More NCL ships moving to ports outside USA?

Sand and Seas

Del Rio interviewed by Cavuto on Fox News today talked about moving cruises to start outside of USA (as previously announced.)

He then said "....later this month we will announce additional vessels....We are going to move our vessels so we can survive."

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Sand and Seas said:

Del Rio interviewed by Cavuto on Fox News today talked about moving cruises to start outside of USA (as previously announced.)

He then said "....later this month we will announce additional vessels....We are going to move our vessels so we can survive."

Saw that segment.  Sounds like that's the plan.  As FDR mentioned, they've undertaken the most rigorous health and safety processes in the travel industry.  They aren't going to change their health procedures (as well they shouldn't).  So, sounds like they're pulling out of the FL ports and announcing others to take their place.

• Like 5

I kinda like the concept, I can start my vacation even earlier on a tropical island. I just wish the airfare wasn’t so expensive. About $800 pp round trip is a lot more than I’m use to paying. 

• Like 2

I’ve been monitoring pricing on some of these newly announced sailings (specially Royal’s from Nassau) and fares have been skyrocketing on several sailings, which makes me thing that the demand is there. 

I know that flying to go on a cruise is deal breaker for many, but personally I have no issues doing so. I actually think that some of these new ports of embarkation outside of the US may actually survive even after cruising resumes in the US if itineraries and pricing are attractive.

I think that the prospect of beginning a vacation with a pre-cruise stay at an all-inclusive in Jamaica or the Dominican Republic sounds very enticing, specially if it’s followed by an itinerary that allows me to visit ports in the Caribbean normally not available on the cookie cutter and repetitive itineraries from Florida. 

• Like 8

If cruising out of US is the way to survive, you can't blame the cruiselines for doing so.  Everyone needs to try to survive.

Cuba has been one of the most economical places in the Caribbeans.  Canadians and Europeans liked to go there, and it has been good that it hasn't been over-run by Americans, yet.   If the US government will normalize relations with Cuba, that can add cruising choices there.

• Like 3

I am quite sure I am in a large population of loyal cruisers who will feel the added costs and hassles aren't worth it and will make other vacation choices.  I hope it helps the cruise lines survive but I worry it's not enough and we really have to have a protocol that allows US sailing soon enough.  A protocol that is not so hard to achieve, that reflects vaccines and less emphasis on surface cleaning.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, PelicanBill said:

I am quite sure I am in a large population of loyal cruisers who will feel the added costs and hassles aren't worth it and will make other vacation choices.  I hope it helps the cruise lines survive but I worry it's not enough and we really have to have a protocol that allows US sailing soon enough.  A protocol that is not so hard to achieve, that reflects vaccines and less emphasis on surface cleaning.

I’m betting New Orleans, Galveston, L.A., NYC will also absorb the FL cruise ship traffic, in addition to the Caribbean, Bermuda and Bahama ports.  FL will be left out if they continue to fight the cruise industry’s safety and health edicts.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Sand and Seas said:

I saw that also, I had to chuckle when he said "We are going to move our vessels so we can survive" This coming from a guy who got 36M in 2020 Lol

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

At the moment, there is no FL to pull out of. The ports don’t exist. 

I'm sure Savannah, Charleston, Norfolk, Baltimore, Bayonne, and NYC would gladly pickup where Fl left off

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

They might not be currently operational but they most certainly exist.

Right? I'm pretty sure Port of Miami and Port Canaveral didn't just disappear off the map. 😁

• Like 3

2 hours ago, graphicguy said:

I’m betting New Orleans, Galveston, L.A., NYC will also absorb the FL cruise ship traffic, in addition to the Caribbean, Bermuda and Bahama ports.  FL will be left out if they continue to fight the cruise industry’s safety and health edicts.

With or without a vaccine requirement, there will be no US ports absorbing the Florida schedule until the CDC modifies the current Conditionals to Sail order. Once they do, I suspect Florida will get right back in the game. They have too much to lose otherwise. Only time will tell, but I suspect it highly unlikely we will see cruises from Texas, Cali, and NY while none from Florida. In fact, there is speculation that NY and NJ are going to make a formal announcement banning cruise ships until spring of 2022. This game is far from over.

• Like 3

Greetings from South Beach, Everyone. The cruise industry in Miami is a huge part of the economy . Port of Miami is a container port, as well. What has happened here is a catastrophe. Every cruise ship is a floating small town carrying everything its passengers need. Each and every one of those items was put on the ship by human activity. Thousands of the humans involved in that supply chain were suddenly stopped with no warning. If cruising resumes here in Miami, hopefully they will begin to recover.

I am an  enthusiastic cruiser. Riviera and Explorer are my favorite ships, and I am booked  in December on the Bliss with my sister. It is supposed to sail from here.  We shall see.

Mary

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, warburg said:

Greetings from South Beach, Everyone. The cruise industry in Miami is a huge part of the economy . Port of Miami is a container port, as well. What has happened here is a catastrophe. Every cruise ship is a floating small town carrying everything its passengers need. Each and every one of those items was put on the ship by human activity. Thousands of the humans involved in that supply chain were suddenly stopped with no warning. If cruising resumes here in Miami, hopefully they will begin to recover.

I am an  enthusiastic cruiser. Riviera and Explorer are my favorite ships, and I am booked  in December on the Bliss with my sister. It is supposed to sail from here.  We shall see.

Mary

I suggested this on another thread, but is there anything keeping a cruise line from stocking up its provisions in PoM or PC and then picking up passengers in the DR, Bahamas, or Jamaica? It wouldn't help the FL restaurants, hotels, taxi drivers, etc but it would help the companies that stock the provisions.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

I suggested this on another thread, but is there anything keeping a cruise line from stocking up its provisions in PoM or PC and then picking up passengers in the DR, Bahamas, or Jamaica?

It seems like Royal will be provisioning their Nassau and Bermuda trips from the USA via Grand Bahama Island. Both ships will be calling at Grand Bahama Island. On the Vision of the Seas from Bermuda, the stop in GBI will be strictly a technical call (from 5pm until 2am) for the sole purpose of provisioning and refueling. Most likely the provisions will be arriving in GBI from the US. I don’t know the full logistics of it, but it sounds interesting. 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Tapi said:

It seems like Royal will be provisioning their Nassau and Bermuda trips from the USA via Grand Bahama Island. Both ships will be calling at Grand Bahama Island. On the Vision of the Seas from Bermuda, the stop in GBI will be strictly a technical call (from 5pm until 2am) for the sole purpose of provisioning and refueling. Most likely the provisions will be arriving in GBI from the US. I don’t know the full logistics of it, but it sounds interesting. 

Thank you, @Tapi

5 hours ago, graphicguy said:

I’m betting New Orleans, Galveston, L.A., NYC will also absorb the FL cruise ship traffic

4 hours ago, Laszlo said:

I'm sure Savannah, Charleston, Norfolk, Baltimore, Bayonne, and NYC would gladly pickup where Fl left off

NYC will not even open its restaurants; those ports are likely to be the last to open.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, graphicguy said:

FL will be left out if they continue to fight the cruise industry’s safety and health edicts.

Yeah that is NOT going to happen. Plus most people in Florida prefer to have their rights protected.

Edited by skywonder
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, HuliHuli said:

NYC will not even open its restaurants; those ports are likely to be the last to open.

While I don't disagree that NY City is unlikely to reopen its port to cruise ships any time soon,  restaurants in the city are currently open, at 50% capacity.

https://ny.eater.com/2021/3/10/22323746/nyc-restaurants-50-percent-capacity-indoors-march-19

14 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

I suggested this on another thread, but is there anything keeping a cruise line from stocking up its provisions in PoM or PC and then picking up passengers in the DR, Bahamas, or Jamaica? It wouldn't help the FL restaurants, hotels, taxi drivers, etc but it would help the companies that stock the provisions.

Erm....PoM and PC were both in USA waters, the last time I looked....😉

14 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

With or without a vaccine requirement, there will be no US ports absorbing the Florida schedule until the CDC modifies the current Conditionals to Sail order. Once they do, I suspect Florida will get right back in the game. They have too much to lose otherwise. Only time will tell, but I suspect it highly unlikely we will see cruises from Texas, Cali, and NY while none from Florida. In fact, there is speculation that NY and NJ are going to make a formal announcement banning cruise ships until spring of 2022. This game is far from over.

Just curious, are you speculating NY and NJ making a formal announcement? If not you, who are these people contemplating making this announcement? Please share the “facts”  you have to support this?

3 hours ago, hamrag said:

Erm....PoM and PC were both in USA waters, the last time I looked....😉

That's right, they are. 😃 As I was told by @chengkp75 on another thread, it would be possible to load provisions in those ports and then sail to other countries without violating the PVSA or the Jones Act, since no passengers would be carried and the ships would not be traveling between two US ports.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1