response and the subsequent thread is undertaken at the reader's sole risk and responsibility. Neither the poster of this poll/post/response, NOR Cruise Critic take responsibilty for subsequent responses and/or individual replies to this poll/post/response, or this continuing thread.

Archived