Will Oceania be able to adapt itineraries "on the fly?"

USNA 72

Looking at Regatta as an example: she's supposed to go from Singapore to Australia in November 2021, spend a couple of months in and around Australia-New Zealand, and then off to French Polynesia in February.  If Australia/New Zealand remains closed to cruise ships this winter, what will/can Oceania do?  I admit that I know absolutely NOTHING about the logistical or administrative challenges if rerouting a cruise ship "on the fly."  My interest is tied to a FP cruise scheduled for March.  I assume similar issues may arise with other Oceania ships and itineraries.

16 minutes ago, USNA 72 said:

Looking at Regatta as an example: she's supposed to go from Singapore to Australia in November 2021, spend a couple of months in and around Australia-New Zealand, and then off to French Polynesia in February.  If Australia/New Zealand remains closed to cruise ships this winter, what will/can Oceania do?  I admit that I know absolutely NOTHING about the logistical or administrative challenges if rerouting a cruise ship "on the fly."  My interest is tied to a FP cruise scheduled for March.  I assume similar issues may arise with other Oceania ships and itineraries.

While it may be possible to skip Canada during the upcoming Alaska season (e.g., add Ensenada at a cruise starting from L.A./S.D. or even start at Ensenada), once Regatta heads west for the “down under” summer, it’s going to be “slim pickin’s” for NZ/OZ ports. On a somewhat related front, OZ recently announced a delay in the return of foreign university students until the spring (our spring, their autumn). That doesn’t bode well for cruise traffic.

So, what to do with Regatta?

I bet that there’s a sufficient number of O regulars who love transpacific cruises (including us). And given the current cost of air (e.g., bizclass at $12k+\- for RT to NZ or OZ), I’d find a RT transpacific LA-LA or SD-SD or even Ensenada-Ensenada cruise with flexible island stops (wherever would take us) a great cruise option. 

FWIW: We just traded a 2 week NZ/OZ (Jan/Feb 2022) for 2 week MIA-MIA (January 2022).

IMO, the MIA-MIA has a far better chance of going.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

FWIW: We just traded a 2 week NZ/OZ (Jan/Feb 2022) for 2 week MIA-MIA (January 2022).

We've booked the 2-week, January, 2023, OZ/NZ (mostly NZ) itinerary thinking it has a good chance of sailing.  Stateroom selections were slim pickings.  Hopefully airfares will retreat to more reasonable levels by then.

Edited by 1985rz1

Good luck. Cruise ships can and do change itineraries.  I have been on several cruises that made changes, skipped ports, changed times, stopped at new ports, and just stayed at sea.   Changes can happen for various reasons...storms, broken equipment, worker stoppage,  safety, sickness, accidents, covid, closures of a port, etc.  sometimes you will get notice before sailing. Sometimes it happens on the cruise.  It is what it is. You have no control.  I have been disappointed when we past by a port that I really wanted to visit.  Also, times can change. On one cruise, we arrived in Amsterdam 4 hours late for disembarkation.  Many people missed planes.  Messy.   Hope that all goes well, and cope when it doesn’t.  Have a backup plan.

2 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:
2 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

I bet that there’s a sufficient number of O regulars who love transpacific cruises (including us). And given the current cost of air (e.g., bizclass at $12k+\- for RT to NZ or OZ), I’d find a RT transpacific LA-LA or SD-SD or even Ensenada-Ensenada cruise with flexible island stops (wherever would take us) a great cruise option. 

The R/T to South Pacific from west coast would be attractive to us; but, too long for our kids who are still working.  I was sort of hoping that Regatta made it to Singapore and then if Oz is still shut down, go VFR Direct to Fiji, Samoa, American Samoa, and FP.  

Amending schedules earlier could allow for a LA/SD/Ensenada to FP cruise preceding the current set of FP cruises in February and March. 

I'm wondering if most of the Med itineraries can be "easily" adapted to safety concerns at that time.  In the Pacific, the distances and logistical issues just seem so much greater.

I appreciate the pleasant discussion on a topic that I understand is all idle speculation.

Thanks 

Greg

I think  any sailings that happen this year  will be altered according to the Covid situation

Americans may be all vaccinated   but many Countries  are still trying to get enough vaccine  for a 1st dose to their residents

Then you have the CDC  ..will cruises start/end in the USA ??  no one really knows

JMO

19 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

I have been disappointed when we past by a port that I really wanted to visit. 

Yeah  hate when that happens

we have sat outside the harbour  at Holyhead  watching  the waves  crash over the breakwall

Have tried several cruises  going there but to no avail  always something to prevent  landing

Think if I want to see Wales it will be  a land trip 😉

I am happy to see this thread appear as we wrestle with cancelling our Tokyo-Singapore cruise Oct. 28, '21. As of now, ports in Japan, Vietnam, China and Singapore are closed to tourism. The guessing game is nerve wracking, but I would rather know for certain to rebook now, rather than waiting.

Edited by mamaclark
left something out
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Redtravel said:

Good luck. Cruise ships can and do change itineraries.  I have been on several cruises that made changes, skipped ports, changed times, stopped at new ports, and just stayed at sea.   Changes can happen for various reasons...storms, broken equipment, worker stoppage,  safety, sickness, accidents, covid, closures of a port, etc.  sometimes you will get notice before sailing. Sometimes it happens on the cruise.  

I agree, many of us have had to execute Plan B (or C, D, or E) due to post embarkation itinerary changes/delays.  However, I was thinking more down the line of either Oceania or Oz pulling the plug on several weeks worth of sailings.  First, there are cruises to cancel and then maybe cruises to quickly add.  If Japan, China, Singapore, Australia and New Zealand are still closed to cruise ships in, say, October, does Oceania cnx those cruises and quickly market 28 day South Pacific cruises out of LA/SD/Ensenada? Or 15 day R/Ts to Hawaii? 

Bottom line is I have a Plan B (I don't like it, but I have one) if O cnx our FP cruise.  My question is, "What's Oceania's Plan B if Oz stays closed?"

1 hour ago, USNA 72 said:

I was sort of hoping that Regatta made it to Singapore and then if Oz is still shut down, go VFR Direct to Fiji, Samoa, American Samoa, and FP.  

A Bravo Zulu to you for coming up with possible solutions.

I don't think this would work unfortunately.

Countries such as Fiji, Samoa, Cook Islands are understandably very keen on joining the Australia & NZ quarantine free travel corridor which starts next week.

For those South Pacific countries to do so, I would think that may mean they would need to co-ordinate their own international arrivals with both Australia & NZ.

Edited by Tranquility Base
  • Like 1

As countries and ports open for cruising, lines will be able to quickly accommodate that, as long as they are sailing. One of those sea days out of Athens can become Split or Corfu for example.

If one stays shut down in cold storage, with a 90 day reaction time just  waiting, it becomes rather moot.

5 hours ago, mamaclark said:

I am happy to see this thread appear as we wrestle with cancelling our Tokyo-Singapore cruise Oct. 28, '21. As of now, ports in Japan, Vietnam, China and Singapore are closed to tourism. The guessing game is nerve wracking, but I would rather know for certain to rebook now, rather than waiting.

I’ve booked that cruise for October 2022 and I’m even worried that won’t go ahead.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Redtravel said:

Good luck. Cruise ships can and do change itineraries.  I have been on several cruises that made changes, skipped ports, changed times, stopped at new ports, and just stayed at sea.   Changes can happen for various reasons...storms, broken equipment, worker stoppage,  safety, sickness, accidents, covid, closures of a port, etc.  sometimes you will get notice before sailing. Sometimes it happens on the cruise.  It is what it is. You have no control.  I have been disappointed when we past by a port that I really wanted to visit.  Also, times can change. On one cruise, we arrived in Amsterdam 4 hours late for disembarkation.  Many people missed planes.  Messy.   Hope that all goes well, and cope when it doesn’t.  Have a backup plan.

Yeah....on a November 2019 cruise from Venice-Rome, we missed Kotor, Montenegro due to "Adriatic Sea conditions", and no dock.  So, it became Corfu, Greece.  We had no advance planning, but grateful they made the accommodations for a last minute change.  This was the same weather system that completely flooded Venice (we were there just 3 days before).  Was so looking forward to the sail in to Kotor, and a wonderful private day tour.  But.....  We know for sure that these things DO happen.  This one was a minor inconvenience, and we still made it enjoyable!😃

2 hours ago, DeanoNorthPerth said:

I’ve booked that cruise for October 2022 and I’m even worried that won’t go ahead.

That is  a long way off

Hopefully by 2022  covid will be history

11 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

While it may be possible to skip Canada during the upcoming Alaska season (e.g., add Ensenada at a cruise starting from L.A./S.D. or even start at Ensenada), once Regatta heads west for the “down under” summer, it’s going to be “slim pickin’s” for NZ/OZ ports. On a somewhat related front, OZ recently announced a delay in the return of foreign university students until the spring (our spring, their autumn). That doesn’t bode well for cruise traffic.

We also are on  a two week January 22..which are you on??? We are on January 14 to 28 RVA

Jancruz1

1 hour ago, DeanoNorthPerth said:

My concern is how quickly different variants are taking hold. The future is still uncertain.

Yes  the new variants  are being transported by humans

Hopefully the current vaccines will be as effective as they are saying

O can make changes, but more importantly can the pax follow?  Not every pax is retired or has unlimited cash.  People do have vacation windows and budgets.  Work, medical issues, budgets, time off, all play a role.  Last minute major changes will probably disastrously effect O's bottom line. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, floridatravelersforlife said:

O can make changes, but more importantly can the pax follow?  Not every pax is retired or has unlimited cash.  People do have vacation windows and budgets.  Work, medical issues, budgets, time off, all play a role.  Last minute major changes will probably disastrously effect O's bottom line. 

I agree with all the points you made.  It's probably unreasonable for O to announce in the middle of a Tokyo to Singapore cruise that they won't be going to Singapore or on to Sydney; but, rather, they're diverting to Hawaii.  Planning ahead I'd like to see them cancel the entire :Circle the Pacific" series of cruises with Regatta and instead divert to a series of California Coastal/West Coast to Hawaii cruises or something similar.  Announcing that in September or so and offering all of us displaced a "move over" might minimize the pain for both O and their clientele.

Greg

10 hours ago, DeanoNorthPerth said:

My concern is how quickly different variants are taking hold. The future is still uncertain.

I agree with you. We're booked for 9/22 and will keep our fingers crossed. And not freak out between now and then. It's just a vacation.

1 hour ago, floridatravelersforlife said:

Like it or not, each one of us isn’t even a rounding error in O’s daily “bottom line.” So, there will be no gloom and doom disasters if  there needs to be a significant itinerary change - even in the start and end ports of an itinerary. 

Pre/post cruise hotels can be reserved to include free cancellation. Most major airlines currently offer no change fees. Even travel insurance can be moved at no cost (with some insurers).

Yes, it requires some research on the part of passengers. But, flexibility is doable.

• Like 1

On 4/13/2021 at 7:36 PM, pinotlover said:

As countries and ports open for cruising, lines will be able to quickly accommodate that, as long as they are sailing. One of those sea days out of Athens can become Split or Corfu for example.

It's not always as easy as that right now, with COVID. For example the cruises looking to start up out of Athens this summer are not currently accepted into Croatia, so Split is off the table. I think Albania is the same. Not sure what the situation in Turkey is -- someone in Greece posted that they are not accepted cruise ships through end of 2021 but I have not found any confirmation on that online via official tourism or embassy sites.

The mass market lines that are trying to operate out of Athens this summer seem to be limited to Greece, Cyprus and Israel. At least for now.